10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

Axil wrote:
MSimon wrote:
the ash is the same ratio as the natural product.
You have to admit that is a SIGNIFICANT hole.
This result favors Mileys theory of nuclear reformation based on the magic nuclear numbers based that result from the underlying quark nature of matter. Papers by Miley are available if you are interested.
Speculative and convenienet. Like the W-L gamma absorption.

So physics arrangeds that this reaction has none of the indicators of being nuclear, whilst still being nuclear. God playing a joke?

But note this. Miley is not consistent with slow neutron capture. The little bits of "maybe it could be because of this" speculation don't join up.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

parallel wrote:tomclarke wrote:
BTW the guys who did this testing, Rowan, are not credible 3rd party testers. Nor are they credible chemists, and their report claiming they can't think of a chemical reaction would produce observed heat may be true but is no evidence for BLP claims.
What evidence do you have to back up your extreme claims?

I've seen plenty of the usual deniers make things up on blogs but no proof at all about what you claim.
I'm rather surprised you would pass on second-hand gossip.
wiki wrote: Rowan University staff have been actively involved with BLP for many years. BLP is described as an affiliate company in an undergraduate report of BLP related experiments.[38] Rowan BLP related research has, at least, been partially funded by BLP [39][40] and it has often used materials and equipment supplied by BLP for the experiments.[41] Peter Jansson, a Rowan University Associate professor, has been involved with BLP since at least 1997. He was an executive with Altlantic Energy (a subsidiary of Conectiv in in 1999[42]) when Conectiv invested in BLP.[19] Jansson's 1997 master thesis was related to BLP theories, and he has been a credited author on several BLP related papers including two of the four most recently released. BLP has provided an academic scholarship for at least one of the Rowan University staff that have taken part in the BLP related research by Rowan University.[43]

In 2002 Rowan staff conducted research on a rocket engine based on BLP technology for the NASA Institute for Advanced Concepts (NIAC). The Phase I study was conducted at Rowan University and led by Rowan mechanical engineering professor Anthony Marchese. The team reported that with assistance from BLP, they successfully replicated previous results, including the observation of line broadening indicative of hydrogen atoms moving much faster than would ordinarily be expected under the experimental conditions. The team reported that two thrusters were built and successfully fired however the team did not succeed in making thrust measurements.[44] The project was not picked up for phase II NIAC funding by NASA.[45]

In 2008,[46] 2009[47] and 2010[48] BLP news releases cited research by Rowan University staff as independent verification of BLP claims. None of the reports for this research appears to have been submitted to peer reviewed journals for publication. The current version of the reports for this research can be found on the BLP web site. The reports describe calorimetric and analytical chemistry experiments that according to the summary section of the first report "confirms independently the empirical findings of BLP with respect to anomalous heat generation and chemical analysis".[41]
Rowan's chemistry department has no postgraduate courses and appears not to do any published research (please correct me if wrong). The BLP research has never been peer-reviewed published which if credible it surely would be?

Spectral analysis report summary:
In  this  work,  potassium  chloride  and  potassium  iodide  salts  containing  a  new  form  of  hydrogen  (hydrino) were synthesized. Characterization using solid state MAS  1 H NMR of potassium chloride  salt containing the hydrino  hydrogen (KH*Cl) gave spectral features at ‐4.50 ppm and 1.20 ppm  relative to tetramethylsilane (TMS) while liquid  1 H NMR gave less intense peaks at 1.20 ppm versus 
TMS. MAS  1 H NMR of potassium iodide salt containing the hydrino hydrogen (KH*I) gave an intense broad peak at approximately ‐2.45 ppm relative to TMS while liquid  1 H NMR showed a very intense peak  at  approximately  1.258  ppm.  These  unusual  upfield  shifted  peaks  relative  to  the  respective 
ordinary  molecular  hydrogen  (4.5  ppm  in  liquid  NMR)  and  hydride  (0.8  and  1.1  ppm  in  MAS  1 H NMR)    1 H  NMR  peak  locations   are  similar  to  those  reported  by  BLP.    Samples  synthesized  using 
chemicals provided by BLP also yielded similar MAS  1 H NMR spectral features. BLP has attributed these  peaks  to  lower  energy  hydrogen  (hydrino)  as  hydride  ions  (‐4.5  and  ‐2.45  ppm  in  MAS  1 H 
NMR) and molecular hydrino gas (1.2 ppm in liquid  1 H NMR). Neutron diffraction studies indicate the  possibility  of  trapped  interstitial  atoms  although  the  exact  nature  of  these  could  not  be 
established unambiguously. Elemental analysis on these salts containing hydrino hydrogen showed negligible amounts of Be, Cr, Mn, Ni, Co, Zn, As, Ag, Cd, Sb, Ba and Pb
They claim unusual spectral lines in sample. If this is really the case, and Rowan competent, the paper would be publishable. I am not a chemist, and do not want to research this myself since it would take time. But maybe others have done this?

The recent Rowan paper on anomalous heat output studies a mixture of BLP reactants using water-flow basd calorimetry.
http://www.blacklightpower.com/pdf/Rowan2010.pdf

The heat output is measured as 3% greater than the heat input + known chemical reaction enthalpy for the reactants. This is then uprated to 5% by adding 2% for calorimeter losses.

Such a small level of increase over calculated is not credible evidence of a new state of hydrogen, or anything non-chemical. Rowan appear to take some care over the calorimetry (I don't know how much) much less over possible other exothermic reactions inside the vessel. The excess is so small it could have many possible explanations, even asuming there are no unaccounted experimental errors. It is well known that calorimetry is notoriously tricky to get right.

For this type of evidence to be credible it would need peer review by others to check calorimetriic methodology, and possibility of unnacounted exothermic reactions in material.

If hydrinos really exist it is sort of suprising that BLPs best efforts produce heat output no more than 5% greater than that expected from chemical reaction of the reactants. The expected energy available according to Mills is much higher than this. On the other hand it is not surprising, if you accept QT, that these results are found which are within the range of expected errors.

Best wishes, Tom

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
Rossi says the device runs at full power for 6 months: why is that not long enough for you?
Does that explain my position?
Yet folks around here say "Dr. Bussard says" and anyone who calls them on it is chided. Goose, gander?
Data are lacking, judge not yet.

seedload

Post by seedload »

MSimon wrote:
Rossi says the device runs at full power for 6 months: why is that not long enough for you?
Does that explain my position?
Rossi comes off as a scam artist even to someone who was previously supportive of LENR type reactions and even of far our biological transmutation.

I think that says something.

It takes a whole other level of faith and imagination to believe Rossi.

Axil

Post by Axil »

So physics arrangeds that this reaction has none of the indicators of being nuclear, whilst still being nuclear.

Facts come first, and then the theory follows.

Transmutation of elements has been discovered in biological systems. Now how can that be?

parallel

Post by parallel »

tomclarke,

Your quotes from wiki do little to justify your damning comments.
BTW the guys who did this testing, Rowan, are not credible 3rd party testers. Nor are they credible chemists, and their report claiming they can't think of a chemical reaction would produce observed heat may be true but is no evidence for BLP claims.
You know as well as I do that the mainstream journals are unlikely to publish anything that shows any support for Mills, for the same reason they won't publish papers on cold fusion in general. They will publish a paper from MIT debunking cold fusion even though it turned out that MIT had apparently altered the experimental results to hide the excess heat they found when replicating Pons & Fleischmann,

Do you really think that because an institution provides funds to a university that automatically negates the value of what they discover? Where do you think universities get their research money from? If it is from a government grant does that mean the results will be biased towards government policy? I know that happens sometimes, but to discard all work based on the source of funding is nonsense.

I'm not commenting on the existence of hydrinos because the spectral analysis is not in my area of expertise. I do understand the calorimetry experiments and I haven't seen anyone criticize the work of Rowan U. in this regard. It seems they have done excellent work and it shows they repeatedly found excess heat generated in quantities ranging from 1.2 times to 6.5 times the maximum theoretical heat available through known exothermic reactions.

How come you wrote:
If hydrinos really exist it is sort of suprising that BLPs best efforts produce heat output no more than 5% greater than that expected from chemical reaction of the reactants.
Have you actually read the paper?
http://users.rowan.edu/~jansson/blackli ... er2009.pdf

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Axil wrote:Transmutation of elements has been discovered in biological systems. Now how can that be?
I highly doubt, but I will be more than happy to check your sources about this subject.

Axil

Post by Axil »

NyTeknik reveals Rossi's U.S. partner at the following:

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_m ... 179019.ece

seedload

Post by seedload »

Axil wrote:Transmutation of elements has been discovered in biological systems. Now how can that be?
Bad experiments and false conclusions.

Or is it biological palladium latices working together with biological negative hydrogen super molecule factories - a biological quark soup if you will? Or is it something more mundane like mini biological cyclotrons - which wouldn't be much evidence for LENR anyway?

No, believers in the Kervran effect are just the kind of people who would believe Rossi and BLP - IMHO.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Axil wrote:NyTeknik reveals Rossi's U.S. partner at the following:

http://www.nyteknik.se/nyheter/energi_m ... 179019.ece
Cool, space applications! Woop! Just need to figure out how to continuously pump water into our space ship so that we can get some steam out to shoot it to the moon baby!

Hmmm...

BTW, did I catch that they were going to be selling licenses? There you have it.

seedload

Post by seedload »

parallel wrote:tomclarke,

Your quotes from wiki do little to justify your damning comments.
You know as well as I do that the mainstream journals are unlikely to publish anything that shows any support for Mills, for the same reason they won't publish papers on cold fusion in general. They will publish a paper from MIT debunking cold fusion even though it turned out that MIT had apparently altered the experimental results to hide the excess heat they found when replicating Pons & Fleischmann,

Do you really think that because an institution provides funds to a university that automatically negates the value of what they discover? Where do you think universities get their research money from? If it is from a government grant does that mean the results will be biased towards government policy? I know that happens sometimes, but to discard all work based on the source of funding is nonsense.

I'm not commenting on the existence of hydrinos because the spectral analysis is not in my area of expertise. I do understand the calorimetry experiments and I haven't seen anyone criticize the work of Rowan U. in this regard. It seems they have done excellent work and it shows they repeatedly found excess heat generated in quantities ranging from 1.2 times to 6.5 times the maximum theoretical heat available through known exothermic reactions.

How come you wrote:
If hydrinos really exist it is sort of suprising that BLPs best efforts produce heat output no more than 5% greater than that expected from chemical reaction of the reactants.
Have you actually read the paper?
http://users.rowan.edu/~jansson/blackli ... er2009.pdf
While this initial analysis is not intended to conclusively validate BLP’s lower energy hydrogen hypothesis our conclusions clearly are not in conflict with it. We encourage the scientific community to replicate our experiments and seek to understand with us if there are any alternative explanations for these consistent experimental results.
Glowing!

Speaking of Rowan:

I went to visit my friend at Rowan (Glasboro State University at the time). We had a blast. The whole campus was drunk, everyone got together and started giant fires in the parking lots of the main set of a apartments there, and then the silly police came and there was this little tussle. The news papers were crazy enough to call it a riot the next day - go figure.

I swear that the couches burned a little hotter than they should have.

Axil

Post by Axil »

seedload wrote:

Or is it biological palladium latices working together with biological negative hydrogen super molecule factories - a biological quark soup if you will? Or is it something more mundane like mini biological cyclotrons - which wouldn't be much evidence for LENR anyway?

No, believers in the Kervran effect are just the kind of people who would believe Rossi and BLP - IMHO.
Exactly. This factoid cannot be true because there is no way theory can be made to explain it so way even look into it.

parallel

Post by parallel »

Should anyone be interested in biological transmutation of elements see
Extraordinary Biology http://www.cheniere.org/books/aids/ch5.htm

The experiments are reported to have been replicated several times.

seedload

Post by seedload »

Axil wrote:
seedload wrote:

Exactly. This factoid cannot be true because there is no way theory can be made to explain it so way even look into it.
What? You confuse me. I have read about it and it is garbage, in my opinion.

I suppose that you have looked into it and find it compelling.

But what confuses me is that your support of LENR including Rossi's seems married to very specific conditions of metal latices or nano particles and 'special' circumstances that happen when hydrogen is densely packed into them. But, biological transmutation can't be using these mechanisms, can it? I don't think so. So, what are the mechanisms? Another something new and unexplainable by modern physics? Is this yet another LENR type reaction that is unexplained but with totally different mechanics?

How far down do you wish to drive unlikely in your beliefs?

I don't think you get any support for LENR from biological transmutation gobbledygook. Rather, I think believing in both just demonstrates a propensity to believe.

seedload

Post by seedload »

parallel wrote:Should anyone be interested in biological transmutation of elements see
Extraordinary Biology http://www.cheniere.org/books/aids/ch5.htm

The experiments are reported to have been replicated several times.
Wow! Do you really believe that stuff? I mean, seriously? Copper to gold 'critters' that are dormant, but if you get em in solution they crystallize and then start making your gold for you? Wild stuff!

Believing this does not make you a great proponent for Rossi, IMHO.

You demonstrate a great propensity to believe.