Room-temperature superconductivity?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

johanfprins wrote:
tomclarke wrote: Time dilation (LT) is symmetric and each clock sees the other clock's pulses slower on both inbound and outbound journeys

Doppler shift is symmetric, on inbound journey both clocks receive pulses faster and on outbound journey both clocks receive pulses slower.

The EFFECT of doppler shift is asymmetric. Because by Q clock inbound and outbound journeys take the same time. By P clock inbound and outbound journeys take different times.
I am sorry but you are running in circles and grabbing at straws.

Let us say the two twins pass each other and set both their clocks to zero, then after a time t on the clock of twin1 the other twin2 is a distance D=v*t away from twin1 and according to twin2 measuring tp at that instant in time the other twin1 is at a distance Dp=v*tp aweay. But the distance between the twins MUST always be the same value so that at any instant in time on both clocks you MUST have that D=Dp, and thus that t=tp.
Here is the mistake in your argument (bold above). Your argument rests on "at that instant in time" being defined independently of frame.

That is true in a Newtonian world, SR teaches us that "at that instant in time", between distant clocks, can only be defined relative to some frame.

The two measures here are relative to different frames, hence cannot be equated as you have done here.

Hence this argument is invalid.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

tomclarke wrote:
johanfprins wrote:
So:

time dilation is symmetric

twins paradox is not symmetric when one twin stays in frame, and other twin chnages frame because we must add time-shift on frame change to time dilation. Time shift is always more important than time dilation, and has opposite effect. Time shift is clearly asymmetric since the stationary twin does not shift frames.
The latter conclusion is in TOTAL violation of Einstein's first postulate AS WELL AS the Lorentz transformation; and must therefore be wrong.
Would you care to substantiate this argument?
I have done it over and over and over and over on this thread.
SR 1st postulate wrote: The laws by which the states of physical systems undergo change are not affected, whether these changes of state be referred to the one or the other of two systems of coordinates in uniform translatory motion.
Correct: This means that the same experiment done within different inertial refrence frames must give the exact same result. Measuring time, requires a physical device which means that the same physical device MUST give the same result within different inertial refrence frames: If not, Einstein's first postulate must be wrong.
In this case the travelling twin is shifting between frames. NOT uniform translatory motion.
Then derive for me DIRECTLY from the Lorentz transformation equations what happens during this so-called "shifting between frames". I am not interested in your wrong interpretation of Minkowki's mathematics.
Re LT. The LT establishes a transformation between two frames, you are not applying it to relate stationary twin time in the travelling twin outbound and inbound frames at the point where it turns round. This application is asymmetric,
It is not possible to be asymmetric since you are working with RELATIVE motion which can ONLY be symmetric as viewed from either reference frame. To decide that it is asymmetric you must use a third uniquely stationary reference frame. Einstein's postulates as well as. ALL experiments (like the Michelson Morley experiment) prove that such a reefrence frame does not exist!!!!

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

tomclarke wrote: Here is the mistake in your argument (bold above). Your argument rests on "at that instant in time" being defined independently of frame.
You are wrong since it is not a mistake. Do you agree that after the clocks have coincided and both set to zero time that when clock K shows a time t, clock Kp is an actual distance v*t from K, and when clock Kp shows a time tp clock K is an actual distance v*tp from K? YES OR NO?

And do you agree that in terms of Einstein's first postulate, at any time on either clock, the distance between the clocks must have a single value: YES OR NO?

So for this single distance between the clocks YOU MUST HAVE that v*t=v*tp: YES OR NO?

And since v is relative, this means that t=tp: The clocks are keeping the same time all the time after they have been set to zero when they coincided!! Even if they were not both set to zero, they will still keep time at the same rate, or do you think that a clock in the USA that is set 7 hours behind a clock in South Africa is keeping slower time. Please stop this foolishness.
That is true in a Newtonian world, SR teaches us that "at that instant in time", between distant clocks, can only be defined relative to some frame.
What frame?
The two measures here are relative to different frames, hence cannot be equated as you have done here.
The clocks must keep the same rate of time or else they violate Einstein's first postulate. Thus, if after setting both clocks to zero when their positions coincided, one clock shows a time t=T, the other clock, at that SAME instant in time, MUST simultaneously show a time tp=T.
Hence this argument is invalid.
The argument is perfectly logical in terms of Einstein's first postulate, and therefore it must be valid. Your argument violates Einstein's first postulate and must thus be invalid.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Johan wrote: Then derive for me DIRECTLY from the Lorentz transformation equations what happens during this so-called "shifting between frames". I am not interested in your wrong interpretation of Minkowki's mathematics.
Sure: The LT says it all. For simplicity set c = 1, so v < 1.

gamma = sqrt[1- (v^2)]^-0.5

x = gamma x' +vt
t = gamma t' + gamma v x'

Now consider the Q clock frames, with axes chosen so x=0 at the point Q changes frame. Suppose the velocity betwen P & Q is v. The two Q frames, F1 and F2, see P frame moving respectively away from and towards Q with speed v.

To transform from F1 to F2 we consider the

So if (x,t) are the F1 coords and (x',t') are the F2 coords:

x'= gamma2 x -v2 t
t' = gamma2 t - gamma2 v2 x
where v2 = 2v/(1-v^2)
and gamma2 = sqrt(1-v2^2)-1

at the changeover therefore the difference in time of an event at P is gamma2 v2 D, where D is the distance between P & Q in F1.

So if we work out the time passing on the P clock from the Q Frames, if Tq is the Q clock journey time inbound or outbound, we get:

gamma Tq (elapsed time on P clock in F1 during outbound journey)
gamma Tq (same for inbound journey)

gamma2 v2 D (P clock change in time between F1 and F2)

Since Tq = v D this time shift can be rewritten:

gamma2 Tq (v2/v)

------------------------------------
It is easy to mistake what is going on here. Any frame induces (t,x,y,z) coordinates on space. Different frames have different coordinates: the LT defines what is the difference.

Clocks keeping the same time (Johan's thing) applies to the time coordinate in the rest frame of the clock (obviously) I have been calling the time so defined proper time.

Comparing times of two distant clocks is therefore frame dependent. However comparing times of two clocks next to each other is absolute.

For a two clocks to be next to each other twice (so you can compare rate) at least one clock must change frame, or both must stay in the same frames.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

tomclarke wrote:
Johan wrote: Then derive for me DIRECTLY from the Lorentz transformation equations what happens during this so-called "shifting between frames". I am not interested in your wrong interpretation of Minkowki's mathematics.
As soon as somebody states "put c=1" then I know that he is doing mathematics without caring a HELL about physics. So try again without putting c=1.

The fact remains that the laws of physics are IDENTICAL within ANY inertial reference frame. It is thus IMPOSSIBLE to have two identically constructed perfect clocks within different inertial refrence frames that do not keep identical time rates. If they do NOT, Einstein's first postulate MUST BE WRONG!!!

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

johanfprins wrote:
tomclarke wrote:
As soon as somebody states "put c=1" then I know that he is doing mathematics without caring a HELL about physics. So try again without putting c=1.

The fact remains that the laws of physics are IDENTICAL within ANY inertial reference frame. It is thus IMPOSSIBLE to have two identically constructed perfect clocks within different inertial refrence frames that do not keep identical time rates. If they do NOT, Einstein's first postulate MUST BE WRONG!!!
Johan - don't be childish. Physicists are not slaves to SI units. If you don't want c=1 just replace v everywhere by v/c, v2 by v2/c. No other change, and answers the same.

I am not, myself, a fan of proof by repeated statement of the conclusion. I have a belief that you similarly value logical argument, and want your conclusions to be soundly based, or I would not have stayed on this thread.

You will note above that the reality of time shift on changing frame, which I have proved as you asked direct from the Lorentz Transform, does not break Einstein's postulate. Nor do the conclusions from that - e.g. that clock Q shows less time than clock P between A and B, or that time dilation is absolute in this context, but related to change in frame. I have never said that "clocks do not keep identical time rates within their rest frames", nor is it in any way implied by my arguments, nor have you shown this.

These conclusions do show that:
(1) Relativistic space-time is different from Newtonian space-time: there is no priviledged time axis.
(2) Global time can only be defined relative to a frame
(3) Different paths through spacetime between the same two events can have different proper times.

Perhaps, as an axiom, you are unable to accept one of these facts, in which case no more dialog is needed, we have discovered why you disagree with me and many others.

best wishes, Tom

charliem

Post by charliem »

I'm starting to get a headache from all this.

Lets see if I have it right.

Both try to justify/solve the twins paradox of SR, but to do that have to fill one hole in SR, that it says nothing of what happens in inertial FR switches.

So you do it starting from a different principle, Johan from SR first postulate, and Tom from the LT equations.

Not surprising that don't agree with the conclusion.

Personally I have my favorite, but, as always, would like an experiment to decide.

What about a particle storage ring and using mean lifetime for a clock? With the right disposition we can make particles circulate in opposite directions at the same time (so no gravity/GR differences).
"The problem is not what we don't know, but what we do know [that] isn't so" (Mark Twain)

kcdodd

Post by kcdodd »

This same point is still being argued? I think it's been like at least a month since I last checked this thread.
Carter

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

The math says one or the other, so why not just throw the math up and let us all judge on our own. Citing pre-existing works to show the proper equations would be wonderful.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

I actually think the last few pages have been much better regarding the math, quite a few equations thrown up.

CaptainBeowulf

Post by CaptainBeowulf »

Looking at the argument, I would say that:
(1) Relativistic space-time is different from Newtonian space-time: there is no priviledged time axis.
I don't think Tom and Johan are really disagreeing here. This strikes me as more of a difference in semantics and limitations of language... Johan uses phrases like "a moment in time" and Tom says this is undefined. However, Tom says that there is no privileged reference frame and Johan says he isn't considering things from another frame - just that when the LTs are done both frames agree on the time.
Global time can only be defined relative to a frame
Again, I think the limitations of the English language get in the way here. Johan seems to be trying to derive equal times (ie. a global time) from different reference frames.
Different paths through spacetime between the same two events can have different proper times.
It strikes me that this is where there is complete disagreement. Tom follows the widely accepted interpretation of Minkowski space/mathematics to show this answer, Johan rejects popular Minkowski space interpretations by starting from Einstein's first postulate.

If the mainstream interpretation of Minkowski space is correct, I think Tom has summed it up very well:
In this case the travelling twin is shifting between frames. NOT uniform translatory motion. Other than this shift all is symmetric. So we are consistent with this

Re LT. The LT establishes a transformation between two frames, you are not applying it to relate stationary twin time in the travelling twin outbound and inbound frames at the point where it turns round. This application is asymmetric, becaue the stationary twin never alters frame.
On the other hand, Johan's contention that Minkowski space is incorrect and that Einstein's first postulate overrules it is... interesting, and well enough argued that I'm less confident of the mainstream position than before.

About the only thing that would take this argument further would be a detailed post from Johan about where Minkowski went wrong... Johan, maybe you've already done this, but I wasn't able to separate it from the rest of the discussion.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

When Tom posts sloppy mathematics like this:

x = gamma x' +vt

Then I lose interest. Except for setting a physically real parameter equal to unity so that it drops out of the equations, which is a dangerous thing to do in physics, the first of his last two equations is wrong. I do not have the time to try and figure out the meanderings in Tom's head are, since so far I have found him to be confused. So let me post a manifesto:

MANIFESTO

1. A stationary clock does not have time-dilation.
2. All stationary clocks must thus keep time at the exact same rate.
3. A moving clock is stationary within the inertial reference frame that moves with it.
4. All moving clocks must thus keep the same time rate within the inertial reference fames that move with them respectively.
5. A time dilation occurs within a reference frame relative to which a clock moves.
6. The clock moves with zillions of relative speeds relative to zillions of inertial reference frames, and thus causes zillions of time-dilations.
7. Zillions of time dilations cannot simultaneously manifest on the same clock within its own inertial reference frame, and do not do so since this clock, like all other clocks, is keeping the exact stationary time rate within its own inertial reference frame like ALL clocks do.
8. Since the clocks with both twins are stationary relative to the twins respectively, they keep the SAME stationary time rate, and therefore the twins must remain the exact same age.
9. From the perspective of each twin the other twin's clock is subject to a time dilation which is also accompanied by length stretching.
10. The latter perceived time dilation is the same as observed by both twins, and is the same whether the two twins move away from one another or towards one another.
11. Whether the twins move away or towards one another still does not change the fact that their respective clocks keep the exact time rate within the respective reference frames of the twins.
12. The clocks can be compared while the twins move relative to one another: It is accepted that they can set both clocks to read zero when their clocks pass one another at the beginning of the journey.
13. Thus they must be able to compare the clocks when they again pass one another at the end of the journey.
14. Since the clocks kept the exact same time rate within their respective reference frames they must read the same time at the end of the journey when they again pass one another.
15. Thus the twins will be the same age after the round trip has been completed.
15. Four dimensional space-time ONLY has physical relevance when stationary clocks at different positions keep different time rates: Only then can one define a Minkowski space-time infinitessimal distance ds that makes physics-sense.
16. In special relativity ALL stationary clocks keep exactly the same time rate: It is thus stupid to use ds in this case since it has no physics meaning nor relevance.
17. Only when there is a gravitaional field does clock rates change with position for stationary clocks: Thus ONLY in this case is the use of ds physically relevant, and can the concept of Minkowski space-time be used.
18. Einstein was thus correct to have opposed the use of Minkowski space-time for SR and to only have used it when he modelled gravity.
19. A returning twin can only be younger when he has spent part of his journey near a black hole: But he probably will have died due to the enormous gravity before returning home.
Last edited by johanfprins on Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

charliem wrote:Personally I have my favorite, but, as always, would like an experiment to decide.
I agree that this should be the final arbiter. It does not matter how logical we think we are, physics has the mean nature to suddenly jump up and bite you. That is why it is so important not to become a religious believer in mainstream dogma.
What about a particle storage ring and using mean lifetime for a clock? With the right disposition we can make particles circulate in opposite directions at the same time (so no gravity/GR differences).
The problem is that relative to a clock within the laboratory you WILL measure time dilation. What you need to check is whether a clock that moves with the particles also show a time dilation: I believe it will not. This is why I am proposing sending a lump of radio-active material at high speed to and fro through a long tunnel, and then after many return trips comparing this radio-active material with an identical lump that stayed behind. I am sure, that if Einstein's first postulate is correct, no difference will be found.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

CaptainBeowulf wrote:Looking at the argument, I would say that:
I don't think Tom and Johan are really disagreeing here. This strikes me as more of a difference in semantics and limitations of language... Johan uses phrases like "a moment in time" and Tom says this is undefined. However, Tom says that there is no privileged reference frame and Johan says he isn't considering things from another frame - just that when the LTs are done both frames agree on the time.
Global time can only be defined relative to a frame
Again, I think the limitations of the English language get in the way here. Johan seems to be trying to derive equal times (ie. a global time) from different reference frames.
Different paths through spacetime between the same two events can have different proper times.
It strikes me that this is where there is complete disagreement. Tom follows the widely accepted interpretation of Minkowski space/mathematics to show this answer, Johan rejects popular Minkowski space interpretations by starting from Einstein's first postulate.

If the mainstream interpretation of Minkowski space is correct, I think Tom has summed it up very well:
In this case the travelling twin is shifting between frames. NOT uniform translatory motion. Other than this shift all is symmetric. So we are consistent with this

Re LT. The LT establishes a transformation between two frames, you are not applying it to relate stationary twin time in the travelling twin outbound and inbound frames at the point where it turns round. This application is asymmetric, becaue the stationary twin never alters frame.
On the other hand, Johan's contention that Minkowski space is incorrect and that Einstein's first postulate overrules it is... interesting, and well enough argued that I'm less confident of the mainstream position than before.

About the only thing that would take this argument further would be a detailed post from Johan about where Minkowski went wrong... Johan, maybe you've already done this, but I wasn't able to separate it from the rest of the discussion.
An excellent summary: Great! See my manifesto above for my argument why Minkowski space-time should not be used for SR but onlyr when gravity is being modelled.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

johanfprins wrote:When Tom posts sloppy mathematics like this:

x = gamma x' +vt

Then I lose interest. Except for setting a physically real parameter equal to unity so that it drops out of the equations, which is a dangerous thing to do in physics,
Using units appropriate for the calculation is a very usual thing in physics. If you can't abstract away from SI units you are an engineer, not a physicist.

In this case just choose "natural" units of time and space so that c=1, e.g.:
time measured in years
space measured in light-years

etc.

c of course is not a physically real parameter (like fine structure constant) it is a constant dimensioned quantity. Therefore it defines physically real units. SI units don't respect this, but others do.

the first of his last two equations is wrong. I do not have the time to try and figure out the meanderings in Tom's head are, since so far I have found him to be confused.
typos will abound in anything I post here. And possibly errors. But Johan has not yet bothered himself with any substantive math.

In this case gamma x' + vt should be gamma x' + vt'

If you want a math and logic consistency check, the real one is comparing the clock time difference as calculated in P rest frame:

where if the P clock time is Tp, the Q clock time (from time dilation) is T/gamma, so the difference is Tp(1-1/gamma) = Tq(gamma-1)

with that calculated (in a much more complex way) in the Q frames as above. I'll do this myself when I have time since I may well have made a mistake in precisely how I've done the Q frames math.
So let me post a manifesto:

MANIFESTO

1. A stationary clock does not have time-dilation.
Time dilation only exists between two time rates. This manifesto statement is therefore meaningless without qualification! Time-dilation relative to what?
2. All stationary clocks must thus keep time at the exact same rate.
What does this mean? I think Johan means that every clock measured time in its rest frame (proper time). That is the definition of a clock. But why does he keep on viewing this as something that must be repeatedly stated?
3. A moving clock is stationary within the inertial reference frame that moves with it.
We all agree this
4. All moving clocks must thus keep the same time rate within the inertial reference fames that move with them respectively.
Of course
5. A time dilation occurs within a reference frame relative to which a clock moves.
This is loose. I think Johan means that time dilation is the difference in rate between a clock measured in its rest frame, and the clock measured in some other frame.
6. The clock moves with zillions of relative speeds relative to zillions of inertial reference frames, and thus causes zillions of time-dilations.
Or, more properly, every different reference frame, measuring a given clock, will see a possibly different time dilation as determined by the relative speed of the frame and the clock rest frame. But I don't think we have any disagreement here.
7. Zillions of time dilations cannot simultaneously manifest on the same clock within its own inertial reference frame, and do not do so since this clock, like all other clocks, is keeping the exact stationary time rate within its own inertial reference frame like ALL clocks do.
Whoaa! What is "time dilation manifesting on a clock"? It sounds mystical to me, not physics. The physics is simply that clock time, when measured using another clock, depends on the frame within which it is measured.
8. Since the clocks with both twins are stationary relative to the twins respectively, they keep the SAME stationary time rate, and therefore the twins must remain the exact same age.
Whoaa! What does "the twins must remain the exact same age" mean? It has no meaning except when the meet again. But then the statement is only true if proper time path length is the same for two different (non-inertial) paths in spacetime. That is a Johan special assumption. Never proven by him, nor implied by SR postulates. It slips past most readers because we are conditioned to think in Newtonian terms, where it would automatically be true.
subject to a time dilation which is also accompanied by length stretching.
I don't understand what this means. Both time dilation and length stretching happen but are properties of measurement in one frame of a clock or distance in another. They precisely correspond to the LT which transforms length and time coordinates between frames.

I'm just not sure how Johan will apply these things. If he does so consistently he will have no diference from me!
10. The latter perceived time dilation is the same as observed by both twins, and is the same whether the two twins move away from one another or towards one another.
OK. Here he is specifying frames, so the statement is meaningful, and correct. On both outbound and inbound journeys measuring of one twin's clock in the other twin's frame results in a time dilation of gamma.
11. Whether the twins move away or towards one another still does not change the fact that their respective clocks keep the exact time rate within the respective reference frames of the twins.
I think this is a restatement of 4? Or may be 4 and 10?
12. The clocks can be compared while the twins move relative to one another:
WARNING! Clocks cannot be uniquely compared in this case. We can compare clocks in either of the two twins' frames (getting different answers) or some completely different frame. If Johan means this, fine. But I think he is implying the existence of some absolute frame within which the comparison must always be done. Apologies if this does him injustice.
It is accepted that they can set both clocks to read zero when their clocks pass one another at the beginning of the journey.
Absolutely.
13. Thus they must be able to compare the clocks when they again pass one another at the end of the journey.
Absolutely
14. Since the clocks kept the exact same time rate within their respective reference frames they must read the same time at the end of the journey when they again pass one another.
No, no, no. That would only be true if the proper time along the two distinct paths the clocks take through spacetime were the same. Now, I have shown precisely using LT that this is NOT the same.

Even if you do not accept this, Johan has nowhere shown that it IS the same. If Johan wishes to propound a version of SR in which space and time are separate, so that by definition all spatial paths between two events have the same proper (clock) time: fair enough. But to pretend that this non-standard idea is a logical consequence of the SR postulates has nowhere been shown. Johan has many times stated this, without proof.
15. Thus the twins will be the same age after the round trip has been completed.
No. See 14.
15. Four dimensional space-time ONLY has physical relevance when stationary clocks at different positions keep different time rates: Only then can one define a Minkowski space-time infinitessimal distance ds that makes physics-sense.
This is just plain wrong. I can't see how Johan derives it. I guess that his confusion over "keeping the same rate" where he thinks that "proper time (ds)" as measured by a clock must be a property of some absolute time rather than simply the (rest frame time) length of the spacetime path through which the clock travels. But that is only a guess.

The LT (which I use) establishes the relationship between times in one frame and times in another. Obviously you can have clocks in the two frames, in which case each clock measures the other as running slower.

Johan is right that the LT is an almost inescapable consequence of the Minkowski space metric. Accept one, you need the other. (I've cited Lorentzian relativity - which has evolved into something that allows an ether (and hence Newtonian spacetime) but explicitly breaks Einstein's first postulate to do this and remain consistent. It is physically identical to SR for twin's paradox, and can be seen as an alternate interpretation of SR.

Johan, I think, is stuck with a pseudo-Newtonian notion of time where he finds the physical consequences of LT inconsistent. So he tries to construct a physics in which it is not "real".
16. In special relativity ALL stationary clocks keep exactly the same time rate: It is thus stupid to use ds in this case since it has no physics meaning nor relevance.
Again, this extension from local time-keeping (tautologously at same rate) to some sort of global comparison. Johan has not defined how he is comparing the times of clocks in different frames. I have (via LT) and can show all the ins and outs.

You would think that since this concept is so central to his argument Johan would explain how he compares the times of clocks in two different inertial frames to see whether they "keep the same rate". He cannot do this consistently, which is why he does not try. (He did way back propose some way to do this, I corrected it and he has not come back with a correction to my correction).

Note that where clocks can be unambiguously compared we must have one at least changing frames.
17. Only when there is a gravitaional field does clock rates change with position for stationary clocks: Thus ONLY in this case is the use of ds physically relevant, and can the concept of Minkowski space-time be used.
We have no disagreement about GR, and it is not the topic of this debate.
18. Einstein was thus correct to have opposed the use of Minkowski space-time for SR and to only have used it when he modelled gravity.
This is a matter of choice. Minkowski spacetime is consistent with LT. My arguments throughout this thread do not rest on Minkowski spacetime - they rest only on the Lorentz Transformation which is derived from SR postulates. I find it easier to visualise what is happening with Minkowski Spacetime, but it is not compulsory. The point being that MS is consistent with Einstein's understanding of SR.
19. A returning twin can only be younger when he has spent part of his journey near a black hole: But he probably will have died due to the enormous gravity before returning home.
[/quote]
In summary, Johan's statements here lay out his thinking more completely than before, but it contains gaps and conceptual errors. I've indicated above what I believe these to be. Johan's conclusions are also in violation of many different experiments. If it was just a different interpretation i would not mind, but his reasoning leads to wrong physical predictions.