General Fusion in the news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Skipjack

Re: General Fusion in the news

Post by Skipjack »

As previously discussed, GF is moving ahead with commercialization and sales early in the game. Could be a smart move IF they can make their machine work as expected:
https://generalfusion.com/2022/02/bruce ... ro-future/

RERT

Post by RERT »

Did I translate this right, or did I get out of bed on the wrong side this morning?

“Bruce Power, GF and the NII signed a non-binding document.

They think that nuclear fusion might be a good thing. They are going to think about a strategy, and meanwhile publicise fusion’s benefits.

GF said “We think this is a good thing”. BP said “We’re definitely looking into fusion”. NII said “This is one of dozens of clean energy projects we support”.

BP, GF and NII are important organisations that do cool stuff.”

I give GF a point for talking to BP, and vv. But not much meat.

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Oh, it is definitely not a binding document or anything of that regard. What it does show however is that GF is actively pursuing utilities already. Get into bed with them early and hit the ground running when the time comes to commercialize their product (provided they make it work).

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

GF is expanding their cooperation with utilities as was mentioned already in the Helion thread. It seems that they are really moving forward early in this area. https://generalfusion.com/2022/04/gener ... y-leaders/

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

Previously General Fusion was targeting 2025 as the year when their Fusion Demonstration Plant (FDP) would start operating. For some reason GF now states on their homepage that the FDP start of operations will happen in 2027. The delay is of course unfortunate but hopefully Zap Energy and Helion Energy can keep their very ambitious schedules.

Another change is that Greg Twinney has replaced Christofer Mowry as the Chief Executive Officer of General Fusion.

https://generalfusion.com/fusion-demo-plant/
https://generalfusion.com/post/general- ... e-officer/

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

crowberry wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 am
Previously General Fusion was targeting 2025 as the year when their Fusion Demonstration Plant (FDP) would start operating. For some reason GF now states on their homepage that the FDP start of operations will happen in 2027. The delay is of course unfortunate but hopefully Zap Energy and Helion Energy can keep their very ambitious schedules.

Another change is that Greg Twinney has replaced Christofer Mowry as the Chief Executive Officer of General Fusion.

https://generalfusion.com/fusion-demo-plant/
https://generalfusion.com/post/general- ... e-officer/
That does not bode well for the company. The delay could only be positive IF they decided to increase the Q from 0.1 to something closer to 1 or higher. Otherwise, yeah I guess the investors were not too happy considering that others are having much more ambitious schedules.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Skipjack wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:59 am
Otherwise, yeah I guess the investors were not too happy considering that others are having much more ambitious schedules.
Another cause could be that the result of increased scaling are not going the way they extrapolated from the models derived from previous experiments.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

I don't think so on either count. It is a big mechanical machine lots of pistons to synchronize, electronics, machine work to high tolerance, the COVID nonsense, and no experience in management with such systems, so I think it all added up to overly optimistic schedule.

Finance and science guys running a company that makes big industrial machines for the first time = delay.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

mvanwink5 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:29 am
Finance and science guys running a company that makes big industrial machines for the first time = delay.
This I agree that can also be a possibility.

mvanwink5 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:29 am
I don't think so on either count. It is a big mechanical machine lots of pistons to synchronize, electronics, machine work to high tolerance
This one I do not agree.

First, they need to have a stable homogeneous plasma with mostly uniform properties, and this alone is quite a feat considering the size of the machine.
Plasma injector scaling issues will be quite a headache to solve.

Second, they need to prevent turbulence instabilities in the molten metal wall that could disrupt the plasma and the compression phase.

Third, they need to synchronize the external pneumatic pistons to correctly move the pistons inside the rotating wall to shape the liquid metal in a sphere as uniform as possible or there will be insufficient (or no) plasma compression, and hence little (or no) fusion.

The First can probably be solved with enough effort.
The Second and especially the Third are not easy at all and I would not be surprised if these are the cause of the delay.
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

First, they need to have a stable homogeneous plasma with mostly uniform properties, and this alone is quite a feat considering the size of the machine.
Plasma injector scaling issues will be quite a headache to solve.

Second, they need to prevent turbulence instabilities in the molten metal wall that could disrupt the plasma and the compression phase.

Third, they need to synchronize the external pneumatic pistons to correctly move the pistons inside the rotating wall to shape the liquid metal in a sphere as uniform as possible or there will be insufficient (or no) plasma compression, and hence little (or no) fusion.
All 3 point you make are 100% good.
1. GF have physically tested plasma compression and have made an injector, but 'Never Trust A Plasma.'
2. They have made a scale device, modeled the compression, but physical devices are a bitch.
3. Again 2.

Given the 3 points, I believe the actual date change is because of hardware logistics, COVID, electronics, and just making the machine. Plus, they relocated to another country to build from their own (people, companies, laws). IMO, it was a bad idea no matter the money.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

New news letter out informing public about the progress of the outer compression chamber by Sheffield Forgemasters. This is a trial ring, one of 11 that will be bolted together to form the outer compression vessel. Commercial target is early 2030's, but that would require fusion demonstration this decade. Nice to see compression vessel hardware fabrication, this is the long lead component.

https://mailchi.mp/generalfusion/genera ... c2986861e1

Skipjack

Post by Skipjack »

Interesting bit from the General Fusion reposonse of the FIA 2023 Report:

Underway: MTF machine – LM26 – to be built in Richmond,
B.C. LM26 is designed to achieve fusion conditions of
over 100 million degrees Celsius by 2025, with a goal of
achieving breakeven by 2026

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The quote continues:
The data gathered from LM26 will be incorporated into the design of the company’s planned near-commercial machine in the UK.
This is another quote from the FIA 2023 report:
Recent company investments: General Fusion relocated and expanded its headquarters to Richmond, B.C. The new facility will provide space for General Fusion’s LM26 MTF demonstration machine designed to achieve fusion conditions of over 100 million degrees Celsius by 2025, with a goal of achieving breakeven by 2026.
So GF has changed their plans and will build a new device, LM26 in Canada before continuing with the Fusion Demonstration Plant in Oxford, UK.

In the 2022 FIA report GF has reported that they have 207 employees, but in the FIA 2023 report the number is given as 150 employees, so there has been a signifcant reduction in the workforce.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

Helion's time line has put pressure on the fusion industry as a whole, with ZAP a further possible issue. I wonder what General Fusion can do with a smaller machine that aims at only breaking if Helion comes in with net electric (late) 2024? Crunch time.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It was posted that this new, interim machine was planned but GF did not have an announcement on their site. The pressure is on to show progress to utilities that will be making generation plans, remember, utilities have to look at generation in terms of decades.

https://mailchi.mp/generalfusion/genera ... c2986861e1