R. Nebel at 53rd APS Plasma Physics meeting

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

icarus wrote:It would be like Rossi up stakes from Leonardo and moved back to TDP research.

"Nup, nothing wrong, E-cat's all good, I just made a "life choice" to move on."
Apples and oranges dude.
Nebel never staked his life or career and all his personal financial resources on and in EMC2. It was a job. Nothing more.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

The Navy is in the position to judge whether polywell is worth pursuing and it is still being pursued. I can't understand how tea leaf reading at this point carries weight. On the other hand, if the project goes completely off screen, that would really be the time to scan tea cup dregs for critical insight.

Still, it passes the time and keeps those who live to argue sated.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

MSimon wrote:
rcain wrote:alright. i give up. :roll:

everything's perfect.
We live in the best of all possible worlds. Scary huh?
quantum physics would tell us that we leave in a world that is an instance of a probability distribution, with that instance being chosen according to the probability. Now the law of large numbers tells us that this approaches the statistical expectation as the number of selections grows large - well that's assuming we're talking a normal distribution. there are many distributions that don't "peak" well like that - e.g. power law distributions, etc.

ok point is your teleology is dead.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

happyjack27 wrote:
MSimon wrote:
rcain wrote:alright. i give up. :roll:

everything's perfect.
We live in the best of all possible worlds. Scary huh?
quantum physics would tell us that we leave in a world that is an instance of a probability distribution, with that instance being chosen according to the probability. Now the law of large numbers tells us that this approaches the statistical expectation as the number of selections grows large - well that's assuming we're talking a normal distribution. there are many distributions that don't "peak" well like that - e.g. power law distributions, etc.

ok point is your teleology is dead.
Well that is a theory. Evidence is lacking.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Conference next week.

Soon we'll know if the "electrostatic confinement thermonuclear fusion" that this applies to includes Polywell.
Abstract: Two-Stream Instabilities, Debye Screening, and Resonant Electron Drive in a Modified Malmberg Trap
Allie Laird (Tibbar Technologies)
Richard Nebel (Tibbar Technologies)

I doubt that the two-stream part does, per prior R Nebel comments, but maybe the other parts.

Not that I could tell a two-stream instability from a Debye screen. "Resonant Electron Drive" sounds POPSish.

Anybody got APS conference proceedings access?

eige1123

Post by eige1123 »

It would be interesting to find out who's funding the Tibbar tech. Maybe it's emc2? Anyone have any ideas on how to find out? If it's a government contract it should be easy.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I would say no chance it is EMC2, IMO.

Helius

Post by Helius »

eige1123 wrote:It would be interesting to find out who's funding the Tibbar tech. Maybe it's emc2? Anyone have any ideas on how to find out? If it's a government contract it should be easy.
What's their overhead? Do they even *need* funding?

Solo

Post by Solo »

Word has it that Nebel has retired from LANL & EMC2, & Tibbar is a low-budget project (related to POPS) he's running in his spare time. Word also is that EMC2 is still going.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Whose word?

Solo

Post by Solo »

Take a guess.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Do you have a source, or are you just repeating what you have read here? I am not intending to confrontational, just asking.

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

ladajo wrote:Do you have a source, or are you just repeating what you have read here? I am not intending to confrontational, just asking.
viewtopic.php?p=70704&highlight=&sid=69 ... c3f9#70704

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

More worthless speculation.

R.Nebel left EMC2, perhaps in part over frustrations over the patent issues, and an assessment that he will receive little financial reward other than salary. He decided to pursue his experience with POPS issues as a potential patentable or markatable technology. He is still a consultant for EMC2 and may be prohibited from discussing anything to do with the Polywell. But, POPS may also be applicable to FRC systems, so he can discuss his research in this area without infringing on his nondisclosure agreements.

This speculation implies that POPS may have a promising future in applications such a FRC as well as Polywell. It is just that he cannot talk about the Polywell. Thus negative implications may be unfounded. Of course, positive implications may also be unfounded.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

rcain

Post by rcain »

D Tibbets wrote:More worthless speculation.

R.Nebel left EMC2, perhaps in part over frustrations over the patent issues, and an assessment that he will receive little financial reward other than salary. He decided to pursue his experience with POPS issues as a potential patentable or markatable technology. He is still a consultant for EMC2 and may be prohibited from discussing anything to do with the Polywell. But, POPS may also be applicable to FRC systems, so he can discuss his research in this area without infringing on his nondisclosure agreements.

This speculation implies that POPS may have a promising future in applications such a FRC as well as Polywell. It is just that he cannot talk about the Polywell. Thus negative implications may be unfounded. Of course, positive implications may also be unfounded.

Dan Tibbets
i'd generally agree with that.

except that,
This speculation implies that POPS may have a promising future in applications such a FRC as well as Polywell.
, can at best be described as 'speculation on speculation' and at worst a circular argument based on speculation.

[edit]... also, you neglected to mention that the US Navy simply did not need him anymore, which imho, is the best 'speculation' so far[/edit]