Another Cancellation

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Another Cancellation

Post by MSimon »

http://blogs.knoxnews.com/knx/munger/20 ... dream.html

After 40 years of effort Tokes seem to be falling out of favor.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Mike Holmes

Post by Mike Holmes »

That's an optimistic viewpoint. One might also assume that all fusion is falling out of favor. Was there money for this that will now go to some other form of fusion research? No?

Or is the hope that some of the good minds previously working on this will now move to working on other forms of fusion research? Won't these guys just all be applying to work on the ITER now? Since it's the only (Tokamak) game in town?

Mike

jmc

Post by jmc »

That machine in the link is not a tokamak. Its a stellerator.

The news is actually very good for those working on the low aspect ratio tokamak NSTX, since they were about to axe its funding and divert it to this compact stellerator. But instead NSTX will remain as the flagship spherical tokamak for the USA.

Solo

Post by Solo »

Rats. I live right down the road from Oak Ridge, I'd have liked to have that thing in my 'backyard'!
Mike Holmes wrote:One might also assume that all fusion is falling out of favor.
Yeah, that's not a good sign, if true.