The race is on Polywell vs ITER

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

PolyGirl

The race is on Polywell vs ITER

Post by PolyGirl »

After the recent headlines about the problems with ITER there is an article, albeit only one at the moment (I have not searched for similiar ones) ITER will be built by 2018

Give the current news about Polywell WB-8 Testing Pre-solitication news article and assuming that the work for this started around the beginning of the year 2009. Then if and only if Polywell works then it will be all over by 2010 (maybe 2011) at the latest.

In other words "Polywell leads by a nose"

Regards
Polywell
The more I know, the less I know.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Most significant is that the Navy calls Polywell "Applied Research".

Which says the science is more or less proved.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Dr Nebel stated that we will know in 18 months to 2 years. So one way or another the race will be over before ITER reaches the starting gate.
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

MSimon wrote:Most significant is that the Navy calls Polywell "Applied Research".
So they say ...

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

scareduck wrote:
MSimon wrote:Most significant is that the Navy calls Polywell "Applied Research".
So they say ...
Is it some kind of contract or money dodge?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:
scareduck wrote:
So they say ...
It may just mean that the amount of money spent to build or buy things exceeeds a low percentage of the total contract amount. I forget what the percentages are to go from 6.0 to 6.1 to 6.2 research, but there are cut-offs and such. None of it indicates that the science is done, merely that no more can be done without building more that a minimum amount of stuff and testing it.

tomclarke

Post by tomclarke »

If Polywell WB-8 results are positive it means that very likely Polywell fusion will be feasible, and the problems are engineering. Because of the smaller scale the engineering is cheaper and quicker to build than ITER. But still there is engineering to sort out, a lot of it.

So in two years time Polywell may be where ITER is now. Science proved and awaiting proof of concept engineering.

Best wishes, Tom

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

tomclarke wrote:If Polywell WB-8 results are positive it means that very likely Polywell fusion will be feasible, and the problems are engineering. Because of the smaller scale the engineering is cheaper and quicker to build than ITER. But still there is engineering to sort out, a lot of it.

So in two years time Polywell may be where ITER is now. Science proved and awaiting proof of concept engineering.

Best wishes, Tom
I sincerely hope that in two years Polywell is not where ITER is now. i.e. on the verge of collapse.

I hear rumblings that the US Congress (having pulled out of ITER once before) is very unhappy with the current state of affairs. If the lawyers in the American Congress pull the plug there is going to be a collapse of the DOE fusion effort which for the most part was designed to support ITER.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: I hear rumblings that the US Congress (having pulled out of ITER once before) is very unhappy with the current state of affairs. If the lawyers in the American Congress pull the plug there is going to be a collapse of the DOE fusion effort which for the most part was designed to support ITER.
Should one dare to hope?

Sorry Art, I know you think ITER is the way to go. And in truth, unless a good deal of the "savings" are directed at other such energy technologies, I wouldn't want it eliminated either.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

The idea of a polywell vs ITER race immediately caused me to imagine a fat elephant with no legs up against a dwarf on a penny farthing, sitting there at the start line long after the starter klaxon.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote:
scareduck wrote:
So they say ...
I suspect it's because they've been funding the donkey for 20 years, so if those that want more funding roll up to the purser and ask for a cheque for a 21st year of 'elementary research' they'll get told sharpish where to stow their cash requisition.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

chrismb wrote:The idea of a polywell vs ITER race immediately caused me to imagine a fat elephant with no legs up against a dwarf on a penny farthing, sitting there at the start line long after the starter klaxon.
Heh. And we blind men still can't agree on what the hell this thing is.

But soon the legless elephant will start rolling downhill, crushing competitors under its bulk (though he stands no chance of rolling up again to the finish line at the top of the next hill). Even now, he begins to rock back and forth...

rcain

Post by rcain »

Betamax anyone? DC grid perhaps? I'm sure we'll all get along just fine, so long someone gets to market.... quickly as you like ;)

(ps by welcome contrast Unix/open-source is still doing just fine - bucking the trend/skewed game).

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

rcain wrote:Betamax anyone? DC grid perhaps? I'm sure we'll all get along just fine, so long someone gets to market.... quickly as you like ;)
(ps by welcome contrast Unix/open-source is still doing just fine - bucking the trend/skewed game).
Hardly a similar scenario. Polywell/ITER is more like when caveman was trying to decide between triangular or star-shaped wheels, and had to wait several thousand years for someone to invent the circle.

(D'you like my little bit of 'instant' philosophy - was the circle, as a shape, 'invented' or 'discovered', and if the latter where was it before it was first 'found'? The invention of the 'notion of a circle' had to come before the wheel.....)