Any polywell news?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

jsbiff

Any polywell news?

Post by jsbiff »

Hi,

So, I've not been around for awhile. Last I checked in, the word was we were/are supposed to get some sort of news about Polywell in late fall or winter. Well, it's almost winter, so I thought I'd check. I don't see any headlines here about Polywell (just LENR/E-cat), so I suppose that means nothing yet.

Do we have any kind of more precise deadline or expectation of when we will learn anything new about Polywell?

Post by 93143 »

The recovery.gov project tracker thread has seen a bit of action lately; there's a reason for this. Check it out.

KitemanSA

Re: Any polywell news?

Post by KitemanSA »

jsbiff wrote:Hi,
Do we have any kind of more precise deadline or expectation of when we will learn anything new about Polywell?
Not really. They seem to be going ever more and more "dark" about this stuff. Tis distressing!

Post by 93143 »

All right, I'll be more explicit. They've posted an update. Turns out the "final report submitted" box probably shouldn't have been checked last time.
As of 3Q/2011, the WB-8 device has generated over 500 high power plasma shots. EMC2 is conducting tests on Wiffle-Ball plasma scaling law on plasma heating and confinement.
http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... pId=212569

It's not a lot, but it's not nothing.

jsbiff

Post by jsbiff »

"As of 3Q/2011, the WB-8 device has generated over 500 high power plasma shots."

Does this mean they just create a millisecond pulse and measure data? It doesn't sound like they've run the device in anything like a constant power production mode? I suppose if they're testing scaling, short pulses might make more sense.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Reports on the recovery.gov project site have been brief.
http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/Re ... pId=309748
Basically, confinement is said to be excellent and they have run 500 tests to date. There is some hope that the testing should conclude by years end with WB-8.1 project extension as the next step.

Alan Boyle had an interview with Dr. Park, who is now running EMC2 with Dr. Nebel's retirement after first WB-8 plasma last November. Reported delays have been said to be due to testing tracking funds, rather than the ideal situation of funds tracking experimentation schedule.

Hopes generally are optimistic here based on thin reports. There is some uncertainty on what will be reported if there is success, with some hope that initiation of WB-8.1 will be visible.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

Alan Boyle had an interview with Dr. Park, who is now running EMC2 with Dr. Nebel's retirement after first WB-8 plasma last November. Reported delays have been said to be due to testing tracking funds, rather than the ideal situation of funds tracking experimentation schedule.
ah, so government bureaucracy is slowing everything down? surprise surprise.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It is not to say that fund timing is the predominant delay, there may be other important delay causes, after all this is research and it was mentioned in the article that sometimes issues can be resolved and sometimes they can't. It is hard to tell if that point was theoretical or was in reference to efforts to work through device issues. Just saying.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

icarus

Post by icarus »

happyjack27 wrote:
Not quite. Not enough money is how I read that. Or if you were a pessimist, it is costing too much to test.

rcain

Post by rcain »

by the way, do we know anything definitive about the notional WB8.1 (its size, power for example)?

i don't mean just 'guesses'.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rcain wrote:by the way, do we know anything definitive about the notional WB8.1 (its size, power for example)?

It is my understanding that they will be adding some eqpt. to the WB8. Thus WB8.1.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

icarus wrote:
happyjack27 wrote:
Not quite. Not enough money is how I read that. Or if you were a pessimist, it is costing too much to test.
but time IS money!

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

mvanwink5 wrote:It is not to say that fund timing is the predominant delay, there may be other important delay causes, after all this is research and it was mentioned in the article that sometimes issues can be resolved and sometimes they can't. It is hard to tell if that point was theoretical or was in reference to efforts to work through device issues. Just saying.
well yeah, you "resolve it", and then what do you do? you wait for funding. "hurry up and wait" by any other name is still "hurry up and wait".

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

rcain wrote:by the way, do we know anything definitive about the notional WB8.1 (its size, power for example)?

my understanding is that WB8.1 will be using the same magrid as WB8. they'll be making some modifications to the electron gun, and trying p-b11 fuel. presumably they'll be increasing the power. obviously they're not increasing the size if they're using the same magrid.

ScottL

Post by ScottL »

icarus wrote:
happyjack27 wrote:
Not enough? They've barely used half their allotted funds so far according to the report.