New Analog article posted on-line

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Tom Ligon

New Analog article posted on-line

Post by Tom Ligon »

The January-Feb Analog fact article, "The World's Simplest Fusion Reactor Revisited" is posted in a "special edition" form at Askmar. Mark Duncan has done his usual job enhancing the graphics, and he has added a bunch of figures using photos of the other machines mentioned in the article.

http://www.askmar.com/Fusion_files/2008 ... isited.pdf

I'll have a .pdf of my manuscript to MSimon for posting shortly, essentially the same thing Analog had with a short post-script.

MrE

Post by MrE »

Truly an inspiring read. Great work! I felt a bit sad when I read the Bussard part written when he was still kicking neutrons. A man struck down, a vision immortal. So long as those who believe in a better world hold the vision to light their ways towards truth and discovery.

Keegan

Post by Keegan »

Hey Tom, that was really well written. Especially the part on direct alpha conversion. Thats the best breakdown i have heard of it yet.

Also thats a nice story how you got in touch with Dr B. I wish i had a fusion lab 2 miles from home :wink: That must of been a real special time for you.

Just one Question. The picture of WB-4 in operation, can you confirm that the glow in the centre of the machine is a wiffle ball and not a reflection/artifact ?

All the best - K
Purity is Power

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

The wispy glow in WB4 in that particular photo is due to it being in operation, but the specfic configuration of the machine in that photo is atypical. I'm not sure of the specifics, but they were toying with various configurations and that one was making excess plasma outside the magrid.

Many of the earlier photos of WB2 and WB3 show a very bright glow inside the magrid, with wispy glows out the cusps, but those are not the desired condition. The very bright glow is a runaway condition Dr. Bussard apparently later categorized as a Paschen arc, and I suspect it is too high a density and thermalized.

The conditions for fusion probably produce very little visible light. Ions produce light only when they recombine, so a visible glow is evidence you are losing them.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

I read your article, Tom, good job of writing. I realise that EMCC are under orders from DOD and we cannot pre-empt that, but I do hope for more frequent updates ... it's great that Dr. Nebel is on the forum.

Regards,
Tony Barry