10KW LENR Demonstrator?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Axil

Post by Axil »

parallel wrote:tomclarke,

Does this paper make sense?
H-H dipole interactions in fcc metals
By J.S.Brown
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/cond-mat/pdf/ ... 3715v4.pdf

It is beyond my knowledge of nuclear physics.
It is nevertheless already clear from the above data that entangled states
are favoured in the stoichiometric regime. The existence of a low temperature
phase in which all the deuterons cohere in a mesoscopically entangled state is
hence strongly indicated.
The only state of matter where the “low temperature phase in which all the deuterons cohere” is hydrogen formed as Rydburg matter. Forming hydrogen as a fermionic condensate is near impossible in any other way.

seedload

Post by seedload »

cg66 wrote:
seedload wrote:
raphael wrote: It's also been asserted, IIRC, that a lot of the nickel in a "spent" reactor is recoverable....
Assumes that for some reason you want to arrive at the natural isotopic ratio of copper in the end. What that reason would be is beyond me?

Rossi has said that only NI62 and NI64 actually react. Other isotopes do not react. He has also said that you don't need to enrich it to get reactions. So, assuming he is only adding NI62 and NI64 to get more reactions, the idea that he would need to do this in a ratio that matches natural ratios for copper is odd, unless, I suppose, he intended to mislead. But, if that was his intention, then why admit to being able to enrich?

It doesn't make any sense. Sorry.
seedload - i agree it doesn’t make much sense (certainly one strange coincidence for sure). I just used the natural copper isotope values to back into the amount you would have to enrich the nickel if NI-62 -> Cu-63 and NI-64->Cu-65 were the reactions in the device.
No, I hear you. And you were getting at the point that the 10% additional cost is not unreasonable if your numbers for pure NI62 and NI64 are right (I have no idea whether they are btw). All that would be good except that Rossi himself said that he invented a new way to get these isotopes.
Dear Jed Rothwell:
I am not going to give more information about this issue. Just can say we have invented a process of ours to enrich Ni without relevant costs. To elaborate Ni powders along classic processes is the invention of the hot water. It is as invent and patent the sputtering in 2010…
Warm regards,
A.R.

cg66

Post by cg66 »

seedload wrote:No, I hear you. And you were getting at the point that the 10% additional cost is not unreasonable if your numbers for pure NI62 and NI64 are right (I have no idea whether they are btw). All that would be good except that Rossi himself said that he invented a new way to get these isotopes.
Dear Jed Rothwell:
I am not going to give more information about this issue. Just can say we have invented a process of ours to enrich Ni without relevant costs. To elaborate Ni powders along classic processes is the invention of the hot water. It is as invent and patent the sputtering in 2010…
Warm regards,
A.R.
seedload - just read that and was going to post it - ya beat me to it. Rossi's response doesn't mean much to me - classical processes plus hot water & sputtering?

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

cg66 wrote:
seedload wrote:No, I hear you. And you were getting at the point that the 10% additional cost is not unreasonable if your numbers for pure NI62 and NI64 are right (I have no idea whether they are btw). All that would be good except that Rossi himself said that he invented a new way to get these isotopes.
Dear Jed Rothwell:
Warm regards,
A.R.
seedload - just read that and was going to post it - ya beat me to it. Rossi's response doesn't mean much to me - classical processes plus hot water & sputtering?
I think he meant that if he had invented a "classic" method of enriching Ni, it would be similar as "inventing" hot water. That means, not an invention at all.

He means he invented a new, novel way of enriching it.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Well if he is "enriching" in the classic sense, what is he doing with the waste?

Or is he somehow transmuting...? I dunno.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

He means he invented a new, novel way of enriching it.
I wonder if he is selling shares in that?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Axil

Post by Axil »

I would like to draw attention to the word “sputtering” in Rossi’s response.

During the processing of the nano-powder, I speculate that when Rossi implants the nickel nano-powder onto the walls of the stainless steel reaction vessel, the sputtering technique that he uses implants the powder particles enriched in heavy nickel isotopes in preference to the powder particles enriched with only light ones.

This could be the result of the magnetic and/or electrostatic guiding technique Rossi is using that puts the powder particles where he wants them to go.

It could be that Rossi only wastes 10% of the nano-powder in this “sputtering” process

Rossi is not going to rework the nano-powder he is getting from his nano-powder vender. So it must be a particle selection process that somehow selects particles containing heavy isotopes in preference to light ones.
Last edited by Axil on Fri May 20, 2011 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I am pretty sure that he is just saying that enrichment is short of full separation. Both are separation. Only the terminology I used would imply getting isotopically pure results.
Yes, that is what I meant. If you are not trying to do a complete separation, but only a very low level enrichment, you might open other, cheaper ways towards achieving the goal. I am not saying that this is what Rossi is doing (I am still not convinced that he is not a scam), but I am just trying to point out a potentially to simplistic angle on the matter.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

Axil wrote:I would like to draw attention to the word “sputtering” in Rossi’s response.
interesting answer. But please, can you tell me what "sputtering" means? Not an english word that I know, and Google Translate didnt help at all.

raphael

Post by raphael »

Dear Jed Rothwell:
Warm regards,
A.R.

Here's what Rossi was attempting to say:

To assert that we are enriching Ni powders in the conventional manner would be tantamount to asserting, absurdly, that we have invented either hot water or, in 2010, the then-long-familiar process of sputtering.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To AcesHigh: here ya go, sputtering....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sputter_deposition
Last edited by raphael on Sat May 21, 2011 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden." Chauncey Gardiner

Helius

Post by Helius »

Ivy Matt wrote:
scalziand wrote:The folks at the Oil Drum are having a thread about the Energy Catalyzer, and it is rather amusing how some of the commenters are scared :!: :!: :!: less over the prospect of practical fusion.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7942
This gives me an idea. :twisted:

Within a few months I will begin selling unobtainium futures on the market in order to finance my new starship design corporation. The first 5000 shares will only be available to Talk Polywell commenters. Who wants in?
My aged Grandmother spotted your offer over my shoulder... She wants to send you 3 of her next 6 Social Security Checks, but only if you have a signed contract with some non-committal large corporation. Do you have one of those yet? Oh, yea, and her shares need to be exclusive... Only so many aged grandmothers are allowed; the number being related somehow to the number of aged grandmothers whom ask for shares in a very short initial timeframe...

She just sighed up here at Talk-Polywell, so she qualifies. Keep us posted as your research develops!

raphael

Post by raphael »

Ah yes, the "unobtainium" jokes.

Hilarious in the extreme; and, each one better than the last!
"As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden." Chauncey Gardiner

raphael

Post by raphael »

parallel wrote:seedload,
Oh, and Parallel, stop asking me for content when you ignore the content I provide.
What content? Setting up straw men to knock down with repetitive explanations, all are already familiar with, doesn't count and just shows you didn't understand the point being made.

You seem to be suffering from Pathological Skepticism. How many black swans does it take to prove black swans exist?

It will be fun to watch you back pedaling near the speed of light should Rossi provide the 1 MW plant by the end of the year.
Rossi's dingus is (and has been for months now) on a roll. The resolve of even the most hardcore (and high-stature) nonbelievers, like Ekstrom, is breaking down. Being the first to rigorously validate RossiFusion will bring high acclaim to those who do so. The race is now on for this valuable prize.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The race is now on for this valuable prize.
Second only to the race to explain the physics of the EEStor capacitor.

Or the Joseph Papp noble gas engine.

Or the Steorn invention.

Or the Lester Hendershot "fuelless motor".

Or the Muammer Yildiz Magnetic motor.

I'm especially intrigued by "Stirling motors driven from modified Orgone Accumulators"

I really like: A Long Kept Secret For Generating Free Electricity is Finally On The Open, And You'll Never Have To Pay A Single Dime to the Power Company

How about the Howard Johnson motor:
7/9 - Infinite Energy - But Not For The Masses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkT2GrZUm64
Plus the Stan Meyer cell and others.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Helius wrote:My aged Grandmother spotted your offer over my shoulder... She wants to send you 3 of her next 6 Social Security Checks, but only if you have a signed contract with some non-committal large corporation. Do you have one of those yet? Oh, yea, and her shares need to be exclusive... Only so many aged grandmothers are allowed; the number being related somehow to the number of aged grandmothers whom ask for shares in a very short initial timeframe...

She just sighed up here at Talk-Polywell, so she qualifies. Keep us posted as your research develops!
She needs to cash the checks first, then we'll see. Also, tell her she needs to be a commenter to qualify. Sorry, no contracts with non-committal large corporations yet, but after an exhaustive search of available technologies, I believe I've found the technology I wish to license.
raphael wrote:Ah yes, the "unobtainium" jokes.

Hilarious in the extreme; and, each one better than the last!
To be honest, it was the thought of Greens hopping mad at what practical fusion could enable that inspired the unobtainium idea. Once the starship is fully operational, its first destination will be Alpha Centauri. :wink:
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.