Reactor Dome blown away.

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

choff

Post by choff »

Found this tidbit from the Guardian.

The 23 nuclear plants of the same model in the US have just four-hour battery reserves, according to UCS's Ed Lyman.

And now the (relatively) good news. Lyman notes that the spent fuel pools, which were located above the reactors, may indeed have been compromised. "They have may suffered some structural integrity damage," he said. That raises the risk of an explosion, and possible radiation leak, from the pools if technicans are unable to restore cooling systems.

But Lyman added: "The inventory of spent fuels in the pools was well below capacity. That could limit potential impact if there was a loss of coolant to the pools."
CHoff

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

AcesHigh wrote:that China syndrome story is the biggest nonsense I ever heard. Why would molten radiactive material cross the entire Earth,
Me thinkest thou doth misunderstand the "China Syndrome". No one but an idiot believes that the core matterial will REACH China! Merely that is will head off "toward" China, in the American vernacular that China is"straight down". The problem is that on the way "straight down" it will put nasty things into the environment (read aquafers, etc.). Of course, the final containment structure is SUPPOSED to prevent that from happening.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Guys, slow down.

If you want some detail on the internal structures and issues PM me, and I'll send you a Power Point (2007) file.

They do have fuel pools in the upper level of the building. They are used when doing fuel transfer operations, when the plant is in maintenance layup.

The buildings are concrete and steel re-enforced containments.

These plants are BWR Mark I designs. Units 2 & 3 were up power versions with Unit 3 burning MOX fuel.

There are many H2 gas controls included in plant designs, however, the old designs (Mark I) have less controls.

The Japanese are staying relatively mum on the post blast containment inspections. So far they are having (go figure) difficulty accessing the structures, and are relying on stand off visual as well as intrumentation. However, that said, Unit 2 is reported with damage to the Containment (Suppression Pool is part of the Containment Structure) via instrumentation, and Unit 3 from photos is significant damage.

These three units share the Mark I Containment design.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BWR_M ... utaway.jpg

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Oh, almost forgot. TMI-2 Reactor Vessel and the Core (what was left that is) were removed from the plant, and transported to Idaho for post accident analysis and subsequent disposal storage. Some other components were stripped from the plant for analysis and disposal storage as well. The rest of the plant was entombed.

The Japanese are going to be faced with the same choice. Remove the Vessels, or entomb. I think they will eventually remove the Vessels like we did. No reason not to, other than not at all easy to do.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

KitemanSA wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:that China syndrome story is the biggest nonsense I ever heard. Why would molten radiactive material cross the entire Earth,
Me thinkest thou doth misunderstand the "China Syndrome". No one but an idiot believes that the core matterial will REACH China! Merely that is will head off "toward" China, in the American vernacular that China is"straight down". The problem is that on the way "straight down" it will put nasty things into the environment (read aquafers, etc.). Of course, the final containment structure is SUPPOSED to prevent that from happening.
believe me, there are plenty of idiots, who take it literally. I already saw them talking about China syndrome literally, 3 times, in the last two days. (not here)

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

Jane Fonda was more serious in Barbabella than in the China syndrome.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I liked the plastic outfits, they were way serious.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/f ... 011_dg.jpg

Steam from Unit 3 would seem to indicate Containment failure.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Update from DigitalGlobe, but still no post explosion imagery for Unit 2.

http://www.digitalglobe.com/downloads/D ... ch2011.pdf

choff

Post by choff »

There's been a report of a fire at reactor 4
CHoff

choff

Post by choff »

Found more on the spent fuel rod pools.

http://www.thenation.com/article/159234 ... ave-danger
CHoff

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Choff, that paper is clearly showing its anit nuclear agenda. Whatever they say should be taken with a grain of salt.

choff

Post by choff »

I hope you're right!
CHoff

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

Skipjack wrote:Choff, that paper is clearly showing its anit nuclear agenda. Whatever they say should be taken with a grain of salt.
as well as sites, blogs and papers with a pro nuclear agenda, should also be taken with a grain of salt.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Skipjack wrote:Choff, that paper is clearly showing its anit nuclear agenda. Whatever they say should be taken with a grain of salt.
Actually, look more like an "anti stupid" bias. There are certain things in the nuclear industry that are just plain STUPID. Not having back-up syustems on "temporary" storage is one of them. Expecially when "temporary" is 40 to 60 years... or longer.

I am about as pro-nuke as it can be, but even I can be anti STUPID nuke. This style plant is STUPID nuke.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Sounds reactors 5 and 6 are having "issues" now also.

I think fission energy may have shot its bolt well and truly with this disaster.

Poor engineering, poor operations, poor crisis management, bad governance and unfortunate extreme event.