Suppressed tech?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Suppressed tech?

Post by choff »

Interesting talk on aluminum air fuel cell for cars, if it's not a big hoax, some problems with the feed.

http://www.ukcolumn.org/article/alumini ... locking-it
CHoff

Asterix

Re: Suppressed tech?

Post by Asterix »

This is nothing more or less than a simple galvanic cell, not much different from a plain old Leclanché cell (i.e. a cheap carbon-zinc battery). Any metal sufficiently high on the electrochemical list can be used in place of aluminum--the Leclanche cell uses zinc, but aluminum, iron, magnesium, etc. can be used instead. The metal is consumed in the process of extracting energy and the cell is a primary cell--that is, not rechargeable.

Using aluminum is pretty inefficient from an energy standpoint as it takes a lot of energy to extract it from alumina (cf. Hall–Héroult process); zinc has the advantage that it can be chemically extracted by roasting ore with coke.

Nothing breakthrough or suppressed here, sorry.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

Asterix wrote:This is nothing more or less than a simple galvanic cell, not much different from a plain old Leclanché cell (i.e. a cheap carbon-zinc battery). Any metal sufficiently high on the electrochemical list can be used in place of aluminum--the Leclanche cell uses zinc, but aluminum, iron, magnesium, etc. can be used instead. The metal is consumed in the process of extracting energy and the cell is a primary cell--that is, not rechargeable.

Using aluminum is pretty inefficient from an energy standpoint as it takes a lot of energy to extract it from alumina (cf. Hall–Héroult process); zinc has the advantage that it can be chemically extracted by roasting ore with coke.

Nothing breakthrough or suppressed here, sorry.
Supposedly they have an easy way to descale the oxide from the cells so you get more longevity from the cell. But basically your Correct, no new tech here. nothing to get excited about.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

Teahive

Post by Teahive »

Not the only ones looking at Al batteries for transportation:
http://green.autoblog.com/2013/03/29/ph ... ile-range/

Given the cycle efficiency for exchanging and recycling the Al and the trajectory for other battery technologies I don't see this becoming particularly successful as primary energy storage in a car. But there's potential for range extending: Use the built-in, rechargeable battery for short trips, add and swap high-density battery modules for longer trips.

choff

Post by choff »

I think the complaint of the researcher in the previous video is more along the lines of, 'somebody else with the political connections gets to roll out the finished product while he's stuck unable to get a license.'
It looks like the major bug they have to make it a viable vehicle cell has to do with smelting aluminum for less cost. It would be perfect for a country like Israel since they don't have the huge distances to cover place to place.
CHoff