Room-temperature superconductivity?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Betruger wrote: On one hand you have people like Woodward and March who're only missing concrete evidence to make a huge splash, and on the other you have people like Prins who (apparently, correct if I'm wrong) have concrete evidence but refuse to take an easy (if sideways) entrance to that same unavoidable big splash. Kinda crazy.
Kinda crazy is right!

I think it's wrong to compare Prinz and Woodard.

Woodward is not proposing any new physics. Prinz is telling us all our physics is wrong, and needs to be revised.

Woodward's claims are easier to digest. Prinz's claims aren't really even on the table yet, as he's not been able to divorce his physics from his observations.

IMHO, comparing Prinz with Woodward is fruitless. What we're all talking about is science. Science entails observation, not comparison.

Just saying the obvious: if you have a scientific theory to propose, you need to make your case with experiment and observation.

That's how science works!
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Physicists use offshoot of string theory to describe puzzling behavior of superconductors
http://www.physorg.com/news200224981.html
At the atomic level, cuprates are classified as a "many-body system" — essentially a vast collection of electrons that interact with each other. Such systems are usually described using quantum mechanics. However, so far, physicists have found it difficult to describe cuprates, because their behavior is so different from other materials. Understanding that behavior could help physicists find new materials that superconduct at even higher temperatures. These new materials would have potentially limitless applications.

Unlike most materials, cuprates do not obey Fermi's laws, a set of quantum-mechanics principles that govern microscopic behavior at very low temperatures (close to absolute zero, or -273 degrees Celsius). Instead, cuprates become superconductors. Just above the temperature at which they begin to superconduct, they enter a state called the "strange metal" state.

In this study, the researchers focused on two properties that distinguish those cuprate strange metals from Fermi liquids. In ordinary Fermi liquids, electrical resistivity and the rates of electron scattering (deflection from their original course caused by interactions with each other) are both proportional to the temperature squared. However, in cuprates (and other superconducting non-Fermi liquids), electron scattering and resistivity are proportional to the temperature. "There's really no theory of how to explain that," says Liu.
Johan, can your theory explain that?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

DeltaV wrote:Physicists use offshoot of string theory to describe puzzling behavior of superconductors
http://www.physorg.com/news200224981.html
At the atomic level, cuprates are classified as a "many-body system" — essentially a vast collection of electrons that interact with each other. Such systems are usually described using quantum mechanics. However, so far, physicists have found it difficult to describe cuprates, because their behavior is so different from other materials. Understanding that behavior could help physicists find new materials that superconduct at even higher temperatures. These new materials would have potentially limitless applications.

Unlike most materials, cuprates do not obey Fermi's laws, a set of quantum-mechanics principles that govern microscopic behavior at very low temperatures (close to absolute zero, or -273 degrees Celsius). Instead, cuprates become superconductors. Just above the temperature at which they begin to superconduct, they enter a state called the "strange metal" state.

In this study, the researchers focused on two properties that distinguish those cuprate strange metals from Fermi liquids. In ordinary Fermi liquids, electrical resistivity and the rates of electron scattering (deflection from their original course caused by interactions with each other) are both proportional to the temperature squared. However, in cuprates (and other superconducting non-Fermi liquids), electron scattering and resistivity are proportional to the temperature. "There's really no theory of how to explain that," says Liu.
Johan, can your theory explain that?
And since the temperature behavior is affected by magnetic fields you have to include that.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

icarus

Post by icarus »

As far as I understand it, Dr. Prins will be more than forthcoming if you can come up with $120,000 immediately (to cover the money his relatives and friends have sunk into the endeavour so far) and follow-up support of his work in a well equipped laboratory.

He is a businessman and doesn't seem to have much interest in sharing his results or theories in the spirit of open-enquiry science. That is his choice, but he seems to be good at confusing the boundary between the two realms.

It is best people understand this before getting sucked into an endlessly twisting, turning, but ultimately frustrating, striptease of results/theories.
Last edited by icarus on Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

GIThruster wrote: I think it's wrong to compare Prinz and Woodard.
The situations being flip sides of each other, not the people involved.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

DeltaV wrote:Johan,

1) A brief detour from the current topic: Are you familiar with the work of Mendel Sachs? http://www.compukol.com/mendel/
Amazing that I have missed this: But this has probably again happened as a result of the closed-minded censorship of the cranks in charge of our modern physics church. I could only quickly scan what this guy has written and it seems to dovetail with what I have written in my forthcoming book. The fact is that quantum physics went wrong when the Copenhagen group ignored the significance of inertia and the definition of mass. Inertia and mass, which is what an electron MUST have, demand that the there can be no uncertainty in the position and momentum of the centre-of-mass of an electron. By assuming that uncertainties can manifest, Heisenberg threw gravity out of the window. Now the quantum-field theorists are VERY surprised that they cannot reconcile QM and gravity. In fact, once you throw out the concepts of "uncertainty", "probability-amplitudes" and "complementarity", Einstein's gravity jumps out into your face from Schroedinger's equation.
2) Back to the current topic. Referring to the incomplete Newton's cradle analogy... is it possible to come up with a brief, visual, layman's explanation using only analogies with classical, macroscopic concepts (ball bearings, flexible membranes or whatever)? That is, start with kindergarten and work your way towards college, instead of vice versa. People can then jump off the pedagogical wagon when they feel they've reached their limit, yet still retain some concept of what your theory is about. I'd say at least 4-5 levels, the first one understandable by janitors, Congress critters*, news reporters, etc. Assume no knowledge of quantum physics, phases, etc. until higher levels are reached. This is a popularization-hence-funding strategy used quite often in the public realm for all sorts of research.
To do it totally in terms of a classical analogy is difficult since the ability of a matter-wave to borrow energy for a time interval and then lose it again is completely a quantum-mechanical effect. It is like an Angel giving the matter-wave an amount of energy to use within a limited time interval and then taking this energy back.

Consider now the following analogy: A Chinese Checkers board, all the dents filled with marbles, and little Angels flying above the board which can give a marble energy to lift out of its dent and move to the position of the next marble. It then has to give this energy back. The little Angels can then give energy to the next marble so that it vacates its dent and allows the arriving marble to replace it. Every time the energy expended by the movement of the marble comes from the Angels and is given back to them. This is analogous to "vacuum energy" but DOES NOT in any manner relate to the "vacuum energy" which supposedly exists according to quantum field theory. The energy is in fact part of the energy of the matter wave which cannot manifest permanently, only sporadically, within our three-dimensional space.

Now to generate a current "through" the array of marbles you start off to inject marbles from outside into the array. Consider a single injected marble: There is, however, not a dent available to put the marble into. But a little Angel obligingly gives enough energy to the nearest marble at the point of injection of the external marble, so that it vacates its dent and allows the external marble to replace it. The replaced marble now has energy to move to the next site, where the Angel now gives energy to the resident marble at this sight to allow the arriving marble to fill the dent. The Angel then gives energy to the new replaced marble to move to the next site etc.

In this manner a marble reaches the other side without any energy increase or decrease in the total "phase" constituted by the array marbles. What is important to notice is that the superconducting "phase" keeps its total energy while the Angels juggle the extra marbles which would have required an increase in the "phase's" energy if they became an integral part of the phase; This would disrupt the "phase" The array of marbles thus remains a "phase" which is separate from the moving marbles. That is why it cannot lose energy. If the superconducting "phase" has to accomadate the injected charge-carriers as part of the "phase" its energy will have to increase and energy dissipation will then become possible. I hope this is of help?

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

GIThruster wrote: it's because he's gotten weighed down in explanations that for ten years, no one has examined the claims in depth.
This is a blatant lie and take severe exeption to it.

I discovered in 2000 that a "material" (if you do not want to call it a phase; which it really is) forms from electrons between an n-type diamond surface and an anode when these electrons are extracted from the diamond. From impeccable electronic interface physics it can be proved that when a equilibrium thermodynamic state is reached, there IS NO, AND CANNOT BE an electric field between the diamond's surface and the anode. This proof folows from SIMPLE fisrt year physics; which any of my students could understand before reaching second year.

Experimentally I then found that after equilibrium is reached an equilibrium current keeps on flowing around the circuit: Thus PROVING without ANY doubt that charge is transferred from the diamond to the anode while there is NO electric-field present. It is THE FIRST experiment in the history of science that proves WITHOUT ANY DOUBT that charge can be transferred through a material while the electric field within the material IS ZERO. This has NEVER been proved for any other material EVER.

The PROOF rests on simple elementary physics and is self-evident: But suddenly the "experts" could not, or are not willing to, understand this physics; which is used every day to model and design electronic chips. If they were able to follow elementary physics, I would NOT have spent all my time to find the faults in the accepted mainstream dogma. How else can I defend myself against a barrage of nonsensical physics (from people who cannot even follow first year physics) without getting "bogged down in explanations." I had to do it since the "experts" on superconduction are incapable of understanding simple solid state electronic devices.

It is amazing that this is so since their chief Guru who led them up the garden path is John Bardeen who together with Schottky received the Nobel Prize for discovering the transistor. Maybe there is some thruth in the rumour that Schottky considered Bardeen to be incompetent?

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

Betruger wrote:On one hand you have people like Woodward and March who're only missing concrete evidence to make a huge splash, and on the other you have people like Prins who (apparently, correct if I'm wrong) have concrete evidence but refuse to take an easy (if sideways) entrance to that same unavoidable big splash. Kinda crazy.
Excuse my ignorance: Who are Woodward and March?
I am not refusing to "take an easy entrance". I have already published in 2003 how a superconducting phase forms from electrons being extracted from a diamond by an anode. The proof that the electric field MUST be zero is the best proof EVER presented for ANY superconductor; and it is in terms of physics which ANY first year student can comprehend. What more can I do if the experts on superconduction cannot, or do not want to, understand this incontestable physics; but challenges me to prove by direct experimental measurement that the electric field is zero. The latter has NEVER been done FOR ANY superconductor because it is impossible to measure zero voltage directly. If they cannot even understand this simple fact, they should not be doing physics at all.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

icarus wrote: He is a businessman and doesn't seem to have much interest in sharing his results or theories in the spirit of open-enquiry science.
Not true. If I were not willing to share my theories in the spirit of open enquiry in science, I would NOT be writing my forthcoming book.
That is his choice, but he seems to be good at confusing the boundary between the two realms.
Where have I confused the boundaries? A full description of my results on the formation of a superconducting phase when extracting electrons has been in the public domain since 2003. A full description of the actual mechanism for superconducting materials have been on my website for years and will be again published in my forthcoming book using much simpler language (I hope).

Like GIThruster you are accusing me falsely and unfairly. Why are you guys doing this to me? The only information I am withholding is what must be done to a suitable material so that it becomes superconducting at room temperature. The presently known materials cannot be modified to achieve this, and the modification cannot be derived directly from the mechanism for superconduction. It is a NEW discovery!
It is best people understand this before getting sucked into an endlessly twisting, turning, but ultimately frustrating, striptease of results/theories.
Again a blatant lie!

EricF

Post by EricF »

johanfprins wrote:
Betruger wrote:On one hand you have people like Woodward and March who're only missing concrete evidence to make a huge splash, and on the other you have people like Prins who (apparently, correct if I'm wrong) have concrete evidence but refuse to take an easy (if sideways) entrance to that same unavoidable big splash. Kinda crazy.
Excuse my ignorance: Who are Woodward and March?
I am not refusing to "take an easy entrance". I have already published in 2003 how a superconducting phase forms from electrons being extracted from a diamond by an anode. The proof that the electric field MUST be zero is the best proof EVER presented for ANY superconductor; and it is in terms of physics which ANY first year student can comprehend. What more can I do if the experts on superconduction cannot, or do not want to, understand this incontestable physics; but challenges me to prove by direct experimental measurement that the electric field is zero. The latter has NEVER been done FOR ANY superconductor because it is impossible to measure zero voltage directly. If they cannot even understand this simple fact, they should not be doing physics at all.
If it is measureable results that they crave so badly, would it be possible to set up some sort of a demonstration/experiment using a 'control' example having a common conductor, like copper wire, to contrast to the increase in efficiency that the superconductor would provide? Something as simple as lighting a lightbulb from identical batteries and seeing how much sooner the copper conductor's bulb goes than the superconductor?

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

Giorgio wrote: If we want to skip the resistivity at all, we can say that it must satisfy the following criteria: P=VI=0
After having slept on it I must congratulate you. This is the best definition of superconduction I have seen to date. It immediately leads to the fact that V=0 and that there can thus be no electric-field accelerating the charge-carriers.
Another way to define superconduction might be as follows: The propulsion of charge-carriers through a material, by a phase of the material, without generating entropy.
Last edited by johanfprins on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

EricF wrote: If it is measureable results that they crave so badly, would it be possible to set up some sort of a demonstration/experiment using a 'control' example having a common conductor, like copper wire, to contrast to the increase in efficiency that the superconductor would provide? Something as simple as lighting a lightbulb from identical batteries and seeing how much sooner the copper conductor's bulb goes than the superconductor?
There are many extra experiments I can consider doing, but it is not possible to do them without a well equipped laboratory and on my pension money. I have been trying for years to obtain sponsorship, but every time I find a possible Angel, he/she contacts the "experts" who informs him/her that I am a crank.

I can unfortunately not understand how your proposed lightbulb experiment can be of any use. Another problem when comparing materials is to take contact-effects into account. It is not as easy to make contacts to a room temperature superconductor as it is to copper.

There are many cases in physics where a direct measurement is not possible. One is then led by related physics and self-consistency. In fact it is in this manner how Onnes argued that the voltage he measured over superconducting mercury must be zero. There has NEVER been direct experimental evidence that it is really so. My experimental results are more self-consistent than the results ever measured for any other superconductor; since if the logic that proves that the electric field is zero is NOT correct we would NOT have had transistor-action and digital electronics today..

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

johanfprins wrote:
Giorgio wrote: If we want to skip the resistivity at all, we can say that it must satisfy the following criteria: P=VI=0
After having slept on it I must congratulate you. This is the best definition of superconduction I have seen to date. It immediately leads to the fact that V=0 and that there can thus be no electric-field accelerating the charge-carriers.
Another way to define superconduction might be as follows: The propulsion of charge-carriers through a material, by a phase of the material, without generating entropy.
I believe that both definitions are more than fine and can be generally accepted by everyone. We now have a common base on which you can develop those posts for your theory and related experiments as TallDave suggested.

I am eager to read them.

johanfprins

Post by johanfprins »

Giorgio wrote: I believe that both definitions are more than fine and can be generally accepted by everyone. We now have a common base on which you can develop those posts for your theory and related experiments as TallDave suggested.
I am eager to read them.
Great! I will start on it right away. But be a bit patient as I am also working hard to get my book "print-ready".