Focus Fusion news story

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Seems obvious this is a willful misconstruction of Dan's statement. Mr. Chitva is trolling.
Seems obvious that you can not imagine how big direct energy converter will be.
Five consecutive steps should be carried out in it:
1. Selective Leakage
2. Expansion
3. Electron Separation
4. Deceleration
5. Collection
Once again:
Expancion The plasma stream is guided and expanded in volume by a decreasing magnetic field that reduces the power density and converts rotational energy to directional energy.
You called me "idiot". Now Mr. Smart please explain me what length will be sufficient for only this piece?
Dan said that all mentioned steps are not needed at all. Only to bombard some plate charging that. Is that possible technically? I am afraid that you are not aware with very basic design principles of such devices.
I looked back thru every post where the term idiot was used with myself as the author and failed to find one where I called you an idiot. I did use a conditional wherein one state of the conditional was that you WOULD BE an idiot "if".
The 5 step process seems designed for a Tok, not a Polywell.
Which "rotational energy"?

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

KitemanSA wrote:The 5 step process seems designed for a Tok, not a Polywell.
As illustrated in Figure 1, five processes2 are involved in
the electrostatic direct conversion of the plasma energy
that leaks out of a mirror fusion reactor
Who is idiot now? :)

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Lets break this down step by step in the context of a polywell:
Seems obvious that you can not imagine how big direct energy converter will be.
Five consecutive steps should be carried out in it:
1. Selective Leakage
Inherent to the electric potential well used to confine the fuel ions. The cusps on the magrid also present larger holes to high energy ions as opposed to low energy ions or electrons.
2. Expansion
Based on the quote Joseph cited, this would apply in the context of a thermal plasma direct conversion, not the fusion product direct conversion proposed for a polywell.
3. Electron Separation
A porous grid is proposed to surround the polywell core at a negative potential relative to the magrid slightly greater than electron energy. Electrons escaping the magrid are slowed by this potential difference, reversed, and sent back to the polywell. In current machines without direct conversion, the vacuum chamber serves as this grid for electron recirculation.

I have not seen the old reference Joseph is citing, but I'm guessing a much bulkier magnetic separation device.
4. Deceleration
A potential difference on the order of 1MeV between the above grid and the outer shell slows fusion alphas, collecting their energy.
5. Collection
A simple conductive plate for the now slowed alpha particles to hit and pick up electrons.

All together a fairly compact process, and vastly different than the direct conversion design intended for any of the older magnetic confinement devices.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

hanelyp wrote:
3. Electron Separation
A porous grid is proposed to surround the polywell core at a negative potential relative to the magrid slightly greater than electron energy.
If Debye length of system is less than its geometric dimension you can not separate spices with the help of external electrostatic field.
And only for this reason Expansion stage is needed. Because as result of expansion of a common ion-electron stream escaping the reactor Debye length increases.

Without deceleration in e.g. electrostatic field you can not convert kinetic energy into EDF. But into the thermal and x-rays energy.
And what material of conductive plate are you going to use without deceleration? Power density? :)

These all are fantazy, my friernd.

Post by 303 »

perhaps its better to get fusiion working first, and worry about what to do with it later :D

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Joseph Chikva wrote: Who is idiot now? :)
You?

I also note that you yet again didn't answer a simple question.
Last edited by KitemanSA on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

KitemanSA wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
Who is idiot now? :)
You?[/quote]Me? Because I know better than for example you what will happen? If this in English called "idiot" I am an idiot. If not - not me. As I see the little boy trusting in Santa Claus, seeing that Santa Claus is deception and offending adults.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

303 wrote:perhaps its better to get fusiion working first, and worry about what to do with it later :D
You can finance EMC2. They need that. As they have not money even for maintenance web-site.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
Who is idiot now? :) You?
Me? Because I know better than for example you what will happen? If this in English called "idiot" I am an idiot. If not - not me. As I see the little boy trusting in Santa Claus, seeing that Santa Claus is deception and offending adults.
Now you see? There you are calling yourself an idiot! At least just as much as I did. :lol:

ogiw

Ummmm ...

Post by ogiw »

Ad homenim's aside, I asked joseph some time back about his bona fixes. Specifically, I asked what actual fusion reactor projects he himself has "bent metal" on. I based my inquiry on his incessant, repetitious criticisms of many reactor designs.

I never received a coherent reply.

I do not claim expertise in fusion reactor design or construction.

He does.

Without proof that he is anything but a very knowledgeable theoretician, subject to corroboration, criticism or proof himself.

Or, he's just a fanboy troll ...

Not up to me to decide.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

I found Joseph's attempts at anaologies pretty darn funny actually. Here's a guy that inevitably refers to books and research done in the 70s as though nothing has been learned in 40+ years and then references Santa Claus for good measure. His grasp of the english language is tenuous at best and his lack of desire to read anything that doesn't contribute to his malformed view make these arguments a lesson in futility. I recommend not engaging him in further discussion on this topic or you may have an out-burst the likes of Ladajo's rather awesome Rossi quote-a-thon.

Joseph Chikva

Re: Ummmm ...

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ogiw wrote:Ad homenim's aside, I asked joseph some time back about his bona fixes. Specifically, I asked what actual fusion reactor projects he himself has "bent metal" on. I based my inquiry on his incessant, repetitious criticisms of many reactor designs.

I never received a coherent reply.

I do not claim expertise in fusion reactor design or construction.

He does.

Without proof that he is anything but a very knowledgeable theoretician, subject to corroboration, criticism or proof himself.

Or, he's just a fanboy troll ...

Not up to me to decide.
I am not theoretician as I am engineer. I do not remember what did you ask. May be I missed somwhere. And do you think that real estimation of direct energy converter's length is a trolling?
Do you think that everybody in harmonous order should repeat "Polywell is not a beam machine"? While that is a beam-plasma machine.
Knowing such a simple things I became "knowledgeable theoretician"? Thanks I did not knew. :)

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

ScottL wrote:I found Joseph's attempts at anaologies pretty darn funny actually. Here's a guy that inevitably refers to books and research done in the 70s as though nothing has been learned in 40+ years and then references Santa Claus for good measure.
Say "fundamental" books of those years. As well as Newton Laws, Boltzman thermodynamic, Maxwell electrodynamic also were not developped in last 40+ years. At least I have never met anything denying them. :)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

rather awesome Rossi quote-a-thon.
:D

I still view it as therapy. Not just for me...
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

"Polywell is not a beam machine"
Joseph, You said that POPs is not a beam machine, but Polywell is. Please explain why do you see them differently?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)