Information Property Status

Discuss fusion-related developments, personalities, and events. Explore how we got to where we are today.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Feebleminded

Information Property Status

Post by Feebleminded »

Hello Polywell community,

I have been "taking" a lot of information from this forum over the past few months, and I have decided it is time to join the discussion. My formal training is a BA in Mechanical Engineering, but I focused on thin film deposition which is where I first became interested in plasma's with magnetron sputtering processes and the like.

After extensively researching the Bussard design, and satisfying my questions and concerns, I am ready to move forward. Most would agree that a continuous drive break even machine is the next step forward.

My question is, what exactly is the IP status of the Polywell? For example, if another corporation were to take the design and run with it, what kind of IP roadblocks are there specifically? Additionally, how could that entity protect itself from getting pushed out by a large energy player with billions in capital for example.

Since the original patents filed back in the '80's have expired, what other than this from 2008/2011 is there, and how would one deal with those barriers?

Method and apparatus for controlling charged particles 1989

Method and apparatus for creating and controlling nuclear fusion reactions 1992

Method and apparatus for controlling charged particles 2008

Method and apparatus for controlling charged particles 2011

Feebleminded

Post by Feebleminded »

So noone has any input on this sutff? I am very curious, but my knowledge of patent law is embarrassingly limited.

In addition to the patents of Bussard, there are these related to his invention:

Modular Apparatus for Confining Plasma - 2010

System and Methods for Magnetically Assisted IEC Fusion - 2011 (FP Generation)

Magnetic and Electrostatic Nuclear Fusion Reactor - 2011 (Crossfire Design)

KitemanSA

Re: Information Property Status

Post by KitemanSA »

Feebleminded wrote: My question is, what exactly is the IP status of the Polywell? For example, if another corporation were to take the design and run with it, what kind of IP roadblocks are there specifically? Additionally, how could that entity protect itself from getting pushed out by a large energy player with billions in capital for example.
Ok, I'll throw my two cents worth in here, and after inflation you couldn't even buy a paper napkin with that, but...

As I understand it, the basic patent has expired. But that just described the method and a small, appearantly non-usefull implementation. To make this thing ACTUALLY work will require development of a lot of other pieces, and those pieces are (or should be) patentable in their own right.

So if you do the work to make this work, your work can probably be protected. That won't prevent anyone from working to fine a DIFFERNT way to make this work. But you can protect YOUR way.

I suspect that is why EMC2 let their last application die. It suggests to me that they think they can make this work, and want to protect enough of the "other pieces" to protect their work. Since there is no-one ELSE doing major work on this, they may have thought; "why not wait till we are ready to go before patenting this, it'll last longer that way".

Just a thought.