Mach Effect progress

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

krenshala wrote:He'd probably still be arguing with Gallileo given the option ...
Why doubt he does, it'd be like singing in the shower for him...
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

"If you look at the peer review community, you see the precise opposite--legitimate participants who are held to accounts for their claims and criticisms don't make these unsubstantiated complaints"

Cough. Global Warming. Cough. Margarine is great for you, eggs are bad. Cough.

"Please act like an adult."

That's rich coming from someone who's emotionally an infant, as your justifications for your approach to drug prohibition make clear. Yours is exactly as ethical as this:

You got hurt by someone playing with a football. Lots of other people get hurt playing with a football. It doesn't matter how many people play footbal and don't get hurt, you want to prohibit football with SAWT teams and life sentences, constitution be damned.

And Aceshigh characterized your hyperbolic at best statements about Paul March quite accurately.
molon labe
montani semper liberi

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

GIThruster,

Do you know if Dr. Woodward is going to include a chapter on criticism in his upcoming book?

I don't think that would be a bad idea, especially since you can't find a formal response to more recent claims of thermodynamic violations (and other criticisms made by Sarfatti and Zielenski on the distribution list).

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

I've read all of the chapters in Jim's upcoming book and can say there is no accommodation for criticism.

If the critics want to have at, they need to do so in the peer reviewed journals. All other misinformed criticisms will likely be ignored--as should be.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

TDPerk wrote: That's rich coming from someone who's emotionally an infant, as your justifications for your approach to drug prohibition make clear.
I hope there is no one in this forum childish enough to judge the work of Jim Woodward, based upon my own objections to drug abuse.

Please, please, please, lets not drag the druggie agenda into this discussion?
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

TDPerk

Post by TDPerk »

GIThruster, I certainly do not judge the M-E concept on the basis of your mewlings, I'm judging you.

And "druggie" has nothing to do with it, it's wanting respect for the constitution and the real rule of law, not arbitrary men. Of course, you will imagine no better than you are able.
molon labe
montani semper liberi

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

A lot of crap passes peer review, and is pickecd up after publishing as crap and retracted.

Peer review looks mostly at form, was the experiment attempted scientifically, was the mathematics properly formulated?
It often does not go into the question of whether the experiment was sound, or whether the mathematics was sensible.

And, of course, different journals peer review to different standards.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

AcesHigh

Post by AcesHigh »

GIThruster wrote: And Aces, get a grip! Brian who runs NBF is on Jim's email distribution. He doesn't need to be pushed into making premature web releases.

Please act like an adult.
1 - How am I supposed that Brian is at Jim´s email distribution?
2 - Brian probably subscribes to DOZENS of different email distribution lists.
3 - NBF several times published information directly posted at Talk Polywell, or even if it was posted at the email distribution, still, the info posted at NBF came from Talk Polywell or NASA Spaceflight Forums
4 - Brian posted the info a couple of hours after I emailed him. Then later at the same day, he edited his post about Mach Effect for a much lenghtier version. Its seems quite obvious Brian has no time to carefully check all the info from all his email lists, and things escape him from time to time.

Thus, after I alerted him, he came to Talk Polywell and basically posted Paul March´s info that was posted here.

THEN, later, he sorted through all the info at Jim´s email distribution, sorted all the relevant info, and posted it at NBF.

I Won´t comment on the "act like an adult" part of your post, specially because I suppose your personal attack was more related to my response regarding your accusations against Paul March and Sonny than emailing Brian from NBF propper. So let others judge who needs to act like an adult.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

WizWom wrote:A lot of crap passes peer review, and is pickecd up after publishing as crap and retracted.
None of this has been retracted.

http://libra.msra.cn/PublicationList?sr ... D=52679069

WizWom

Post by WizWom »

GIThruster wrote:
WizWom wrote:A lot of crap passes peer review, and is pickecd up after publishing as crap and retracted.

He's also, as you should note, not cited much. He's a fringe worker, working on a rather wild theory.
Wandering Kernel of Happiness

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Well you're just gonna have one complaint after another until you find one that sticks, aren't you?

And yet you still have no apprehension whatsoever of what Woodward's theory entails, how it has developed, who has reviewed it over how many years, how the theory has been tested in the lab, what are the protocols, what are the methods and controls, who has evaluated his technique, who has been in the lab and seen how and why this all works. . .

I have no idea how often he's been cited over the years and neither do you. That list includes only the older works published at Foundations of Physics. He's published more than 4 times that many professional works.

Seriously, Jim is a humble guy. If he has any idea how often he's been cited over the last 3 decades, he's not the type would say in any sort of conversation.

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

WizWom wrote:
GIThruster wrote:

He's also, as you should note, not cited much. He's a fringe worker, working on a rather wild theory.
Woodward's experimental technique is first rate. Anyone who has been on the email list can clearly see this.

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

GIThruster wrote:I've read all of the chapters in Jim's upcoming book and can say there is no accommodation for criticism.
I see. Does he at least mention the thermodynamic issues that have been brought up and how they relate to W/F absorber theory?

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

No, he doesn't. He gives attention to absorber theory as this is key, but the simplistic complaints about conservation are not worth addressing.

It's important to note again, that there are things that pop up on the blogs, written by people who want to seem all clever--like GoatGuy--that never pop up amongst physicists because they're just not worthy. It should be obvious that people like Goat-Guy are never going to be satisfied. They're never going to change their mind and there's just no point addressing the issue.

The conservation issue is very easily addressed by noting M-E devices are gravinertial transistors, that are controlling the flow of gravinertial flux. They therefore seem to violate conservation in the same way a sail does if you neglect to consider the contribution of the wind. Past that, most people of common sense don't waste their time.

It should be obvious that people like Goat-Guy make the complaints they do for entirely self-interested reasons. He has had the issue explained to him six ways from Sunday and continues to push that there's a conservation issue. This is because he is posting, not to form a consensus, or to teach, or to have his real questions answered, but because it suits his ego. Such people should be ignored, not pandered to.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Those of you in the Atlanta area may be interested that Jim Woodward will be presenting at the AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference:

https://www.aiaa.org/JPC2012/

I don't know which day yet but if you're close, you might just walk in for the one presentation. The conference fees are astronomical.