MIT claim they will build the SPARC

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Carl White

Re: MIT claim they will build the SPARC

Post by Carl White »

A look into the site where SPARC will soon sit, as the construction crew makes progress every day inside our Tokamak Hall.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The CFS project Commercial fusion power on a decadal timescale with the compact, high-field ARC power plant was awarded a grant from the DOE $46 Million Milestone-Based Fusion Development programme. The CFS press release on this topic mentions what they will be doing with the funding:
CFS milestones include manufacturing and testing its first fusion magnet for SPARC, launching a fusion community benefits program that includes strong commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) and energy justice (EJ) as part of that process, developing the design and technology roadmap for CFS’ first commercial fusion power plant, and submitting its ARC physics basis papers.
https://cfs.energy/news-and-media/cfs-d ... nt-program

usesbiggerwords

Post by usesbiggerwords »

launching a fusion community benefits program that includes strong commitments to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) and energy justice (EJ) as part of that process
These are dollars that could be spent doing, you know, actual fusion. I have less confidence now about this project.

mvanwink5

Post by mvanwink5 »

As if words can bend reality, these political fools put the word 'Justice' into everything. Right out of the 1984 playbook, turning fiction into harsh, gas lighting life. Gag. CFS is a Gates Grift platform.
Counting the days to commercial fusion. It is not that long now.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The dollars will undoubteldy be spent on the SPARC magnets and on the ARC development work. A diverse workforce is good so that they have access to a broad range of talent. A policy like that will not cost extra.

sd_matt

Post by sd_matt »

No.

The proper way to do this is expand equality of opportunity through reforming the public school system, putting the kaibash on the university tuition price gouging and so on.

DEI, race quotas, affirmative action and the like are a tacit admission of the utter failure and or lack of will to commmit to meaningful education reform.

DEI is just some power grab one has to sieg heil to and amounts to the Soviet Navy's political officers. It is just as revolting to me as Christian fundamentalist psudoscience but way more pernicious.

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

Assembling the bridge cranes. The people and vehicles there give a sense of scale:

usesbiggerwords

Post by usesbiggerwords »

Dr. Whyte was on Jordan Peterson's podcast

https://youtu.be/Ftnt7KoRTIk?feature=shared

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

I gotta say, I too hope they keep the silly populist politics out of the project's reality and just focus on science. You couldn't be more DEI if you did.
In other news, that is a big hole!
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Carl White

Post by Carl White »

"Tests show high-temperature superconducting magnets are ready for fusion"

Detailed study of magnets built by MIT and Commonwealth Fusion Systems confirms they meet requirements for an economic, compact fusion power plant.

https://news.mit.edu/2024/tests-show-hi ... ready-0304
One of the dramatic innovations, which had many others in the field skeptical of its chances of success, was the elimination of insulation around the thin, flat ribbons of superconducting tape that formed the magnet. Like virtually all electrical wires, conventional superconducting magnets are fully protected by insulating material to prevent short-circuits between the wires. But in the new magnet, the tape was left completely bare; the engineers relied on REBCO’s much greater conductivity to keep the current flowing through the material.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Now that is interesting.
Lots of thoughts circulating in my mind seeking cohesion, direction, and purpose.
Kind of like an uninsulated coil of wire.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)