EMC2 news

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

usesbiggerwords

Re: EMC2 news

Post by usesbiggerwords »

Has there been any news on EMC2/Polywell lately? I would hate to think site's namesake has finally gone under without ever really having a chance to prove itself.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

It is about ten months since Ladajo mentioned simulation work going on at EMC2. I guess we just need to be patient and one day we might have some more news on EMC2?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Your wish is being granted.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

I am interested into that too!
A society of dogmas is a dead society.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

It smells like good news is rolling out. I have been greatly surprised that good news has been so slow in being revealed. The problem seems to always be lack of money. Perhaps EMC2 has convincing sim results, but sims alone have not been that persuasive in the industry. I wonder if EMC2's old machines can be refitted to validate the sim results (assuming they are strongly positive)? I guess we will have to wait for results.

Wouldn't that be something if Polywell in the end lives up to our early hopes? LOL
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

It does seem like things are moving again. I hope to see some good news as well.
Polywell certainly has the high density plasma corner of the market. I am sure that will pay off for them somehow, and accordingly we should see some advance in plasma and fusion science.
While ITER will break-even, it was never at this point in time meant to be viable economically. Finding a way to get to break-even in a small scalable form is the key. Even NIF is not small scale, nor cheap. However, these points raised, both ITER and NIF provide a means to further our understanding on the path to high energy density fusion based forms. If Polywell comes in at even 1/10 the size of ITER for a break-even unit that is a huge win in itself.
In order to move past our current epoch of the Information Age to what I see as the next epoch, the Energy Age, we need high energy density sustainable power sources. Fusion remains the best option over Fission and other lessor options for scalability, suitable densities, and affordability.
In the meantime, Fission certainly is a player for a gap filler. It would get us through the door into the Energy Age if we chose to execute.
For the interim, I look forward to seeing some solid news out of Polywell in the near term.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)