Zero point energy, hu?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

One hundred watts from such a cube would tax materials science
uhhhhm, lightbulb?
I do get what you are saying though, 2000 watts seemed a bit much for me as well, considering the scale.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Skipjack wrote:
uhhhhm, lightbulb?
I do get what you are saying though, 2000 watts seemed a bit much for me as well, considering the scale.
A 100 W light bulb is bigger than a sugar cube.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

gblaze42

Post by gblaze42 »

MSimon wrote:
Skipjack wrote:
uhhhhm, lightbulb?
Not the one pound cube I use in my coffee.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

gblaze42 wrote:
MSimon wrote:
Skipjack wrote: uhhhhm, lightbulb?
Not the one pound cube I use in my coffee.
I'm a black man, myself.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

That depends on the lightbulb....
Some high intensity halogen bulbs, as used in photo or filmstudios can be about the same size as a sugarcube, even smaller...
Just thinking out loud.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

“ If the Zero Point energy is invested in the structure of the universe as we know it, what happens if someone manages to extract some? “

To tap the lowest energy state is impossible.
There is ideas abut the dark energy as a pressure of the (quantum ether) hence ZPE.
If so the ZPE make some works on the universe and there is an energy flow theoretical possible to tap. To tap this energy would slow down the expansion of universe.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Torulf2 wrote:“ If the Zero Point energy is invested in the structure of the universe as we know it, what happens if someone manages to extract some? “

There is ideas abut the dark energy as a pressure of the (quantum ether) hence ZPE.
If so the ZPE make some works on the universe and there is an energy flow theoretical possible to tap. To tap this energy would slow down the expansion of universe.
So.... When they build their Sugar cube device, they can test to see how much energy is produces by .... the diminishing red shift of distant galaxies! :wink:

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Would the galactic implosion signal travel at the speed of light or would we find out about it a whole lot sooner?

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

MSimon wrote:I'm a black man, myself.
Double entendre?
KitemanSA wrote:Would the galactic implosion signal travel at the speed of light or would we find out about it a whole lot sooner?
Depends. Is this an implosion of matter and energy within space, or are we talking about an implosion of space itself? No speed limit for spacetime proper.

Duane
Vae Victis

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

djolds1 wrote:
MSimon wrote:I'm a black man, myself.
Double entendre?

Duane
Single.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Shhh, Al Gore will hear you.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

Al Gore? Oh in this case CPE is the same as dark energy. It sounds not good.

Maybe billions of billions advanced civilisations in the future use dark energy. And this screw up the calculations of the future of the universe.
Environmentalists demand we should go back to primitive fusion power.
But it may save us from the big rip.
An idea for a sf story?

IntLibber

Post by IntLibber »

Torulf2 wrote:“ If the Zero Point energy is invested in the structure of the universe as we know it, what happens if someone manages to extract some? “

The point is however that quantum instability always causes these spurious positive and negative charges, and matter/antimatter pairs, that jump out of the lowest energy state. Black holes are able to separate them before they recombine at their event horizon, which is the source of Hawking Radiation. So technically, a black hole is a ZPE device (ergo, not completely impossible). The trick is to make a device we can handle that does a similar thing.

A Casimir Torque Generator may be one such device.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

IntLibber wrote:The point is however that quantum instability always causes these spurious positive and negative charges, and matter/antimatter pairs, that jump out of the lowest energy state. Black holes are able to separate them before they recombine at their event horizon, which is the source of Hawking Radiation. So technically, a black hole is a ZPE device (ergo, not completely impossible). The trick is to make a device we can handle that does a similar thing.
I remember that chapter from 'a Brief History of Time'. The energy released in Hawking Radiation comes from the mass of the black hole itself, thus not depleting any ZPE background.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

[/quote]I remember that chapter from 'a Brief History of Time'. The energy released in Hawking Radiation comes from the mass of the black hole itself, thus not depleting any ZPE background.[/quote]

That has always confused me. If a virtual particle pair jumped into existance at the event horizon, so that one was slightly inside the horizon and was traped, while the other was slighltly outside and escaped, then the mass outside the black hole in the universe in general would increase. But, so would the mass of the black hole (it captured one of the two particles), so why would this be stealing mass from the black hole? The mass/ energy would be coming from the vacuum energy and be feeding the black hole and 'normal' space equally.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.