United States: State of the Union 2012, energy section

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

bennmann

United States: State of the Union 2012, energy section

Post by bennmann »

President Obama said,
We can also spur energy innovation with new incentives. The differences in this chamber may be too deep right now to pass a comprehensive plan to fight climate change. But there's no reason why Congress shouldn't at least set a clean energy standard that creates a market for innovation. So far, you haven't acted. Well tonight, I will. I'm directing my Administration to allow the development of clean energy on enough public land to power three million homes. And I'm proud to announce that the Department of Defense, the world's largest consumer of energy, will make one of the largest commitments to clean energy in history - with the Navy purchasing enough capacity to power a quarter of a million homes a year.
Can someone elaborate on that last bit about the Navy?

Hopefully next year a President will be announcing polywells for all Navy ships.

Enginerd

Re: United States: State of the Union 2012, energy section

Post by Enginerd »

bennmann wrote:President Obama said,
We can also spur energy innovation with new incentives. The differences in this chamber may be too deep right now to pass a comprehensive plan to fight climate change. But there's no reason why Congress shouldn't at least set a clean energy standard that creates a market for innovation. So far, you haven't acted. Well tonight, I will. I'm directing my Administration to allow the development of clean energy on enough public land to power three million homes. And I'm proud to announce that the Department of Defense, the world's largest consumer of energy, will make one of the largest commitments to clean energy in history - with the Navy purchasing enough capacity to power a quarter of a million homes a year.
It is hereby decreed that all Navy ships will be immediately retrofitted with windmills and solar panels covering their decks. It is decreed that the windmills must provide 100% of the ship power with green energy, which obviously can be easily harvested from the wind created as the ship moves. It is further decreed that all naval operations will now take place during bright overhead sunlight and when a strong head wind is blowing. The USA will immediately begin treaty negotiations will all hostile nations and terrorist organizations. In return for piles of money, will will ask all hostile forces to agree to never attack at night or when the wind is not blowing, and agree to only spend the money on books and medicine for crippled children.

Seems just like something our well informed politicians would mandate. :-)
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
--Philip K. Dick

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

He is talking about base solar initiatives. The navy has spent some silly money the past couple of years renovating cold war and pre-cold war buildings to something the attempts to contain energy vice the bleeding gutted pigs they were (many were just outright demolished as lost causes and hazmat bombs). The rennovations included in a number of cases solar and green design components like stupid expensive windows, HVAC green redos, etc.

If ONR pulls off Polywell, it will be a complete game changer that will not wait for "State of the Union" addresses.

As for Solar on ships. Hehe. It is something that to date is not really been played with. Part of the issue is the real-estate required to get anything useful. There is some argument to use it to supplement hot water supplies, and other minor loads. The bottom line is that the current way US Navy ships are designed from the ground up they are not efficient. The real efficiency sought is in water drag reduction. Even air drag has a second seat to many other considerations (wrongfully so IMO), and as far as internal heat/cold...the concern remains with the equipment, personnel are a far second (or third, or forth...).
There are many things we could do to save power usage on ships, but given the energy density we equip them with, it has not really been a traditional concern. Newer designs however are considering this as the new shift to all electric gains momentum, and new systems coming on line are massive power hogs compared to the days of old. In any event, traditional design still looks to the bulk of power produced going to turning the wheels. The next major usage is generation in-efficiencies losses.

I do not mean to ressurect the discussion we had previously in an old thread regarding ship power usage trends. Sorry.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

happyjack27

Re: United States: State of the Union 2012, energy section

Post by happyjack27 »

bennmann wrote:President Obama said,

Hopefully next year a President will be announcing polywells for all Navy ships.
it sounds like they are zoning enough public land for renewable energy to power three million homes, and the navy will be purchasing 1/12 of the capacity, thus incentiving development on that land.
Last edited by happyjack27 on Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I kinda like the idea of tax reductions for high tech companies, especially those producing domestically. Tax reductions for companies are always a good idea.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

Skipjack wrote: Tax reductions for companies are always a good idea.
nothing that broad is "always" anything.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yeah, I thought about going back and correcting it to "most of the time", but I was to lazy. Was hoping people would not insist on being dicks like that and take it too literal. Guess I should have.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

The Navy is also doing other things. For instance, simply adding certain hydrodynamic features to ships can reduce powering needs significantly. Also, some ships are going "hybrid", aka electric-ship. Finally, the Navy is purchasing large amounts of algae based fuels.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I have a fantastic story about stern wedges and confronting the then Commander, Third Fleet and why we were not installing them on our ships back in 1998.
His answer was Classic Washington: "Well, you know these thigns cost money to do, and sometimes it is more important to spend money on other things that are more important. And you know, it is not always apparent what is more important to do. But rest assured we always spend money on what is important, it is just that we have other important priorities that may not be visible that are more important."

This was what he said after being shown that installed wedges would cost about $50K each and would pay for themselves within 6 to 9 months of ship operations, and then contribute to net savings in fuel, with an added bonus that testing had shown the ship would actually be a bit faster than the predicted bit slower on top speed.

That would have been 14 years of fuel usage savings...

Of course, now we put them on ships...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

Skipjack wrote:
Yeah, I thought about going back and correcting it to "most of the time", but I was to lazy. Was hoping people would not insist on being dicks like that and take it too literal. Guess I should have.
correcting logical mistakes is not being a dick. on the contrary, it's often the only thing that avoids catastrophe.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

correcting logical mistakes is not being a dick. on the contrary, it's often the only thing that avoids catastrophe.
Sigh, it was not a logical mistake, it was a lazy ass writing in a casual remark in a rather casual conversation.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

ladajo wrote:I have a fantastic story about stern wedges and confronting the then Commander, Third Fleet and why we were not installing them on our ships back in 1998.
His answer was Classic Washington: "Well, you know these thigns cost money to do, and sometimes it is more important to spend money on other things that are more important. And you know, it is not always apparent what is more important to do. But rest assured we always spend money on what is important, it is just that we have other important priorities that may not be visible that are more important."

This was what he said after being shown that installed wedges would cost about $50K each and would pay for themselves within 6 to 9 months of ship operations, and then contribute to net savings in fuel, with an added bonus that testing had shown the ship would actually be a bit faster than the predicted bit slower on top speed.

That would have been 14 years of fuel usage savings...

I take it the Navy application is to raise the stern and reduce the wake as opposed to the wakeboard application that lowers the stern and enhances the wake?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It is a "virtual" lengthening of the waterline, which in turn manifests as increased efficieny due to further seperation of the bow wave from the stern wave. It also has the effect of reshaping the wake, and reducing transom drag.
The idea of slowing came from analysis that the increased wetted area woudl increase overall hull drag. The effect found in live testing was that the wetted area increase was offset by the virtual hull length increase, which in turn improved hull efficiency over all.

It was a win-win-win that has now finally been bought into across the fleet.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

While we're on the subject, I'd love to hear what the Navy guys here think of the newish Independence class Littoral ships. I'm a big fan of fast, modular, multi-mission, smaller crewed ships to replace the older frigates.

Anyone else here think these new tri-hulls are just the thing to catch those Somali pirates? I think if I were them, I'd pee myself at the sight of a 400' long ship bearing down on me at 45 knots.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote: That would have been 14 years of fuel usage savings...

See, you did some good! Congratulations. 14 years is amazingly fast in normal situations!