SpaceX News

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

ladajo

Re: SpaceX News

Post by ladajo »

Note that even though they are attempting a controlled touchdown with legs, it is in water, not on dirt.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:Note that even though they are attempting a controlled touchdown with legs, it is in water, not on dirt.
Yepp, it is in water and downrange from the staging point. No RTLS yet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I hope that they get a good video of it and share.
Love to see how it goes.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

ladajo wrote:I hope that they get a good video of it and share.
Love to see how it goes.
Me too. The weather might prevent ships from getting close though (according to Elon Musk). There is still hope that a chase plane will get a picture. Otherwise, there is hope the on board camera will capture video of the splashdown (it did last time). I definitely cant wait for the day when the stage will come back to the launch site. That will be quite the spectacle.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

And just to add some coolness today, SpaceX flew the F9R at McGregor for the first time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... UjWqQPWmsY

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

So very cool.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

They had a perfect launch! Dragon has separated and the solar arrays have been deployed. All looking great! Cant wait to see what they got on the first stage landing attempt!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

So much for the 40% chance of viable launch weather.
Looks like they got "lucky".

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Skipjack wrote:Uhm, this is not Grasshopper 1 and not F9R 1 (Grasshopper 2) either, which is in McGregor right now doing hover tests.
I was speaking figuratively. I had no idea they had already named stuff Grasshopper 1 and 2. The point is they're flying the legs!

I will just point out here, Skippy converted me on the whole Grasshopper gig. If you look back, I originally thought tail landing a rocket was silly but now I think it's just as cool as can be and I'm a huge fan of DC-X as well.

GO ELON!
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

Aero

Post by Aero »

Tweet from Elon: Data upload from tracking plane shows landing in Atlantic was good! Several boats enroute through heavy seas.
Aero

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

"Flight computers continued transmitting for 8 seconds after reaching the water. Stopped when booster went horizontal."
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

SpaceX has scored a very large victory with this mission having succeeded with a controlled "landing." Maybe next mission where the first stage has legs will target a solid surface to land on.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yepp! Awesome work today!

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I think it is very cool that his engines and cost control has added enough boost efficiency to do a controlled touchdown of the first stage.
The savings of getting that kit back is going to be huge.

My only concern is that he is going to be heavily regulated for boost areas and corrosponding touchdown sites. I am thinking coastal only due to abort requirements. That is a big chunk of stuff to go wrong and drop on a town.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I've wondered about that myself. Anyone here know what the surrounds are like at Spaceport America? I think there are now one or two other ports presenting themselves as viable options. One in FL maybe? Any little town within many miles would be cause for concern. Mostly empty tanks rupturing and igniting at touchdown would be very bad. There is so much empty space out in NM though, that I can't help but wonder. After all, they did sell the whole notion of a spaceport based on the idea of it being safe.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis