10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Chrismb
I am saying that even though the demonstrations have been fradulent, there is nothing shown that disproves that anomalous heat can arise from H-Ni interactions.
Right. So you are saying the ecat is a fraud then.

Kinda contradicts your statement that you never said the e-cat was a fraud.

Regardless of how you parse your comments when challenged they are overly emotional and betray a belief rather than knowledge about the legitimacy of the e-cat.

Calling 93143's comments religious is the height of absurdity and betrays a deep ignorance of the practice of science.

Post by 93143 »

Crawdaddy wrote:Right. So you are saying the ecat is a fraud then.

Kinda contradicts your statement that you never said the e-cat was a fraud.
No, he's saying that the presentation is fraudulent, but he is not saying that the device itself is not doing anything out of the ordinary.

It is true that demonstrated fraud would tend to imply that the device being fraudulently passed off as working does not, in fact, work as advertised, but the two conclusions are not identical, and treating them as though they are is conflation.

Also, there could be something unusual going on that the fraudster wishes to exaggerate. That too would thread chrismb's needle: a working device fraudulently demonstrated. IMO it's actually much more likely than the first possibility - who, after all, would attempt to fake something that was actually real?

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

No, he's saying that the presentation is fraudulent, but he is not saying that the device itself is not doing anything out of the ordinary.

It is true that demonstrated fraud would tend to imply that the device being fraudulently passed off as working is not, in fact, a working device, but the two conclusions are not identical, and treating them as though they are is conflation.
I agree. But if a person holds this position, they are arguing that it is reasonable that someone would take a device in which some nuclear interaction between Ni-H is occurring that violates all known theory (an astounding achievement) then decide to claim that it puts out 120kW with 80W of input.

While possible, it is a "just so" story.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

Crawdaddy wrote:But if a person holds this position, they are arguing that it is reasonable that someone would take a device in which some nuclear interaction between Ni-H is occurring that violates all known theory (an astounding achievement) then decide to claim that it puts out 120kW with 80W of input.
Please show 120kW output with 80W input.
Then let's talk.
I could not see even 5kW with 750W.
Also please show claimed neutrons or gamma-ray flux not outside but inside reactor.
Etc.
Formally who claims new phenomenon obliged to prove and not from contrary. Italian trio wants to keep their device as black box. Seeing how experiment was done, I see three amateurs. And naturally the thought on wrong interpretation of results or swindle is appearing.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

parallel wrote:I wonder what the attraction of Cyprus is.
Another thought occurs to me: perhaps Rossi is going to record the recipe for his secret catalyst in the Cypro-Minoan syllabary, which should be even more secure than Linear A.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

parallel wrote:
ScottL wrote:As objective thinkers, scientists, engineers, physicists, and hobbyists, our goals are not to defend Rossi's work but to punch holes in it. ............
I don't agree with your premise that the only objective is to punch holes in Rossi's work. How about explaining how it might work?

The objection I have to the pathological skeptics here is that they are so boringly repetitive. The demos with steam obviously leave much to be desired and I won't repeat the problems. The main concern I raised a long time ago is that without controlling either the water flow or the heat output from the reactor with a feedback loop it seems unlikely that one could maintain a constant steam/exit temperature..........
First off, maintaining a constant temperature does require a feedback. In this case that feedback is the boiling water. So long as it does not run dry or the pressure change, the temperature will be constant. This simply means the the input flow rate must match or slightly exceed the output. It would be extremely difficult to perfectly match the input to the output, so having a slight to modest excess water input is the easy approach. This is an engineering issue. The question is how much excess water input there is. A well engineered boiler will have baffles, etc that minimizes (not eliminates) hot water being entrained into the steam flow. By Rossi's claim this liquid water entrainment is very small or zero. Demonstrations by chrismb and others suggest this entrainment may be considerable. This is critical because the claim of excess energy is mostly, if not entirely dependent on this ratio. Some have claimed that other 'demos' have had input heating currents that would not heat the water flow to boiling if there was not excess energy. The presence of any steam would thus prove Rossi's claim. This argument is faulty though, because steam is produced by water well below boiling- (it is a Maxwellian distribution after all). Again quantitative measurements of heat and mass is required to resolve the issue. Also remember that out gassing will contribute to some vapor volume. Then there are the questions of input water and input energy rates over time. All of this requires accepted, time dependent recordings. Admittedly if the imput heating will only heat the water flow to eg: 70 degrees C, and the thermometer reads 100 Degrees C. Something is going on, either the water flow, heating input or water flow is invalid, or Rossi's claim is difficult to discount. Again , the reliability of the various conditions and measurements are the issue. You must accept Rossi's claims, adopt a wait and see attitude, of disbelieve based on the body of the evidence-contradictions in other areas/ tests, history, evasiveness, theory, etc. If Rossi was really interested in proving his claims, as opposed to ego, or financial motives, he would do these reasonable and very easily corrected and witnessed demos.

All of this does not necessarily disprove Rossi's claims, but with his refusal to do / reveal very easy tests that eliminates the steam issue, the skepticism is reinforced.

In general terms keeping an open mind is also pertinent. On this Polywell forum, there has been considerable arguments about measurement accuracy, and assumptions. Much of the arguments are thus a matter of interpretation and attitude. WB 7 results would go a far way towards resolving this. Alas, we are forced to use hearsay and innuendo to support our opinions.

The difference , from my viewpoint, is that the theory seems reasonable for the Polywell. The multiple varied test results also seem reasonable based on known physics (at least based on my hard earned but limited understanding). Nebel's and Bussards claims have always been based on the acceptance that further research was needed to eliminate uncertainties concerning measurements and assumptions.

Most are probably aware of my skepticism about the possibility of exothermic reactions by adding nucleons to nickel. This is completely different from ' more reasonable' Cold Fusion' claims that light nucleii fusion can occur in certain metals and produce excess energy. Neutron nucleosynthesis arguments are improbable. Where do the neutrons come from?. He uses hydrogen, not deuterium. What reaction produces neutrons that might be emitted or consumed in subsequent steps?

Radiation measurements are inconsistent and improbable. Initial gamma production at apparent large scale that penitrated into another room, yet none later when the claimed steady state heat output would result in huge gamma fluxes by any reasonable nuclear reaction involving gammas. That the startup produced claimed gammas (the measurement may be valid, but what was the source? The witness and meter were outside the room at the time (this smells fishy to me)). That these gammas were penitrating and detected, yet the steady state claimed gammas were not detectable ( except if the 1.5 background claim is valid, in which case the heating from these gammas would in the nano watt range). This implies not one, but two unexplained sources for the gammas. Gamma ray radiation that is claimed, but not measured. Lead shielding that would be totally inadequate to stop any but the most feeble gammas.

The secret catalyst is also a magic wand that is hard for me to accept. A catalyst does not change the energy yield from a reaction, what it does is change the speed of a reaction. If protons , or mysterious neutrons, combine with nickel (especially Ni62) an produce excess energy (impossible in my opinion) the catalyst might speed it up/ increase the probability, but if so, where is the baseline. Ignoring the energy balance question, a proton has a certain statistical probability of merging with a nickel nucleus that is temperature dependent. It is extremely rare even in most stars.. Much more rare than P-P fusion in stars.
Using comparisons with know fusion energy outputs from light nuclei, like the Polywell, the claimed fusion rate of ~ 1 billion fusions of D-D per second produced ~ 1 milliWatt. To get 10,000 Watts the fusion rate would need to be ~ 10^16 fusions. Actually probably ~ 10^17, or 10^18 fusions, as the energy yield per reaction would be less (again rejecting my argument ( and multiple physics sources) that the reaction is endothermic anyway.

Roughly, this implies that the secret catalyst speeds up the reaction by a conservative factor of ~ 10^60 X or much more. I use the fusion rate of P-P fusion in stars as the beginning baseline (~ 10^-45 M^2- ~ 10^-20 times smaller than D-D fusion crossections) Outside the huge volume, temperature and pressure conditions within a stars core the rate is so slow that it is essentially impossible to measure it. This would represent the ~ rarity of non catalyzed P-Ni fusion that has not been measured at near room temperature and pressure conditions (give or take a few million degrees and a few dozen atm's of pressure).
That is one busy catalyst that increases the reaction rate by a conservative factor of ~ 10^ 60.

Nuclear synthesis by neutron absorption is a different process. It is much easier, but is dependent upon thermal neutrons (or near thermal). Where do they come from, and in such huge numbers (~10^16-18 per second)? In stars they come mostly from Supernova, there the temperatures are in the billions, the pressure is considerable, and there is a whole mess of nuclear reactions occurring that produce free neutrons. For a few seconds there is density and neutrons enough to produce a lot of elements heavier than iron or nickel. Note that many, if not almost all of these heavy element nuclear synthesis processes are endothermic and actually cool the the expanding supernova fireball. In a sense you are charging the batteries of the uranium, thorium, etc that subsequently release energy through radiative decay or fission.
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

93143 wrote:Turns out I may have misremembered the issue slightly... but even if the public demonstrations don't qualify as "experiments", which I contest (they may be badly-designed or even fraudulent experiments, but the word "experiment" does apply), the phrase "no experiments have occurred" also ignores the possibility that objective, scientific experiments have occurred, but have not been made public. The expressed certainty is therefore unwarranted in any case.
Two points:

1) "Scientific Experiments" have a strict set of conditions that must be met to qualify as such, and for this same reason they have scientific value. Experiments are something else.
I do not think that in this forum (given the quality of discussions and the arguments discussed) we should clarify each time that when we write the word "experiment" it has to be considered as "scientific experiment".

2) Do we have really to believe that an appropriate "Scientific Experiment" was made and not made public?
Come on......

93143 wrote:Regarding your (and Giorgio's) philosophy of science and religion, it is overly simplistic, but I don't want to waste another work day trying to explain why, especially in the News section...
Maybe is over simplistic, but it draws a net line between what can be considered science and what not.
A line that unfortunately in the last years is becoming more and more confused in the mist of pseudoscience and pseudo scientists.

Post by 93143 »

Giorgio wrote:2) Do we have really to believe that an appropriate "Scientific Experiment" was made and not made public?
Come on......
Of course not. I never said that. What I said was that we don't know for sure that one wasn't.

You're treating me as a Rossi supporter rather than a philosophical nitpicker. Calm down.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

93143 wrote:who, after all, would attempt to fake something that was actually real?
As pure example, someone that is not able to reproduce in a constant way the claimed results (or that has some results but is unable to increase them to the claimed levels).

parallel

Post by parallel »

D Tibbets
Why did you truncate what I wrote? You cut off:
This might mean unboiled water overflows into the drain. This only means the output is rather less than claimed. This problem did not exist for the second 18 hour experiment though.

Without a feedback loop the obvious thing to do is run the water faster than it can all be boiled. Think about it. There isn't a large volume of water in the device and presumably you would not want to take the chance of the reactor not being surrounded by liquid coolant. It is not clear whether the reactor could be steam cooled (or much higher pressure) - a requirement for producing electricity.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

93143 wrote:
Giorgio wrote:2) Do we have really to believe that an appropriate "Scientific Experiment" was made and not made public?
Come on......
Of course not. I never said that. What I said was that we don't know for sure that one wasn't.

You're treating me as a Rossi supporter rather than a philosophical nitpicker. Calm down.
I didn't say that you said it, nor I am treating you as a Rossi supporter (or denier).
I just asked if we should really consider that such a possibility might exists. From any point of view (logical, business, scientific, and so on) I see no possibility that such experiments was made and not made public.

You should cool down a little bit and not take any comment or consideration one makes as a potential aggression.

Post by 93143 »

Giorgio wrote:I see no possibility that such experiments was made and not made public.
No possibility? Literally zero?
You should cool down a little bit and not take any comment or consideration one makes as a potential aggression.
Don't worry. I don't feel threatened at all; I'm actually somewhat amused by this exchange.

This partly makes up for the fact that someone rebooted and used my locked lab computer earlier today without asking me, causing me to lose what's shaping up to be two and a half hours of simulation time...

Crawdaddy

Post by Crawdaddy »

Giorgio
1) "Scientific Experiments" have a strict set of conditions that must be met to qualify as such, and for this same reason they have scientific value. Experiments are something else.
I do not think that in this forum (given the quality of discussions and the arguments discussed) we should clarify each time that when we write the word "experiment" it has to be considered as "scientific experiment".
It is also true that a scientist must evaluate and discuss the results of an experiment in a fashion that conforms to scientific principles.

Any experiment, even a poor experiment or demonstration, can be evaluated by objective science based reasoning.

In my estimation, there is no reasonable way, based on the evidence presented so far, that the device can be definitively declared a fraud by a well-trained, honest, objective, observer.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

93143 wrote:
Giorgio wrote:I see no possibility that such experiments was made and not made public.
Don't worry. I don't feel threatened at all; I'm actually somewhat amused by this exchange.

This partly makes up for the fact that someone rebooted and used my locked lab computer earlier today without asking me, causing me to lose what's shaping up to be two and a half hours of simulation time...
The cat is still alive until observation dictates otherwise...

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

93143 wrote:
What percentage are you willing to give to such a possibility of being real?
One tenth of percent? One percent? Five percent? At what percentage level will it really make a difference?
93143 wrote:
Good, that makes two of us.