News on the Review?

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

KitemanSA

News on the Review?

Post by KitemanSA »

We have heard a lot of news on this forum about a lot of interesting things, but what about the results of the review committee?

rj40

Post by rj40 »

That’s the big question. They don’t appear to be saying anything – except for some small contract announcements several weeks back.

How does this compare to other open US government projects? What is the average “wait time” before an official announcement is made on US Gov’t sponsored unclassified research projects?

drmike

Post by drmike »

It's more a budget question. You have to put advertising and outreach in as specific budget items, so for larger projects you get results sooner simply because somebody is in charge of getting the info out there. Look at NASA and live TV coverage 24/7 on the space station.

EMC2 has a really small crew doing a really big job. It will take a while to get some documentation on all their work. Let's let them try to take data and explain it to each other first, when they think they have something to say, let them take the time to say it well.

krenshala

Post by krenshala »

drmike wrote:Let's let them try to take data and explain it to each other first, when they think they have something to say, let them take the time to say it well.
As frustrating as having to wait is for everyone that wants to hear the "official" results, I have to agree this is probably the best plan.

energyfan

Post by energyfan »

all quiet on the polywell front

...corny, i know, sorry couldnt resist :)
i dont think we will be the first to know even if there is some news, theres probably a process where the navy will see it first and that may take time

zbarlici

Silence

Post by zbarlici »

I think you would all agree that if we do not hear anything of it in the next few months, then the embargo is back on. Meaning that whatever the results are they are good enough to warrant further government funding/contract extension.

In any case, if the results are negative we wouldn`t be kept in the dark about it...

KitemanSA

Re: Silence

Post by KitemanSA »

zbarlici wrote:I think you would all agree that if we do not hear anything of it in the next few months, then the embargo is back on. Meaning that whatever the results are they are good enough to warrant further government funding/contract extension.
Folks have been saying "a few months" since the middle of August, and three may be a few, but 3 more seems to be pushing it.
zbarlici wrote:In any case, if the results are negative we wouldn`t be kept in the dark about it...
Unless they are hiding a whopper of an embarrassment.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Unless they are hiding a whopper of an embarrassment.
A couple of million $$ is not much of an embarrassment.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

KitemanSA wrote:
zbarlici wrote:I think you would all agree that if we do not hear anything of it in the next few months, then the embargo is back on. Meaning that whatever the results are they are good enough to warrant further government funding/contract extension.
Folks have been saying "a few months" since the middle of August, and three may be a few, but 3 more seems to be pushing it.
Gotta keep things in context, that is, polywell is just one among the rest of the reins the new admin is taking up. If we see it significantly drift behind the rest, then we'd definitely know something's up. Let's not thank Nebel & crew's work with sticks in their wheels.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Betruger wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:
Gotta keep things in context, that is, polywell is just one among the rest of the reins the new admin is taking up. If we see it significantly drift behind the rest, then we'd definitely know something's up. Let's not thank Nebel & crew's work with sticks in their wheels.
Rick mentioned here that we should lay off political pressure - some time in October I believe. AFAIK he has not suggested that we resume our publicity/political campaign at this time.

If we do not see something promising in the Energy Bill the new administration has promised we ought to put the pressure on.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Aero

Post by Aero »

You don't suppose that the Polywell Fusion Device-Ion Injection Gun they are making is to use with WB-7 for experiments with a longer run time, do you?

If so, we will have to wait for another cycle of results, review, and further evaluation. :(
Aero

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

My pov has always been that so long as the guys in charge in the experimental room are trustworthy, then time is on our side. Doc Nebel hasn't shown any hints of lacking political flair, as far as getting these experiments to their conclusion. This when he commented on turn-key polywells, etc.

gblaze42

Zimwalte

Post by gblaze42 »

Putting two and two together I'm wondering how much of the future of the Polywell was tied to the DDG1000 (Zimwalte) cruisers that the Navy was making? these were to be an all electric ships and a Polywell reactor would have been ideal power source. Now that they've been cut back to just one or two, a Polywell reactor may not be much of an importance anymore.

MSimon

Re: Zimwalte

Post by MSimon »

gblaze42 wrote:Putting two and two together I'm wondering how much of the future of the Polywell was tied to the DDG1000 (Zimwalte) cruisers that the Navy was making? these were to be an all electric ships and a Polywell reactor would have been ideal power source. Now that they've been cut back to just one or two, a Polywell reactor may not be much of an importance anymore.
The fact that they have been cut back to one or two means that they are essentially a technology demonstration project. i.e. a test bed. Similar to the Long Beach and the Bainbridge of the early fission era. Or the Nautilus for submarines.

KitemanSA

Re: Zimwalte

Post by KitemanSA »

gblaze42 wrote:Putting two and two together I'm wondering how much of the future of the Polywell was tied to the DDG1000 (Zimwalte) cruisers that the Navy was making?
Not at all. There are good reasons to go all electric, even if the source of the electricity is a gas turbine (read LM2500 or MT30).
Would it be nice if the BFR were plug and play replacements for the current design? Sure. Will the Navy hold progress on something as distant as the BFR? No way.
I see the DDG1000 in the same light as the SSN21 (SEAWOLF), the last gasp of the Department of Defense. What they are being replaced with is the VA Class submarine and the LCS (with a few DDG reworks thrown if for ABM work) that mark the conversion to the Department of Offense.