The Navy Is Looking For One Good Man

Point out news stories, on the net or in mainstream media, related to polywell fusion.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

The Navy Is Looking For One Good Man

Post by MSimon »

https://www.usajobs.org/jobs/77753120/S ... VISION.htm

Office of Naval Research
Sub Agency: Naval Research Laboratory
Job Announcement Number:
NW8-1310-00-K9129469-SES

SUPERINTENDENT, PLASMA PHYSICS DIVISION

SALARY RANGE: 114,468.00 - 172,200.00 USD per year

SES Salary Range - Actual salary may vary depending on the scope and complexity of the position and the qualifications and current compensation of the selectee.OPEN PERIOD: Monday, December 01, 2008
to Wednesday, December 31, 2008

SERIES & GRADE: ES-1310-00/00POSITION INFORMATION: Full-TimePermanent

DUTY LOCATIONS: 1 vacancy - Washington, DC

WHO MAY BE CONSIDERED:
The search for candidates includes all individuals within the Executive, Judicial, and Legislative branches of the Federal Government as well as the private sector.

JOB SUMMARY:
This is a Career Reserved position.
The selectee will be responsible for the oversight of on-going programs within the Plasma Physics Division.The Plasma Physics Division conducts a broad experimental and theoretical program in basic and applied research in plasma physics, laboratory discharge and space plasmas, intense electron and ion beams and photon sources, atomic physics, pulsed power sources, laser physics, advanced spectral diagnostics, and nonlinear systems. The effort of the Division is concentrated on closely coordinated theoretical and experimental programs. Considerable emphasis is placed on large-scale numerical simulations related to plasma dynamics; ionospheric, magnetospheric, and atmospheric dynamics; solar plasma dynamics; nuclear weapons effects; thermonuclear plasma confinement; atomic physics; plasma processing; nonlinear dynamics and chaos; free electron lasers and other advanced radiation sources; advanced accelerator concepts; and atmospheric laser propagation.

Please include one (1) copy of the form from the following link in your application package: https://www.donhr.navy.mil/Senior_exec/ ... nnaire.doc

Send Mail to:
Naval Research Laboratory
Attn: Kathy Weaver, Code 1810
4555 Overlook Avenue SW
Washington, DC 20375-5324
USA

For questions about this job:
Kathy Weaver
Phone: (202) 404-8305
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

joedead

Post by joedead »

anyone here thinking of applying?

:wink:

On a sidenote, would this position supercede Nebel's in authority?

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

WOW, good catch, MSimon. It's fair to say the Navy is looking into building up a new plasma physics division, and maybe beyond that, that there's a no-confidence vote on ITER.

Mumbles

Interesting, but no plasma background...

Post by Mumbles »

joedead wrote:anyone here thinking of applying?

:wink:
I would be interested in a job like this, having an impending retirement from the active duty Navy in the early November timeframe... But my background is in aeronautical engineering and flight test - not something they would probably take for a plasma physics SES job... Besides, I am not really interested in the commute from southern Maryland up to the beltway... (At least NRL wouldn't be as bad as the Pentagon!)
joedead wrote:On a sidenote, would this position supercede Nebel's in authority?
This position would probably be (or be above) the TPOC and/or COR (Technical Point of Contact and Contracting Officer's Representative, two separate positions) on any follow-on contracts with EMC2. The TPOC and COR for the current contracts has already been set. Then again, if the contracts are through NRL, those positions could be reorganized under this new plasma lead.

The contractual statement of work defines what the company (in this case EMC2) has to do. It doesn't give the Navy the right to reach in and make decisions. Only at major review points (PDR, CDR, etc.) do all the details and decisions get brought out, discussed, and decided/approved. (And we all know how MSimon feels about engineering and project reviews!!)

Of course, any future EMC2 contract might not go through NRL, but might be taken over by the nuke power crowd... Just saying...

Be Safe
Mumbles

derg

Post by derg »

joedead wrote:anyone here thinking of applying?
Well, since you asked...yes I did honestly consider it. No, I'm not qualified- I fall short in the technicalities...if they interviewed me, it would probably end up with me saying something like 'Have you no appreciation for genuine passion and intellectual fervor? Never mind those years I spent...Don't you know real talent when you see it? Forget my...um...credentials, can't you see the passion in my eyes?"

Roger

Re: The Navy Is Looking For One Good Man

Post by Roger »

MSimon wrote:*

https://www.usajobs.org/jobs/77753120/S ... VISION.htm

Office of Naval Research
Sub Agency: Naval Research Laboratory
Job Announcement Number:
NW8-1310-00-K9129469-SES

SUPERINTENDENT, PLASMA PHYSICS DIVISION

SALARY RANGE: 114,468.00 - 172,200.00 USD per year
They dont seem to be doing our kind of thing.

http://other.nrl.navy.mil/EnergyOptions ... an000.html
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

scareduck

Re: The Navy Is Looking For One Good Man

Post by scareduck »

Roger wrote:They dont seem to be doing our kind of thing.
It occurred to me that this could either be terrible for Polywell or great. Terrible, because if this position gets under the thumb of the tokamak guys, all alternative fusion approaches then have NO funding (or insufficient that it will make any difference). On the other hand, that might be a good thing because it would then be forced into the private sector, where they'll have to pay attention to costs. It's also much less likely to succumb to political favoritism in either direction; we don't know who was on the late panel that said things were going well, their backgrounds, their relationship to Nebel or Bussard, etc. Not that I'm implying that these are intrinsically a problem now, but we still have no data.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN EXTENDED to January 30.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Thanks Art,

I wonder if they are looking for some one not totally in the tokamak tank and are having trouble finding such a person.

===

BTW some one asked for your opinion on Steampunk Fusion. If you have the time.

It looks doable from a mechanical/control standpoint - barely. 1 year MTBF is not out of the question for the whole machine.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Art Carlson

Post by Art Carlson »

It looks like they extended the deadline a second time, to 03/31/2009.
https://hro1.nrl.navy.mil/jobs/view.asp?ID=33

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

scareduck wrote:WOW, good catch, MSimon. It's fair to say the Navy is looking into building up a new plasma physics division, and maybe beyond that, that there's a no-confidence vote on ITER.
The selectee will be responsible for the oversight of on-going programs within the Plasma Physics Division.
No new division here, just the same-old same-old.