Room-temperature superconductivity?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

johanfprins wrote:[ No! I am just stating facts that anybody who knows High School algebra can check for him/herself:
Well that's the trouble, Johan. You're using High School Algebra when in fact you need to be using very advanced relativistic theory.

If I were half as arrogant as you, I'd be advocating for physics I don't understand, and if I were half as much an asshole as you, I'd be depricating peeps around to bolster my shitty waining ego.

STOP!!! Stop acting like a complete asshole.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

GIThruster wrote:
johanfprins wrote:[ No! I am just stating facts that anybody who knows High School algebra can check for him/herself:
Well that's the trouble, Johan. You're using High School Algebra when in fact you need to be using very advanced relativistic theory.

If I were half as arrogant as you, I'd be advocating for physics I don't understand, and if I were half as much an asshole as you, I'd be depricating peeps around to bolster my shitty waining ego.

STOP!!! Stop acting like a complete asshole.
You are entitled to your opinion. You are also entitled to insult me. But I would prefer it more if you would rather point out where I have made a mistake in my algebra and show me the advanced mathematics that I must use.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I would prefer it more if you would rather point out where I have made a mistake in my algebra and show me the advanced mathematics that I must use.
But Johan, you're presuming I'm a physicist and field theorist. I'm not. I'm a humble philosopher.

Still, I'm capable to say where you've gone wrong. If you want someone to tell you how to go right, find a physicist.

All I'm doing is reporting to you and those around, the status of physics to date.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Don't say you're capable of it, do it. Where did he go wrong in the above math?

Answering that takes the conversation forward, continuing the purse swinging keeps it going in circles.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Betruger wrote:Don't say you're capable of it, do it. Where did he go wrong in the above math?

Answering that takes the conversation forward, continuing the purse swinging keeps it going in circles.
You're asking for a real physicist to answer your questions, when a 12 year-old can give you the answers.

Lets all STOP pretending we're physicists, and field theorists on the cutting edge, when all it takes is a high school student who knows what's what.

sparkyy0007

Post by sparkyy0007 »

Yes, please enlighten us GIThruster.
I have a feeling Johan has forgotten more advanced math than you proclaim to know.
GI wrote:You're asking for a real physicist to answer your questions, when a 12 year-old can give you the answers.
Are you claiming to be a real physicist ?
GI wrote:you're presuming I'm a physicist and field theorist. I'm not. I'm a humble philosopher
So why do you call people asking questions morons?
GI wrote:Lets all STOP pretending we're physicists, and field theorists on the cutting edge, when all it takes is a high school student who knows what's what.
This is a strawman argument.
If a 12 year old can do it, surly you can help us out.
Where is the error in Johan's math.
Last edited by sparkyy0007 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Thruster- Stop saying you can do it, and just do it. Just about nobody here cares who's got what diploma -- only who can come up with the best math or conjecture or evidence or other argument.

You said the math above is wrong. Now show why you wrote these words.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

johanfprins wrote:Two inertial reference frames Kp and K with clocks at their origins. The clocks are synchronized and the two reference frames move away from one another at a relative speed v.

The Lorentz transformation from Kp to K is given by:

x=gamma*(xp+v*tp) and t=gamma*(tp+(v/c^2)*xp)

The Lorentz transformation from K to Kp is given by:

xp=gamma*(x-v*t) and tp=gamma*(t-(v/c^2)*x)

Clock in Kp remains at position xp=0. When time on this clock is tp, the transformed position x(0) and time t of this clock within K are thus given by:

x(0)=gamma*(v*tp) and t=gamma*(tp): from which it follows that:

x(0)=v*t

Clock in K remains at position x=0. When time on this clock is t, the transformed position xp(0) and time tp of this clock within Kp are thus given by:

xp(0)=gamma*(-v*t) and tp=gamma*(t) from which it follows that:

xp(0)=-v*tp

Now if one of the two clocks are taken on a journey with varying speed v so that it eventually returns to meet up and stop within the other clock's reference frame, the distance between the clocks can only have a single value at any instant in time on either clock during this whole journey. This means that for the time tp on the clock in Kp which gives xp(0) =-v*tp, there must be a time t on the clock within K that gives a distance x(0)=v*t so that x(0)=-xp(0). This demands that after the clocks meet up again, they MUST have that t=tp. If not, it means that the Lorentz transformation is violated and the Special Theory of Relativity is wrong.

Thus IF the flying clock experiments are correct, as claimed on this thread, then it means that Einstein’s Special theory of Relativity must be wrong. Either Hafele and Keating and those that followed them made a stupendous physics breakthrough, or they obtained what they wanted to obtain: I suspect that the latter is the case; but am open to an alternative theory to Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
Where is the acceleration taken into account?
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Evolu ... e_and_Time
http://physics.about.com/od/timetravel/ ... aradox.htm
Hyperbolic rotation has limitations of hyperbolic rotation.

More from Laue related to twin paradox
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Princ ... Laue_1913)
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Princ ... hilosophy)
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Two_Objec ... Refutation
Last edited by Teemu on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

johanfprins wrote:Two inertial reference frames Kp and K with clocks at their origins. The clocks are synchronized and the two reference frames move away from one another at a relative speed v.

Clock in Kp remains at position xp=0. When time on this clock is tp, the transformed position x(0) and time t of this clock within K are thus given by:

x(0)=v*t

Clock in K remains at position x=0. When time on this clock is t, the transformed position xp(0) and time tp of this clock within Kp are thus given by:

xp(0)=-v*tp

Now if one of the two clocks are taken on a journey with varying speed v
Stop there!

The previous LT applies only when the frrames stay inertial.

If one frame accelerates then, as a result of the FOR change caused by the acceleration, We have to recompute the relationship between K & Kp.

Physically, remember, we cannot directly measure any relationship between K & Kp until such time as the two frame obsrvers colocate again. So the LT is a mathematical device to make things work out. Now, it is correct as derived if v stays constant.

As soon as v varies we have the problem of reestablishing simultaneity between the new (different v) FOR and the initial FOR.

Nothing in SR, or LT, says what is the answer to this.

Johan here asumes that no change is needed to account for the change in v. SR says nothing about this, in gfact makes no prediction as soon as v is changed.

In physical reality, the change in FOR alters the relationship between K and Kp such that all is as expected when the clocks come back together.

Now, I have not proved this, true. After all, it goes beyond the tenets of SR which is what Johan is arguing.

But he, equally, and by definition, cannot disprove it.
so that it eventually returns to meet up and stop within the other clock's reference frame, the distance between the clocks can only have a single value at any instant in time on either clock during this whole journey.
No, the distance between the clocks relative to (any) given frame can only have a single value at any instant in time on either clock.
This means that for the time tp on the clock in Kp which gives xp(0) =-v*tp, there must be a time t on the clock within K that gives a distance x(0)=v*t so that x(0)=-xp(0).
OK, in Kp there will be such a time tp as measured by its clock. I assume the v here is the initial v between the FORs, not the different v at other points in time. The same spatial separation measured by the observer in K will not have the same distance, because of LF contraction by gamma(v'). Where v' is the instantaneous velocity difference, not equal to v (because of the acceleration).

This demands that after the clocks meet up again, they MUST have that t=tp. If not, it means that the Lorentz transformation is violated and the Special Theory of Relativity is wrong.
No - because above argument incorrect.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Betruger, you're sounding like an idiot.

Stop pretending you, or anyone else, can do extremely advanced physics just because you can do algebra.

You sound like a peevish and petulant child.

Johan is proposing to CORRECT EINSTEIN. You want to stand together with the delusional and demented, and pretend you have a clue?

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

johanfprins wrote:But I would prefer it more if you would rather point out where I have made a mistake in my algebra and show me the advanced mathematics that I must use.
Johan, I have shown you the mistake, above.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

GIThruster wrote:Betruger, you're sounding like an idiot.

Stop pretending you, or anyone else, can do extremely advanced physics just because you can do algebra.

You sound like a peevish and petulant child.

Johan is proposing to CORRECT EINSTEIN. You want to stand together with the delusional and demented, and pretend you have a clue?
This works only one way round. If I have what seems to me a very good argument that says Einstein + 1000s of physicists afterwards have all got it wrong, I can be pretty sure that I am making a mistake. But if i am pig-headed I may not admit it.

And I will still argue it, even if reasonable, wanting some resolution of the apparent inconsistency. I am sort of hoping this is Johan's position.

OTOH, it may be the holes in an argument against the orthodox opinion are easy to find, as here. And SR is not such very advanced physics. I learnt it (formally) a long time ago, with GR, forgot most, but can resurrect it as needed. . So you do not need to be a brilliant physicist to argue these things.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Teemu wrote:

x(0)=v*t

xp(0)=-v*tp

Now if one of the two clocks are taken on a journey with varying speed v so that it eventually returns to meet up and stop within the other clock's reference frame, the distance between the clocks can only have a single value at any instant in time on either clock during this whole journey. This means that for the time tp on the clock in Kp which gives xp(0) =-v*tp, there must be a time t on the clock within K that gives a distance x(0)=v*t so that x(0)=-xp(0). This demands that after the clocks meet up again, they MUST have that t=tp. If not, it means that the Lorentz transformation is violated and the Special Theory of Relativity is wrong.

Thus IF the flying clock experiments are correct, as claimed on this thread, then it means that Einstein’s Special theory of Relativity must be wrong. Either Hafele and Keating and those that followed them made a stupendous physics breakthrough, or they obtained what they wanted to obtain: I suspect that the latter is the case; but am open to an alternative theory to Einstein's Theory of Relativity.
Where is the acceleration taken into account?
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Evolu ... e_and_Time
http://physics.about.com/od/timetravel/ ... aradox.htm
Hyperbolic rotation has limitations of hyperbolic rotation.
:)

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

tomclarke wrote: This works only one way round. If I have what seems to me a very good argument that says Einstein + 1000s of physicists afterwards have all got it wrong, I can be pretty sure that I am making a mistake. But if i am pig-headed I may not admit it.
No offense Tom, but you've been arguing a host of issues that are off issue, like the acceleration/dilation/scaling issue.

When it comes down to real beans, acceleration and scaling is not an issue for the Twins Paradox. People like Sachs may think so, but truly, that's not right for the reasons I've copied here before and can copy again.

Almost ALL of the banter here these last 5 pages, is uninformed nonsense. Nothing new!!! Plenty of people have grasped at a seeming answer for the Twins Paradox, and none of them have had an historically and logically sufficient explanation.

It's TRUE, that the Twins Paradox has never been answered to the intellectual satisfaction of the masses of relativists. No different than Zeno's Paradox Against Motion amongst philosophers.

If people want to supply an historic answer to these difficulties, they need to understand in great detail ALL about the issue. Spend a few hundred or thousand hours to understand it and write a paper for peer review.

Johan doesn't understand the Twins Paradox issue past what any high school kid does. He just bloviates that he does.

So just saying, there's no reason to doubt the clocks' evidence. If Einstein weren't correct, none of our GPS stuff would work at all. Einstein was correct. Pretending he wasn't, is the stuff of delusional psychotics.

Johan, go sell shoes.

Teemu

Post by Teemu »

If I understood correctly, it's not that the acceleration would be causing some huge physical effects, but rather that when you apply mathematical tools that have limitations in a wrong way to situation were they are not supposed to be applied, the results can be total crap.

If you apply Pythagorean theorem to other than right triangle, the results will be more or less crap. So that the acceleration is not "the solution" but it explains why that kind of mathematical attempt to turn the twin paradox in a "real" paradox is wrong, kinda like pointing that the triangle is not a right triangle.