Tri Alpha Gets $50 million

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Tri Alpha Gets $50 million

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

IntLibber

Re: Tri Alpha Gets $50 million

Post by IntLibber »

"We will know in two years or less".... actually Nebel said that over a year ago... his time is ticking...

Aero

Post by Aero »

The Tri Alpha Energy device combines a Migma ion beam collider with a Field-Reversed Configuration in order to increase ion density
That according to Wikipedia.

Note that Tri Alpha news releases have, in the past, been "funds raised to date." The number was $40 million for a long time, so I speculate that the new money is $10 million added to the previous $40 million. But that is just my take on the wording results from my Google search.

I note that $50 million in new money would be really significant. I further note that $10 million in new money is still a lot of hardware (in the "Not Tokamak" arena of fusion research) but probably not a demonstration reactor. What do you think MSimon?
Aero

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Aero wrote:
The Tri Alpha Energy device combines a Migma ion beam collider with a Field-Reversed Configuration in order to increase ion density
That according to Wikipedia.

Note that Tri Alpha news releases have, in the past, been "funds raised to date." The number was $40 million for a long time, so I speculate that the new money is $10 million added to the previous $40 million. But that is just my take on the wording results from my Google search.

I note that $50 million in new money would be really significant. I further note that $10 million in new money is still a lot of hardware (in the "Not Tokamak" arena of fusion research) but probably not a demonstration reactor. What do you think MSimon?
Based on nothing but a hunch (I think they had a $45 million commitment with a $7 million spend for simulations up until this announcement) I'd say they were getting set to cut and bend metal.

BTW I think the Famulus/BBC piece may have given the world community a kick start. We will get some indication of that if EMC2 gets a large bump in funding - i.e. they crash the program. Esp. if our spies in Iran report that they are going all in on Polywell. I think an $8 million program has been announced. That is enough for a start on Polywell or DPF.

The general reaction I've seen on the 'net is that the Iranian program is a joke. But most measure it against ITER. Not the correct metric.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

choff

Post by choff »

The N.Koreans are probably working with the Persians hand in hand, on a crash program to create a working polywell, and why not, their days are numbered.
Before talk-polywell started up, but after Bussard`s google talk, I remember joking that the way to get his work refunded was to tell Washington the NK`s and Republican Guardsmen would show up on the Whitehouse lawn delivered by trans-atmosphere airborne troop carriers, powered by, you guessed it, Polywell`s.
I hear I`madinnerjacket is now claiming Iran`s going to start sending up astronauts.
CHoff

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

choff wrote:The N.Koreans are probably working with the Persians hand in hand, on a crash program to create a working polywell, and why not, their days are numbered.
Before talk-polywell started up, but after Bussard`s google talk, I remember joking that the way to get his work refunded was to tell Washington the NK`s and Republican Guardsmen would show up on the Whitehouse lawn delivered by trans-atmosphere airborne troop carriers, powered by, you guessed it, Polywell`s.
I hear I`madinnerjacket is now claiming Iran`s going to start sending up astronauts.
There was talk of getting the Chinese to fund Polywell way back.

When I was deep in the promo soup I made sure that any blog that mentioned fusion got a Polywell link. That went on until about late 2008 or so. Including any blog from any country. However, outside the US I never got much traction.

Since then I don't even put in links. I just mention Polywell Fusion. There is enough material on the net that anyone can find it. Even the Wiki these days is not bad. It was horrible in 2007.

The Bussard/Ligon fusor effort is bearing a lot of fruit.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

choff wrote:I hear I`madinnerjacket is now claiming Iran`s going to start sending up astronauts.
That's not that difficult. The difficult part is to bring them back alive, which he didn't make mention of.... :roll:

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

choff wrote:The N.Koreans are probably working with the Persians hand in hand, on a crash program to create a working polywell, and why not, their days are numbered.
..as are those of the Western cultures, it seems. What societal trajectory do we appear to be on these days?
choff wrote:I hear I`madinnerjacket is now claiming Iran`s going to start sending up astronauts.
It would seem highly insulting to mis-quote the name of a leader of a country, just for laughs. It should be Armoured Dinner Jacket!

Liquid fossil fuels are always going to represent the highest useable power-density energy source on board a short duration (<24hrs) heavier-than-air flight, so I don't see any reason whatsoever it will ever be powered by anything else but fossil fuels.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Hate to be the killjoy here but you metric seems to have moved from the early days, whereby 'fruit' is measured in funding dollars, not fusion collisions.

It was a long slippery slope that the tokomakers took that got them to where they are today, measuring success in funding dollars not in scientific results seems to me to be their largest downfall.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

icarus wrote:
Hate to be the killjoy here but you metric seems to have moved from the early days, whereby 'fruit' is measured in funding dollars, not fusion collisions.

It was a long slippery slope that the tokomakers took that got them to where they are today, measuring success in funding dollars not in scientific results seems to me to be their largest downfall.
More $ per experiment = faster answers. More experiments = higher chance of success.

Right now I'm thinking money because without it you can't do anything.

Currently I have no access to data. So how can I calculate anything? A sorry state for an engineer I know. But there you have it.

icarus

Post by icarus »

Well at least you've finally accepted that it is a sorry state of affairs.

The longer EMC2 keeps quiet the more pressure they put on themselves to come up with something .... how bad would it look to keep a known failed program black for an indefinite period? Boondoggle would be a too kind of a word in that instance, after the public support they sought and received. Lets hope they are keeping their metrics grounded in reality.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

icarus wrote:Well at least you've finally accepted that it is a sorry state of affairs.

The longer EMC2 keeps quiet the more pressure they put on themselves to come up with something .... how bad would it look to keep a known failed program black for an indefinite period? Boondoggle would be a too kind of a word in that instance, after the public support they sought and received. Lets hope they are keeping their metrics grounded in reality.
Not really, we are not founding them, they are getting their money from the USNavy.
They can keep quiet with the rest of the world as long as USNavy will keep suppling money as they need.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Did anyone read the pay site?

This sounds like recycled news.
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

kurt9

Post by kurt9 »

I know Tri-Alpha's "bending metal, because I applied for their control system engineering job and they told me they had already hired someone about 6 months ago to do their PLC-based control systems. PLC controls are most often used on high-vacuum equipment.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

What is this "Bussard/Ligon" effort cr@&?

By measure of effort, MSimon and a number of others here probably have me beat. My most recent contribution is a tee-shirt design and some new slides for my NASFic presentation in a couple of weeks.

NK and Iran getting in to the game are political moves, but government funding is a political problem. I'm more intrigued by the apparent interest at ONR, which previously had at least some individuals showing resistance. I expect changing attitudes there is more likely the result of real scientific evidence.

Of the two sources of pressure, politics probably trumps science, but maybe science benefits.