NASA Starts WARP Drive Experiments

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

Wormholes are useful if they actually "punch through" when generated. If not, you still have to transport the other end by conventional means to your destination while keeping the wormhole generator on the entire time, a rather dubious prospect to me.

In theory, a wormhole should punch through. However, how do you set the location where you want the wormhole to open up at?

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

kurt9 wrote:Wormholes are useful if they actually "punch through" when generated. If not, you still have to transport the other end by conventional means to your destination while keeping the wormhole generator on the entire time, a rather dubious prospect to me.

In theory, a wormhole should punch through. However, how do you set the location where you want the wormhole to open up at?
I always figured the direction of punch through vector would be a perpendicular vector originating at the center of the plain of the wormhole mouth. As for the distance traveled, I also figured it would be related to frequency of generation and/or energy, but obviously I have no backing for this currently. The downside to this is that you have to be absolutely precise with the angle of generation/plain otherwise you could end up pretty far off course.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

If you can shoot one end of a wormhole to the destination at near light speed, you don't have to wait so long for it to get there as seen through the end you keep at home. Time dilation can work in your favor. It has been proposed that the remote end can then be slowed by shooting reaction mass through the wormhole.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Of course the fact that the far end is aiming at a point in relative motion. Talk about computing power! To be able to have accurate motion predictions of objects/stuff for a point in space 100 or 1000LYs away.
Would really suck if you were aiming for a solar system way off and opened up in the sun or something.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

hanelyp wrote:If you can shoot one end of a wormhole to the destination at near light speed, you don't have to wait so long for it to get there as seen through the end you keep at home. Time dilation can work in your favor. It has been proposed that the remote end can then be slowed by shooting reaction mass through the wormhole.
But that would also mean that when you go through the wormhole, you're in the future. Which means you've made a time machine.

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

GeeGee wrote:
hanelyp wrote:If you can shoot one end of a wormhole to the destination at near light speed, you don't have to wait so long for it to get there as seen through the end you keep at home. Time dilation can work in your favor. It has been proposed that the remote end can then be slowed by shooting reaction mass through the wormhole.
But that would also mean that when you go through the wormhole, you're in the future. Which means you've made a time machine.

according to many physicists, ANY travel faster than light, through warp drives or wormholes, involves time travel.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

GeeGee wrote:But that would also mean that when you go through the wormhole, you're in the future. Which means you've made a time machine.
Only a problem if you can influence your past. Which could be done if 2 such wormholes passed each other going opposite directions, or the traveling end of the wormhole makes a round trip. The chronology protection conjecture, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology ... conjecture , suggests that trying to do that would collapse the wormhole.