10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

chrismb wrote:Blimey! How much proof do we need? I mean, if a little hump of gammas were detected once in around the 15 minute time-frame around when Rossi says he got his device started, so there is simply no need to turn this thing off and start it up again, to see if it was just co-incidental with background cosmics, is there?

Once we have one data-point of hearsay, science is made!!
Quite the contrary, in my opinion at least. Don't know about parallel's. As Goldfinger said, "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." If I had a pet E-Cat I would follow it around with a gamma detector everywhere it went.
to Mr. Rossi chrismb wrote:If *I* am an imbecile with my 'European Engineering Training' what status of intellect are you, dear sir?
Oh, dear, I do hope this doesn't all end in a "pistols at dawn" affair. :P
D Tibbets wrote:The neutron issues, and mention of high pulsed radiation levels at the beginning and end of the run makes no sense. It has been emphazized that the heat production is constant, not highly erratic of pulsed. If the start up radiation pulse is real and a nuclear process, then the radiation disappears, or almost disappears, that implies that there are at least two separate processes occurring- two unexplained new physics processes occurring, not one. And, why would it pulse again at the end?. If you claim that the neutrons produced in some way are near thermal, then claim that they are captured befor they can reach the neutron detector tube, then neutron production that lasts months may not be detectable. But this implies that that the claimed neutron burst at the begining must have more energy (eV) in order to reach the detector. The detector can collet the neutrons for hours, perhaps days. If the initial burst of neutrons have the same kinetic energy as the trickle of neutrons later, then if the bubble detector was filled with bubbles in only a few seconds or less, then even fluxes of millions of fewer neutrons would give a signal with exposure times 10,000 to 100,000 linger time frames. And if the initial neutron burst was even greater, with all of the energy being absorbed within the machine, then you would need to worry about the machine exploding is a steam explosion. The claimed neutrons would need to be of different energies (different nuclear reactions) or only neutrons were produced at startup- this would preclude any neutron reactions being involved with nuclear reactions that produces energy (or consumes it) during the weeks of claimed steady state heating. This would preclude chemosynthesis of copper from nickel and neutrons. That would only leave nickel plus protons, which normally require tremendous input kinetic energy. But, oOf course there is the secret catalyst :roll:

If you mean the the neutron counts spike at the beginning from a shock- from a pulse of neutron radiation, but not later, then again this would require two completely separate nuclear processes that are involved.
If you mean a shock, such a 'BOOM' , again I find this curious. Bubble neutron detectors work by local vaporization of a superheated liquid gel. It is extremely resistant to electronic noise or other effects. A shock wave may trigger artifacts, but I suggest this shock wave would be obvious to anyone in the room, or possibly even in the building, burst tubes, broken windows, breaking of the glass tube that contains the neutron detecting gel, etc.
Dan, just to be clear, the neutron burst reported by Prof. Levi, and the gamma ray burst reported by Prof. Celani were two completely separate events. Celani was only at the January 14 demonstration, as far as I know. Prof. Levi's neutron burst apparently occurred during a private test of the device. Here is a quotation from the video:
Giuseppe Levi wrote:Once it exceeds a critical temperature value — it takes a while, because the system needs to load and the reaction has spread to the whole sample — after 20 or 30 minutes it is capable of working by itself; and if you don't suddenly cool it down, change the pressure or perform a switch off maneuver, it will not shut down. [unintelligible] [time?] ago, when I was working with Focardi, I made a couple of rough [calculations?] and said: "Listen, warn Rossi that this thing might explode". I was running a couple of calculations on the [micro]granules, and the amount of energy they were capable of absorbing and releasing in return...at a certain point it began to...I saw that it was capable of being self-sustaining. And blow up it did! This is a good sign — it means that it's working. There is no source of energy which will not run out of control, if it works. They say, that is Rossi said to me — by the way, I must be super-cautious about everything I get told, meaning that I must shelve the information and say: "Perhaps...that's very nice...maybe some day we will investigate it". — that on one occasion an experiment of his blew up and that his neutron detectors (these detectors have a special gel which fills up with bubbles if neutrons are emitted, you can find them on the Internet as well) were found full of bubbles. Experimental fact: explosion + bubbles. Bubbles can also be the result of mechanical shock, so you cannot be sure about the neutrons.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Ivy Matt wrote:
chrismb wrote:Blimey! How much proof do we need? I mean, if a little hump of gammas were detected once in around the 15 minute time-frame around when Rossi says he got his device started, so there is simply no need to turn this thing off and start it up again, to see if it was just co-incidental with background cosmics, is there?

Once we have one data-point of hearsay, science is made!!
Quite the contrary, in my opinion at least. Don't know about parallel's. As Goldfinger said, "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action." If I had a pet E-Cat I would follow it around with a gamma detector everywhere it went.
to Mr. Rossi chrismb wrote:If *I* am an imbecile with my 'European Engineering Training' what status of intellect are you, dear sir?
Oh, dear, I do hope this doesn't all end in a "pistols at dawn" affair. :P
D Tibbets wrote:The neutron issues, and mention of high pulsed radiation levels at the beginning and end of the run makes no sense. It has been emphazized that the heat production is constant, not highly erratic of pulsed. If the start up radiation pulse is real and a nuclear process, then the radiation disappears, or almost disappears, that implies that there are at least two separate processes occurring- two unexplained new physics processes occurring, not one. And, why would it pulse again at the end?. If you claim that the neutrons produced in some way are near thermal, then claim that they are captured befor they can reach the neutron detector tube, then neutron production that lasts months may not be detectable. But this implies that that the claimed neutron burst at the begining must have more energy (eV) in order to reach the detector. The detector can collet the neutrons for hours, perhaps days. If the initial burst of neutrons have the same kinetic energy as the trickle of neutrons later, then if the bubble detector was filled with bubbles in only a few seconds or less, then even fluxes of millions of fewer neutrons would give a signal with exposure times 10,000 to 100,000 linger time frames. And if the initial neutron burst was even greater, with all of the energy being absorbed within the machine, then you would need to worry about the machine exploding is a steam explosion. The claimed neutrons would need to be of different energies (different nuclear reactions) or only neutrons were produced at startup- this would preclude any neutron reactions being involved with nuclear reactions that produces energy (or consumes it) during the weeks of claimed steady state heating. This would preclude chemosynthesis of copper from nickel and neutrons. That would only leave nickel plus protons, which normally require tremendous input kinetic energy. But, oOf course there is the secret catalyst :roll:

If you mean the the neutron counts spike at the beginning from a shock- from a pulse of neutron radiation, but not later, then again this would require two completely separate nuclear processes that are involved.
If you mean a shock, such a 'BOOM' , again I find this curious. Bubble neutron detectors work by local vaporization of a superheated liquid gel. It is extremely resistant to electronic noise or other effects. A shock wave may trigger artifacts, but I suggest this shock wave would be obvious to anyone in the room, or possibly even in the building, burst tubes, broken windows, breaking of the glass tube that contains the neutron detecting gel, etc.
Dan, just to be clear, the neutron burst reported by Prof. Levi, and the gamma ray burst reported by Prof. Celani were two completely separate events. Celani was only at the January 14 demonstration, as far as I know. Prof. Levi's neutron burst apparently occurred during a private test of the device. Here is a quotation from the video:
Giuseppe Levi wrote:Once it exceeds a critical temperature value — it takes a while, because the system needs to load and the reaction has spread to the whole sample — after 20 or 30 minutes it is capable of working by itself; and if you don't suddenly cool it down, change the pressure or perform a switch off maneuver, it will not shut down. [unintelligible] [time?] ago, when I was working with Focardi, I made a couple of rough [calculations?] and said: "Listen, warn Rossi that this thing might explode". I was running a couple of calculations on the [micro]granules, and the amount of energy they were capable of absorbing and releasing in return...at a certain point it began to...I saw that it was capable of being self-sustaining. And blow up it did! This is a good sign — it means that it's working. There is no source of energy which will not run out of control, if it works. They say, that is Rossi said to me — by the way, I must be super-cautious about everything I get told, meaning that I must shelve the information and say: "Perhaps...that's very nice...maybe some day we will investigate it". — that on one occasion an experiment of his blew up and that his neutron detectors (these detectors have a special gel which fills up with bubbles if neutrons are emitted, you can find them on the Internet as well) were found full of bubbles. Experimental fact: explosion + bubbles. Bubbles can also be the result of mechanical shock, so you cannot be sure about the neutrons.
Low intensity burst indications from sensitive neutron or gamma detectors can (I'm not an expert but its sort of obvious) be due many things:
cosmic rays
electrical noise
etc

Some people on this thread are treating rossi's device as though it is likely to work, and any experimental result that could be interpreted (incorrectly) positive is some sort of proof. By some sort of proof I mean that some feel there are so many anomalies that there must be some (LENR etc) effect behind it. A large quantity of incorrect science proves the case as much as a single well-conducted experiment. But it does not. The bad experiments are only reported when the experimental error gives apparently positive results.

I have a little sympathy with excess heat Ni-H - lots of people have reported it and some of them have better experimental technique than rossi, though it seems the better the experimenter the smaller the excess becomes. And none of the examples we have are even half-way convincing.

I have no sympathy with these other indications, it is just not reasonable for there to be erratic v low level bursts when if associated with some LENR we would expect continuous higher level, and we know erratic low level bursts have other causes.

But mainly, I find the 200 page thread silly since rossi:
(a) has no evidence
(b) has no training
(c) says stupid things
(d) has a shady past

Yet he sustains this amazing net buzz, and doubtless will atrract real money from the usual suspects with more money than sense who like get rich quick schemes.

It is a shame because it totally debases the decent work done by people with decent scientific method on fringe science to chase dreams and very occasionally catch something unusual.

Tom

JoeP

Post by JoeP »

I doubt all the people involved with Rossi are trying to deceive. Doesn't make sense for his associates, at least, who will be professionally ruined if they are willfully involved in a scam. Rossi himself may be fooled.

The most likely explanation that fits all the facts is that he is making incorrect measurements. If someone can get him to stop boiling water by cranking up the flow rate so that the heat output can be measured via the volume of water change in temperature without generating steam, I think it will be clear as to what the effect is, if anything. Easy to show too -- just need a timer and the output and input reservoirs on video with a timer and temp probes.

No doubt we will find out soon enough if DGT doesn't start producing power plants.

Any the experiment looks easy enough to replicate with a couple thousand bucks of equipment (or less). Even without the "secret ingredients."

My hope is that the effect is real, of course. But it seems too good to be true.

Kahuna

Post by Kahuna »

JoeP wrote:I doubt all the people involved with Rossi are trying to deceive. Doesn't make sense for his associates, at least, who will be professionally ruined if they are willfully involved in a scam. Rossi himself may be fooled.

The most likely explanation that fits all the facts is that he is making incorrect measurements. If someone can get him to stop boiling water by cranking up the flow rate so that the heat output can be measured via the volume of water change in temperature without generating steam, I think it will be clear as to what the effect is, if anything. Easy to show too -- just need a timer and the output and input reservoirs on video with a timer and temp probes.

No doubt we will find out soon enough if DGT doesn't start producing power plants.

Any the experiment looks easy enough to replicate with a couple thousand bucks of equipment (or less). Even without the "secret ingredients."

My hope is that the effect is real, of course. But it seems too good to be true.
Well said Joe, but we should not have to wait for DGT as the UoB contract has been signed and Rossi has said (w/Levi confirming) that they are open to publish all experiment results, positive or negative. Based on the Krivit debacle, I suspect they are motivated to publish early and accurately. My guess is that they will do a DeltaT analysis w/o boiling water and use good flow rate measurment methods this time around. As you said, their reputations are on the line.

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Bruce,

I did some quick calculations on your results.

If your Mr. Steam is drawing 9KW and is putting around 7.8 kW into the water in the bucket while transferring 1.5kg of water over 7min then the steam from your mr steam (assuming it is at 100C) is around 30% water by mass.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Bruce wrote:I've been lurking for some time and have thoroughly enjoyed the last 200 entraining pages. I truly hope Rossi has found something so life changing. I liked chrismb's demo so much I thought I'd try a little demo myself. I have a 10kW steam generator so I took a little video and made a couple measurements.

Crude "demo" details:

Mr. Steam MS Super 1 - 10kW <http://www.mrsteam.com/products/steamba ... ecs01.html>
Input Voltage: ~240V
Measured input current: ~39A (see video)
~25' of 1/2" copper tubing to shower steam outlet (somewhat insulated)
11' of 5/8" ID insulated heater hose

Youtube video: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRpnN6CAd8>

Steam output placed in 5 gallon bucket of cold water for ~7mins
Start water temp: 21.3C
Start water weight: 12.3kg

End water temp: 81.0C
End water weight: 13.8kg

I'll leave the calculation of the output power at the end of the hose as an exercise for the reader, but I'm pretty sure it's significantly less than 10kW of steam :D

Water temp at inlet of Mr Steam ~61C.

Not a real experiment by any means, but fun none the less.

Back to lurking.

Bruce
Sounds pretty accurate to me.

The machine was working at around 9Kw power, and in those 7 minutes it delivered: 230*39*(7/60)=1050 Watt = 3780 Kcal

To bring 1Kg of water from 61'C to steam we need about 2420 Kcal, so in those 7 minutes we will have roughly 1.56 kg of steam.
Start weight 12.3kg + 1.56Kg = 13.86 Kg with pretty good accuracy.

Quite a nice experimental set up.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Giuseppe Levi wrote:They say, that is Rossi said to me — by the way, I must be super-cautious about everything I get told, meaning that I must shelve the information and say: "Perhaps...that's very nice...maybe some day we will investigate it". — that on one occasion an experiment of his blew up and that his neutron detectors (these detectors have a special gel which fills up with bubbles if neutrons are emitted, you can find them on the Internet as well) were found full of bubbles. Experimental fact: explosion + bubbles. Bubbles can also be the result of mechanical shock, so you cannot be sure about the neutrons.
All right, sorry about this. After parsing this run-on sentence a little better it seems clear to me now that the one who claimed neutrons was Rossi, not Levi. :roll:

tomclarke: In my case, at least, I am assuming nothing, just pointing out some claims that can actually be tested. I guess none of us here are associated with the University of Bologna, the Greek Ministry of Regional Development and Industry, or the Greek Ministry of Environment and Energy, though.

Kahuna: I have read that the University of Bologna will release the results of their tests in 6 to 10 months, so they won't be released before the rollout of the Hyperion products (assuming that goes according to schedule).
Last edited by Ivy Matt on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Crawdaddy wrote:Bruce,

I did some quick calculations on your results.

If your Mr. Steam is drawing 9KW and is putting around 7.8 kW into the water in the bucket while transferring 1.5kg of water over 7min then the steam from your mr steam (assuming it is at 100C) is around 30% water by mass.
I am not understanding how you got to the conclusion that the steam is 30% by mass. An input of 9Kw will transform 1,5Kg of water in steam. See my previous post.

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Giorgio
I am not understanding how you got to the conclusion that the steam is 30% by mass. An input of 9Kw will transform 1,5Kg of water in steam. See my previous post.
I did the calculation in my head... I wrote it out and got a different answer, but this is my reasoning.

If the water in the bucket goes from 21 to 81 and we take the average mass of the water in the bucket to be 13.05kg over the period for the sake of making the calculation easy then:

(60C*4.186J/g-C*13050g)/(7min*60sec/min)=7.8kW delivered power

1500g*39C*4.186J/g-C/(7min*60sec/min)= 580W energy to bring transferred mass to 100C

7220W/2270j/g = 3.18g/s of steam

3.18g/s * 7min* 60s/min = 1335g of steam

1335g of steam plus 165g of water ...

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Ivy Matt, All right, the neutron detector bubbles may have been from mechanical shock if the device exploded/ ruptured. But statements that only nuclear reactions could have caused the explosion is of course meaningless. An explosion would be either overpressure from steam- which could occur with almost any meger heat input if the steam outflow was blocked (think boiler, locomotive, tabletop steam engine explosions. It is not the amount of energy that determines the explosion, but the amount of energy over time combined with the amount of energy that is removed over time and the containment strength of the vessel. Certainly a little C4 explosives could do the job. Some hydrogen gas entering the chamber without the air first being purged might if it ignited. Charging nickel hydride batteries can explode, as can lead acid batteries or lithium ion batteries.

Dan Tibbets
Last edited by D Tibbets on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

@Crawdaddy

I see, you started from the final conditions, but by doing so you are introducing several errors in the form of missing mass and lost heat with the ambient.
Is always better to start from the input power (as it is a know element) and check mass balance.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

tomclarke, electronic neutron detectors are certainly susceptable to electronic noise, and other ionizing radiation if not properly shielded. But a Bubble detector is completely different. It is essentially immune to reasonable electronic noise. A gamma , or cosmic ray hit may produce a bubble, but this seems to be unusual. The bubble detector is like a cloud chamber detector. The neutron hits a light nucleus (hydrogen- proton is best, this proton gains energy, and then produces cascading ionizations that produces local heat. This causes the superheated gel to vaporize locally producing a bubble. It acts much like a plastic neutron detector like Cr39, or polycarbonate, except the bubbles are easily seen. There is no need for chemical etching and microscopic viewing to detect the hits. Electronics is not a part of the picture.

http://www.bubbletech.ca/radiation_dete ... ctors.html

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

giorgio
I see, you started from the final conditions, but by doing so you are introducing several errors in the form of missing mass and lost heat with the ambient.
Is always better to start from the input power (as it is a know element) and check mass balance.
I agree that the steam is could very well be dry at the point of generation. But I think that the output power calculation is a more accurate way of characterizing the output steam (which would allow us to compare it to the Rossi video).

From the video you can see droplets spitting from the end of hose which indicates the steam measured at the hose output would be significantly wet, even if it was dry at the Mr. Steam outlet (as the current and voltage calculation indicates).

A second video of the steam right at the point of generation would be awesome! (I know it's too much work for bruce tho).

Incidentally, these steam showers seem like they might cook you if you aren't careful1

sparkyy0007

Post by sparkyy0007 »

Bruce wrote: Youtube video: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRpnN6CAd8>

Steam output placed in 5 gallon bucket of cold water for ~7mins
Start water temp: 21.3C
Start water weight: 12.3kg

End water temp: 81.0C
End water weight: 13.8kg

I'll leave the calculation of the output power at the end of the hose as an exercise for the reader, but I'm pretty sure it's significantly less than 10kW of steam :D

Water temp at inlet of Mr Steam ~61C.

Not a real experiment by any means, but fun none the less.

Back to lurking.

Bruce
Your steam is very dry, too dry (there's a little experimental error there)

Total energy transferred to cold water:
Q= (energy in pail at end) - (energy in pail at start)

Q=Cp(end mass*end temp - start mass* start temp)
=4.186KJ/Kg*k(13.8*81 - 12.3 * 21.3)
=3582.42 KJ

If that energy is transferred by latent heat only, how much excess water will accumulate ?
delH vap= 2260KJ/kg

Kg of steam = 3582.42 / 2260
= 1.585kg

the del Mass is 13.8-12.3 = 1.5 kg(reported)

So all the latent energy of the added water would be necessary for
3582KJ
You have a few percent error in you measurement of weights, no problem.

Its very dry!
Last edited by sparkyy0007 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparkyy0007

Post by sparkyy0007 »

Bruce wrote: Youtube video: <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRpnN6CAd8>
Back to lurking.

Bruce
Looking at your video again at :20, the steam is completely invisible for the first 3 or so inches. What is this steam generator used for?