Some Interesting Accelerators

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Some Interesting Accelerators

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Re: Some Interesting Accelerators

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:They may be relevant to ion accelerators for Polywell.
Why do we need ion accelerators? I thought the potential well was the accelerator. Really, all we need is a way to ionize and slip the fuel across the lip of the well without excess energy. With excess energy, the ion goes thru the core and out the other side, then accelerates AWAY from the MaGrid, never to return!

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Perhaps I should have been clearer. They suggest different structures for an ion gun.

BTW if you have a grid at + 50KV you need to accelerate the ions enough to get them through the grid. Or else ion injection has to take place inside the grid structure.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:Perhaps I should have been clearer. They suggest different structures for an ion gun.

BTW if you have a grid at + 50KV you need to accelerate the ions enough to get them through the grid. Or else ion injection has to take place inside the grid structure.
Seems easier to port gas at a low pressure to a permiable spot on the inner surface of the MaGrid and let the MG ionize it. Hmmm?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote:Perhaps I should have been clearer. They suggest different structures for an ion gun.

Seems easier to port gas at a low pressure to a permiable spot on the inner surface of the MaGrid and let the MG ionize it. Hmmm?
That is how I would do it. But some folks like ion guns.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote: [That is how I would do it. But some folks like ion guns.
My problem with introducing the ion outside the MaGrid is that if it has ANY excess velocity going into the grid, it should have that same excess coming out, no?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

KitemanSA wrote:
MSimon wrote: [That is how I would do it. But some folks like ion guns.
My problem with introducing the ion outside the MaGrid is that if it has ANY excess velocity going into the grid, it should have that same excess coming out, no?
Baring collisions.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

MSimon wrote:Baring collisions.
Well, if it collides with the MaGrid, its a goner anyway. But my puzzlement revolves around the elasticity of an inter-ion collision. If two ions collide but don't fuse, and one has the "perfect" potential well energy and the other has excess, won't one always have excess after any collision? Or is there some loss mechanism that will slow the pair?