Someone has the date of release of Information - Lets POOL !

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

PsychoI3oy

Post by PsychoI3oy »

Tuesday.

icarus

Post by icarus »

October 7

Aero

Re: October 15

Post by Aero »

Helius wrote: ... Dibs on October 15, 2008.
Is this the winner, or did someone else come closer?
Aero

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Sep 4th seems to be the first public release of info.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Yes, but does that count? We never found out about it and this thread wasn't even started until September 7.
Aero

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

That's pretty ironic :lol: I think it's either that (sep. 4th), or whatever date the public release of the August trials is.

Torulf2

Post by Torulf2 »

I think the new project at China Lake will delay the news at least one year.

Helius

Post by Helius »

Torulf2 wrote:I think the new project at China Lake will delay the news at least one year.
Sooooo, The race is ..... Back ON!

tombo

Post by tombo »

from the first post:
The information being the announcement of a follow-on research effort of course.
The Sept 4 was just keeping them alive until a decision could be made, as Rick said, so I would not count it.
But, I guess these October solicitations count as a de-facto announcement that there will be a follow on research effort even though it does not say much about what it is.
It is tantalizing but pretty unsatisfying.
And, I was way too pessimistic.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

Helius

New Contest: May the best winner, uh... win.

Post by Helius »

The New Contest, can key off "follow on":

Lets say it's a new basic machine: Either Duodecahedral, Larger vacuum chamber and/or coils, or a very interesting and fundamental change in the existing WB7, such that new and important principles are added to the basic "Wiffleball" design.

When will the next "Follow On" step be announced?

I got February 14, 2008, One month after the Inauguration. It will be tangled up in the restoring of ITER funding, and that debate will be raging.

Edit:

Make that February 13, 2009. It's a Friday.

Aero

Post by Aero »

Ok, continuing contest keyed on "follow-on" as in the initial post. But we get to pick a new date as soon as we like? One unexpired guess at a time? What should be the rules? We should not bias the rules so that Shakespeare wins.

"To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;"

and still no follow-on.
Aero

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

tombo wrote:from the first post:
The information being the announcement of a follow-on research effort of course.
The Sept 4 was just keeping them alive until a decision could be made, as Rick said, so I would not count it.
But, I guess these October solicitations count as a de-facto announcement that there will be a follow on research effort even though it does not say much about what it is.
The 2nd and 3rd pre-solicitations appear to be more of the same, keep the team alive, tweek what they've been doing, fill in some holes, answer a few concerns of the review team, but NOT going on, not going forward. I don't think that anything has been announced, and I am not sure it ever will. This may just go "black" and disappear totally from the ken of man.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

Let's not be too pessimistic, too soon :)

tombo

Post by tombo »

Even if it "goes black" that is information.
I would take it to mean that the polywell works.
We have enough data and skills outside the black zone to carry civilian research forward. And the knowledge that the Navy thinks it is that important might just pry enough private money loose to get it done.
And it is important to do so, considering that every country and organization in the world has the same starting point as we do.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

GWW57

Alan Boyle's

Post by GWW57 »

I predicted:
16th December 2008
Reviews can take a long time, but I hope for results this year.
I claim the prize!

Alan Boyle says:

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/ ... 18741.aspx
Nebel told me today. Although he couldn't go into the details, he said the verdict was positive.

"There's nothing in there that suggests this will not work," Nebel said. "That's a very different statement from saying that it will work."
OK - so this is not the same as having a copy of the report, but this sounds as if the referees have finished their report close to my expected date (and it looks not too critical!)

Gary

:D