Japan fusion

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Stubby

Japan fusion

Post by Stubby »

Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Yawn, another tokamak. Wake me up in 30 years.

rcain

Post by rcain »

Skipjack wrote:Yawn, another tokamak. Wake me up in 30 years.
- yeah, but the Japanese will get it to work - mark my words... ;)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

rcain wrote:
Like they got Fukushima to work?

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

KitemanSA wrote:
rcain wrote:
Fukushima worked just fine, it just failed horribly :wink:

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Fukushima worked well enough until the tsunami took out the backup generators, and the cooling pumps lost power. The wave was a little higher than the designers foresaw as possible. Which is a case for both passive safe reactors after an emergency shutdown, and backup generators sited with some margin against the worst case foreseen natural disaster.

necoras

Post by necoras »

The wave was a little higher than the designers foresaw as possible
Bull. The seismic engineers told Tepco that the seawall was to low. Tepco ignored them. In addition, the backup generators were diesel powered and located in the basements; exactly the location that would flood during a tsunami.

Fukushima Daiichi was 100% a case of human error. It was 100% preventable. This was proved by the fact that Fukushima Daini, which was included updated designs to withstand a tsunami of the size that hit is up and running today. Corporate greed at its finest.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Citations?
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

If you start at the Wikipedia article it will quickly lead you to a large number of reports that say basically what necoras said.

djolds1

Post by djolds1 »

paperburn1 wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
rcain wrote: - yeah, but the Japanese will get it to work - mark my words... ;)
Fukushima worked just fine, it just failed horribly :wink:
Fukushima worked magnificently - it absorbed many times its design max before failure. The engineers should be proud - they won't be permitted to be, but they should be.
necoras wrote:Bull. The seismic engineers told Tepco that the seawall was to low. Tepco ignored them. In addition, the backup generators were diesel powered and located in the basements; exactly the location that would flood during a tsunami.
I hadn't heard that before. Cite?
Vae Victis

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

necoras wrote:Bull. The seismic engineers told Tepco that the seawall was to low. Tepco ignored them. In addition, the backup generators were diesel powered and located in the basements; exactly the location that would flood during a tsunami.
I hadn't heard that before. Cite?[/quote]
Events like that Tsunami occur in that area every two thousand years on average. As the last event was 700 years old the TEPCO corporation decided to build on the 500 year average because the odds predicted that they would not see such an event in the lifetime of the reactor. OOPS,

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://pr.bbt757.com/eng/pdf/finalrepo_111225.pdf
this is the link to the after action report. the flaws are obvious in hind site. protection to 10 meters and a 15 meter surge

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

But not so crazy when considered in terms of civil engineering standards and 100 year norms.

Should we start engineering things to 10,000 year norms?

If so, a lot of folks are going to have to move.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

djolds1 wrote:Fukushima worked magnificently - it absorbed many times its design max before failure. The engineers should be proud - they won't be permitted to be, but they should be.
I hadn't heard that before. Cite?
Actually, it didn't. It survived its design earthquake severity and that was basically it. Please note that the Richter scale (peak severity) really tops out at about 8 and the unit was designed to survive that with some safety margin. The moment magnitude scale continues on but what it reflects is a continuation of the same peak severity earthquake.

Re the cite, see my response to Ladajo. Regarding the 40m tsunami, they were told, but they decided it was a "low probability" event and did not account for it. Oops! Especially since it would have been very inexpensive to account for it. "Penny wise, pound foolish"?

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

ladajo wrote:Should we start engineering things to 10,000 year norms?

If so, a lot of folks are going to have to move.
In certain circumstances, perhaps so. Especially when the cost is low by comparison to the loss.

Who would have to move and why?