More Helion Energy news....

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: More Helion Energy news....

Post by Skipjack »

Trenta has been updated with a new divertor:
https://twitter.com/Helion_Energy/statu ... 6590249984
Trenta is firing again after making upgrades to our second divertor! Back to testing the efficiency and reliability of our systems.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It is great that the fusion companies are making their breakthrough work progress, but achieving Q>X is not the issue of the moment. Instead, the issue is that Utilities, their Regulatory Commissions, and Institutional Investors think that fusion is too far in the future to matter, and therefore are moving ahead WITHOUT FUSION.

The fusion companies do not seem to understand that the super tanker is leaving and does not turn around if you arrive at the dock 10 minutes late.

What to do? Answer: Treat Utilities, their Regulatory Commissions, and Institutional Investors as if they are partners and educate them NOW, not later once Q>X is 'Proven'.

Decisions are being made now, these decisions are this Super Tanker I am referring to is leaving the port without Fusion.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Here is an example of my point. Helion, TAE, General Fusion, Zap Energy were not even mentioned, just ITER & JET.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ4W1g-6JiY

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I will watch that video later, when I have more time. In case of Helion, I think they are planning to operate their own machines and just sell the power, rather than building them for the utilities.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I second you critique that this video only focuses on JET, ITER and NIF. No mentioning of the fusion startups :(
I fear that they won't be taken seriously until one of them at least announces notional break even.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I think they are planning to operate their own machines and just sell the power, rather than building them for the utilities.
Helion could do that given the size of their machine and that they do not need a steam cycle front end to convert heat to electric power. There would be potentially more money in it. More up front capital though.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Skipjack wrote;
Helion are invited speakers and had their presentation accepted, but have not received a scheduling
I had a look on the web page of the 63rd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics, but still there is no contribution from Helion Energy there? It is still a bit more than a month until the conference, but I would expect all invited presentations to be listed there by now.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

I am surprised and confused by this as well. I don't think that David knows what is going on either. Last time we talked, he suspected that the list was just not complete yet.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Polaris is making progress:

https://twitter.com/Helion_Energy/statu ... 14/photo/1
The foundation that will support Polaris is in! Now installing water and electrical.
PolarisFoundation_small.jpg
PolarisFoundation_small.jpg (248.8 KiB) Viewed 4375 times

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Nice to see rapid progress on the Polaris construction site.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Skipjack wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:52 am
I am surprised and confused by this as well. I don't think that David knows what is going on either. Last time we talked, he suspected that the list was just not complete yet.
Do you know if there will be a Helion Energy contribution to this years conference? I can still not find anything related to Helion Energy on the website ...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

There were some scheduling issues with APS which unfortunately screwed things up for Helion.
So they will present both of their latest papers at the IEEE SOFE conference in December instead of just the one they had originally planned for.
Sucks for us too, because now we have to wait a month longer...

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Helion is looking ahead towards licensing and regulation:
https://news.bloomberglaw.com/business- ... top-lawyer

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Hogan Lovells is one of several law firms that have been retained by Helion as it seeks to expand its operations.

Cooley is doing corporate and real estate work for the company, while Smith Baluch and Dorsey & Whitney are handling intellectual property matters, Steinmetz said.
They must be pretty confident of success to be bringing in the lawyers.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

This is interesting. A separate page for potential employees concerning the benefits of working for Helion. Some of the pages allow you to scroll down:
https://helionenergy.foleon.com/careers ... n-careers/