10KW LENR demonstrator (new thread)

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

polyill

Post by polyill »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
olivier wrote:It suggests that they may (it is a or not an and) have worked on other inventions in the same field.
No, there is present time and not past.
There is written "has" and not "had"
This is official press release of serious company?
Joseph,

"has enhanced", is a past tense. It means they made something in the recent past and now they mean the result of it, which they have at present.

Here's a simple explanation of this mystery of English grammar. Enjoy.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

parallel wrote:olivier,
parallel, you cannot use such an argument. It deserves the answer "Even a school kid could see that many points remain obscure in the way this experiment was run."
tomclarke stated "Truly amazing that Rossi could not manufacture any heat generation even with so little checking!" He has misread the data from Mats Lewan.
You might claim the measurements are bad, but that is not what he did. He used the same data that I did. He saw the graph as a check and still missed it. He concluded that I was insane...

As I wrote earlier, if you are convinced that LENR is impossible, anything that shows it must be wrong. All the suggestions of fraud, including steam quality, have now been eliminated. All you can claim is that the measurements are bad.
No parallel, I could not be bothered to do the experimental deconstruction and data analysis, especially because there is not enough detail to do this well.

I looked first as Mats's conclusions - after all he is pro-Rossi, so if these are not favourable (they are not) it does not look good.

having looked more closely I still cannot be sure which of the myriad of possible errors exist in this experiment, but Mats' assumption that we must use the lowest deltaT to get energy out is correct since only total flow, and not instantaneous flow, is measured. It would be easier for the higher deltaT parts to have much lower flow rate.

In fact, by modulating flow rate, i can produce an arbitrarily high output for given "real output" even with Mats conservative assumption.

Consider an oscillating flow rate either zero at high T or fast at low T. The measured temperature will average out the temperature of water with time, but NOT the temperature of water with water volume.

So you see that unless we have flow rate with time, this experimental protocol, like all Rossi's others, is totally broken.

Now why would that be I wonder...

parallel

Post by parallel »

My guess is that Rossi and Defkalion will get back together. Maybe the 1 MW trial will go back to Greece too. The only thing certain is that Rossi will have lots of troubles and the lawyers will have a field day.
Very rare for an inventor to make money off his invention without it going to court.

sparkyy0007

Post by sparkyy0007 »

Thanks for the Def lnfo P
I think this is positive.
It appears Def is trying to maintain its original agreement with Rossi based on the engineering effort and in kind value of this.
If they go it alone, they are up for an infringement battle, but if they maintain there never was a break and it appears they are ....

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

OK folks

I'm going to reveal my Q=50 LENR device. It will produce results just like Rossi has, look rather like Rossi's device, but because I understand how it works the output will be "controllable".

The basic idea is that we need to get high deltaT and high average flow rate, so that power out appears 50X power in.

Apparent Power-out = average deltaT * average flow-rate

or even more conservative (Mats' assumption in the Rossi test)

Apparent power out = minimum deltaT * average flow-rate

I'm going to ignore specific heat capacity of water etc, it may be asumed a constan 1.

So, how can we get anomalously high minimum deltaT?

It's pretty easy. We use the input power to heat up some insulated metal (the hot nugget) inside the TE-Cat (I'm going to start selling this device, since I can do so much better than Rossi).

The water has two paths: either through a heat exhanger with the hot nugget, or direct, no heat. When it goes through the hot nuggest it will of course flow much more slowly (the heat exchanger).

For this thought experiment imagine a valve switching between the two paths every second, but you can imagine purely passive systems, based on water-locks, etc, that would do the same thing.

So we get:
1s * 0.01 l/s flow * deltaT (water) = 80C

1s * 1 l/s flow * deltaT = 0C

Average 0.5 l/s flow.

The power extracted from the hot nugget is of course reduced by factor 100 from what you would expect, given the overall flow rate and a temperature rise of 80C.

What temperature rise is recorded? the walls of the output tube and the thermocouple + its mounting mass will average temperature out, and we can assume power lost via these wall is small compared with the power flow at 80C and 0.01 l/s. If not just use walls that insulate better.

However we can also assume the time constant of the thermocouple and its immediate thermal mass to be >> 1s. (If not, just design walls which are insulating on inside and have high thermal mass on outside. My TE-cat will be optimised in this manner and so show almost constant output temperature.

The output temperature will be the time-averaged water temperature, which is deltaT = +40C. The minimum output temperature will not be much different from the average.

The output power will however be 1/100 of what you would get with 40C deltaT and a constant flow equal to the average flow.

I can easily engineer this for apparent Q=50.

Which makes me think Rossi is just a very bad engineer, not a charlatan?

Best wishes, Tom
Last edited by tomclarke on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobL

Post by RobL »

JoeP wrote: If that aluminum trick is used, then where do you propose all the H2 was vented?

Also, the oxide layer would interfere with all the metal getting into the reaction.
If aluminium powder is hot enough/fine enough it burns/reacts. Could vent hydrogen with steam - though a bit dangerous, or perhaps react with peroxide to produce more water, or entrained oxygen in water supply...

Point is there are ways to cheat that would not neccesarily have been picked up in demos done - fiber optic lasers in opaque inlet water pipe or extra power wires in same (a DC return loop would not show up), hidden hot water/steam heat pipes, microwave sources, xray sources, other chemical reactants in supplied water, heat pumps, dodgy instruments, the list goes on and on and on.

Hence need for longer demos with someone else's (competent) calorimetry setup, and black box Ecat

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

tomclarke wrote:Consider an oscillating flow rate either zero at high T or fast at low T. The measured temperature will average out the temperature of water with time, but NOT the temperature of water with water volume.

So you see that unless we have flow rate with time, this experimental protocol, like all Rossi's others, is totally broken.

Simply because you are a skeptic.

If you were a true believer not only you could average the water temperature with its volume, but you could also transform the output water in a chilled wine fountain.
Now, just imagine what kind of wild experiment could that become if we also invite some guests from the Playboy mansion!

It could really shake the foundations of scientific knowledge or the spring of your bed, depending on how lucky you get to be.......

parallel

Post by parallel »

No parallel, I could not be bothered to do the experimental deconstruction and data analysis, especially because there is not enough detail to do this well.

I looked first as Mats's conclusions - after all he is pro-Rossi, so if these are not favourable (they are not) it does not look good.

having looked more closely I still cannot be sure which of the myriad of possible errors exist in this experiment, but Mats' assumption that we must use the lowest deltaT to get energy out is correct since only total flow, and not instantaneous flow, is measured. It would be easier for the higher deltaT parts to have much lower flow rate.

In fact, by modulating flow rate, i can produce an arbitrarily high output for given "real output" even with Mats conservative assumption.

Consider an oscillating flow rate either zero at high T or fast at low T. The measured temperature will average out the temperature of water with time, but NOT the temperature of water with water volume.

tom, you wrote:
Is it not extraordinary that in this latest test the total energy out is still LESS than the total energy in?
It sounds like you can't be bothered to get your facts right either.

The rest is waffle. You make a claim that is grossly wrong and then do not apologize when this is pointed out to you.
You claim there are all sorts of experimental errors but can't be bothered to quantify them. How then do you know they are errors?

The evidence for LENR is piling up. What will you do when there is no escaping it? Put it down to bad measurements?

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Giorgio wrote:
tomclarke wrote:Consider an oscillating flow rate either zero at high T or fast at low T. The measured temperature will average out the temperature of water with time, but NOT the temperature of water with water volume.

Simply because you are a skeptic.

If you were a true believer not only you could average the water temperature with its volume, but you could also transform the output water in a chilled wine fountain.
Now, just imagine what kind of wild experiment could that become if we also invite some guests from the Playboy mansion!

It could really shake the foundations of scientific knowledge or the spring of your bed, depending on how lucky you get to be.......
What, no skeptical girls in italy, who will swoon at a good deconstruction of a bad experiment?

Shame...

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

parallel wrote:

tom, you wrote:
Is it not extraordinary that in this latest test the total energy out is still LESS than the total energy in?
It sounds like you can't be bothered to get your facts right either.

The rest is waffle. You make a claim that is grossly wrong and then do not apologize when this is pointed out to you.
You claim there are all sorts of experimental errors but can't be bothered to quantify them. How then do you know they are errors?

The evidence for LENR is piling up. What will you do when there is no escaping it? Put it down to bad measurements?
If you view my beautiful (OK, I'm immodest) thought experiment above as waffle it shows you have the soul of an accountant, coupled with zero grasp of physics.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

polyill wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
olivier wrote:It suggests that they may (it is a or not an and) have worked on other inventions in the same field.
No, there is present time and not past.
There is written "has" and not "had"
This is official press release of serious company?
Joseph,

"has enhanced", is a past tense. It means they made something in the recent past and now they mean the result of it, which they have at present.

Here's a simple explanation of this mystery of English grammar. Enjoy.
Ok, thanks.
So, "Defkalion has supported Rossi’s fraud or similar frauds" or "Defkalion has supported Rossi’s fraud and similar frauds"?

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

tomclarke wrote:What, no skeptical girls in italy, who will swoon at a good deconstruction of a bad experiment?

Shame...
:wink:

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

RobL wrote:
JoeP wrote: If that aluminum trick is used, then where do you propose all the H2 was vented?

Also, the oxide layer would interfere with all the metal getting into the reaction.
If aluminium powder is hot enough/fine enough it burns/reacts. Could vent hydrogen with steam - though a bit dangerous, or perhaps react with peroxide to produce more water, or entrained oxygen in water supply...

Point is there are ways to cheat that would not neccesarily have been picked up in demos done - fiber optic lasers in opaque inlet water pipe or extra power wires in same (a DC return loop would not show up), hidden hot water/steam heat pipes, microwave sources, xray sources, other chemical reactants in supplied water, heat pumps, dodgy instruments, the list goes on and on and on.

Hence need for longer demos with someone else's (competent) calorimetry setup, and black box Ecat
Yes, aluminum powder is used in many explosive composition for enhancing heat ability.
Burning of Nickel Hydride I think would give not less energy when burning in the air.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

You might ask why does Rossi keep on doing these flakey experiments. After all feeding output into a tank and measuring tank temperature at end would do fine. And be easy.

It would eliminate nearly all sources of error.

But of course, if Rossi has tried this, he will find it does not work. So he needs an experimental protocol that does work.

There are quite a number of those.

parallel

Post by parallel »

tomclarke wrote:OK folks

I'm going to reveal my Q=10 LENR device. It will produce results just like Rossi has, look rather like rossi's device, but because i understand how it works the output will be "controllable".

The basic idea is that we need to get high deltaT and high average flow rate, so that power out appears 10X power in.

Apparent Power-out = average deltaT * average flow-rate

or even more conservative;

Apparent power out = minimum deltaT * average flow-rate

I'm going to ignore speciifc heat capacity of water etc, it may be asumed a constant.

So, how can we get anomalously high minimum deltaT?

Its pretty easy. We use the input power to heat up some insulated metal (the hot nugget) inside the TE-Cat (I'm going to start selling this device, since I can do so much better than Rossi).

The water has two paths: either through a heat exhanger with the hot nugget, or direct, no heat. When it goes through the hot nuggest it will of course flow much more slowly (the heat exchanger).

For this thought experiment imagine a valve switching between the two paths every second, but you can imagine purely passive systems, based on water-locks, etc, that would do the same thing.

So we get:
1s * 0.01 l/s flow * deltaT (water) = 80C

1s * 1l/s flow * deltaT = 0C

The power extracted from the hot nugget is of course reduced by factor 100 from what you would expect, given the overall flow rate and a temperature rise of 80C.

What temperature rise is recorded? the walls of the output tube average temperature out over 1s, and we can assume power lost via these wall is small compared with the power flow at 80C and 0.01 l/s. If not just use walls that insulate better.

However we can also assume the time constant of the thermocouple and its immediate thermal mass to be >> 1s. (If not, just design walls which are insulating on inside and have high thermal mass on outside. My TE-cat will be optimised in this manner and so show almost constant output temperature.

The output temperature will be the time-averaged water temperature, which is deltaT = +40C. the minimum output temperature will not be much different from the average.

The output power will however be 1/100 of what you would get with 40C deltaT and a constant flow equal to the average flow.

I can easily engineer this for apparent Q=50.

Which makes me think Rossi is just a very bad engineer, not a charlatan?

Best wishes, Tom
The main problem with your scenario is that the box was opened and it is quite clear where the hot water/steam came from and how it exited. No clever valves and double pathways. You left out the computer to control the imaginary device so that it showed variable and increasing heat with time, not to mention the difficulty of storing that much heat. Small detail I suppose. Also how you play that trick with a positive displacement pump. Details details...

There were 30 people there, mainly of scientific bent, looking for fraud or similar problems.

I suppose that when you are so certain that LENR does not exist you just have to keep imagining ways it couldn't or you would have a nervous breakdown.