Recovery.Gov Project Tracker

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

bennmann

Post by bennmann »

Google plus has a method of video conferencing that is free and could work.

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

3rd quarter 2011 recover.gov project page says EMC2 has done 500 firings of the polywell on the current model....

choff

Post by choff »

mvanwink5 wrote:Uh, COB, where do we put this fuel?

It goes next to the laundry room....

Best regards
Perfect, the fuel can double as laundry soap, just don't throw your socks through the wrong door.
CHoff

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Lajado: yeah, that one!

I've had good luck personally drawing Vincent diFate as an artist:

http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/ASF/ASF_0724.jpg
http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/ASF/ASF_0785.jpg

I had a piece of interior art once by Laura Freas, but recently found out she worked from a sketch by her husband, Kelly Freas. Many people consider Kelly the master of SF art.

I got one other cover by another artist ... http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/ASF/ASF_0768.jpg

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Tom,
First one or second one I posted?

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

LJ: The first one.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

:D

As I understand the original is hanging/kept at the Navy Yard.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Any danger of super committee failure resulting in budget cuts to Polywell? I keep remembering the Iraq war money diversion buzzkill. Thoughts?
Best regards
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think there is risk. But I can not quantify that here in a meaningful manner.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:I think there is risk. But I can not quantify that here in a meaningful manner.
But at this point in time, would that NECESSARILY be a bad thing, loosing Navy funding I mean.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Assuming good news on WB-8, I can't see the Navy cutting all funds, but I can see it slow the future investment rate. Possibly forcing EMC2 into an intermediate size machine. Ladajo likely would have a much better idea on what might be the effect.

Maybe EMC2 could go for a utility consortium investment once PB11 is tested.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Well, I now think that they are done with recovery reporting. As I have thought all along, the account reporting has been a little screwy in regards to the funding. But base on the idea that once recovery.gov funds are done, they will no longer report, I think we will not see another. The best evidence I can find is this:

https://www.fpds.gov/dbsight/search.do? ... 9528956%22

http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... qtr=2011Q3

If you look at the obligated amount for the contract, and then compare to the last update to recovery.gov, you will find that they match. That, in my mind would mean that they have used up the recovery money, and no longer need to report.

But it also means that we should see some other contracting activity at some point, given that the amounts involved are not trival in terms of contract requirements. I can not imagine that NAWC and ONR are going to be able to redirect funds for too long from a slush pile to sustain EMC2 under the table. Especially in the current fiscal environment.

But, what do I know?...we will see.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I was wondering if Park might be using the recovery reporting to help the polywell crowd out with some progress insight, but the exact dollar match in the reports do seem to give the Navy a way to close that door.

It will be interesting to see what happens next; that will be telling. I have my fingers crossed. Maybe we will get another report just so that the "Final Report" box can be properly marked.
Best regards

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

I would argue that the amount of funding polywell requires is trivial compared to what the DoE is already wasting on NIF, tokamak, and other immense wastages. I can easily see the Navy getting the DoE's funding for fusion nixed while they move polywell to black budget.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Any news from Alan Boyle attempt to get an interview with Dr. Park?