NIF project status

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Didn't anyone read the article?
Because the laser is on for the merest fraction of a second, it costs little to operate -- between $5 and $20 per blast,
It's pretty obvious they must be aiming the laser at an ultradense pellet comprised of the billions of dollars appropriated for NIF.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

DeltaV

Post by DeltaV »

Money to burn.

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

It's that time again:

July status update

News includes the 522.6 TW shot fired on July 5, that was widely covered in the media, a 1.9 MJ shot fired on July 3, experiments studying hydrodynamic instability in thicker DT capsules, and some direct-drive experiments.

It looks like LLNL took note of various commenters' confusion and answered the question of what the 522.6 TW shot was fired at:
The target was a depleted uranium hohlraum containing a cryogenic symmetry capsule (symcap) with a thicker (215-micron vs. 195-micron) capsule ablator containing 4 percent silicon.
I believe that means they were firing at a blank.
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

A really expensive blank.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

ladajo wrote:A really expensive blank.
I don't know "how expensive" the depleted uranium would be . Tons of it are slapped onto Abrams tanks. It may actually be cheaper that the gold that I believe is the standard material for hohlraums.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Not anymore.

As for cheap, it is not always about the material, it is always about the labor and process.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)