Low Pressure Wiffleball

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

t's not that I'm against building a fusor; I'd love to. But I can't see it being less expensive than a simple, small WB.
While there are many similarities between the fusor and the WB, building the magnets, powering them, and getting a big enough vacuum chamber would be daunting, vs the relative simplicity of the fusor.

Sorry, all this was brought up earlier in the thread. Still, I think the points remain valid.

D Tibbets

Liquid Polywell

Post by D Tibbets »

A liquid Polywell?
Could a non conducting medium like an oil or ultra pure water be used with a light, easily ionized salt to model the ion /charge / magnetic effects of a Polywell type design? No vacuum would be needed, and possibly permanent magnets could be used in a very cheep system. Could the bahavier have any correlation with the motions in a fair vacuum like in a Polywell? The diffusion , electronic attractions and repulsions should be similar. The motions of the ions along magnetic field lines would be hard to imagine as they would be constantly colliding with the oil molecules, ie- a very short 'Mean Free Path'. Would this preclude this system from working? If it works in part, it should be easy to tag the ions with a visible, fluorescent, or radioactive marker and follow the positive and negative ions as they are shoved around ( and shove back against) the electrical and magnetic fields. I don't see things like measuring confinement time and recirculation being useful, but the formation of a 'wiffle ball' might be .

Or, to vastly increase the mass and inertia of the particles relative to the liquid ( or gas ) medium, actual particles could be used. For instance use smoke particles of various sizes and pos or neg charges to mimic the pos ions and electrons in a real Polywell. They might (depends on surface area vs mass) be bounced around less by the intervening medium (Brownian motion?), thus more closely mimic the action of light ions and very light electrons in a vacuum ( OR NOT).

If nothing else, my speculations may generate some thoughts, or laughs .
To error is human... and I'm very human.

bobshipp

Post by bobshipp »

Responding to TallDave's comment about buying a WB-7 from EMC2, if the project is dropped. I am a first time poster and a retired very small independent power producer and have a number of questions. First, what would be a fair price? Second, It is my understanding that Dr. B had envisioned that WB-8 would be a dodecahedron is that still a logical progression? Third, is it reasonable to assume that the Nebel team could build and test a dodecahedron for an additional 1 million? And fourth, if one wished to fund the dodecahedron how would it be best to make contact?

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

bobshipp wrote:Responding to TallDave's comment about buying a WB-7 from EMC2, if the project is dropped. I am a first time poster and a retired very small independent power producer and have a number of questions. First, what would be a fair price? Second, It is my understanding that Dr. B had envisioned that WB-8 would be a dodecahedron is that still a logical progression? Third, is it reasonable to assume that the Nebel team could build and test a dodecahedron for an additional 1 million? And fourth, if one wished to fund the dodecahedron how would it be best to make contact?
Go to the members list and message Dr. Nebel. He goes by rnebel here.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

bobshipp

Post by bobshipp »

MSimon wrote:
bobshipp wrote:Responding to TallDave's comment about buying a WB-7 from EMC2, if the project is dropped. I am a first time poster and a retired very small independent power producer and have a number of questions. First, what would be a fair price? Second, It is my understanding that Dr. B had envisioned that WB-8 would be a dodecahedron is that still a logical progression? Third, is it reasonable to assume that the Nebel team could build and test a dodecahedron for an additional 1 million? And fourth, if one wished to fund the dodecahedron how would it be best to make contact?

I followed your advice and messaged rnebel on Saturday August 16th. I have not received a response. That maybe good news. It could mean they have lined up funding to continue or at least expect to receive it.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

Hello Bob,
I expect that right now the EMC2 folks are in the thick of reports and discussion about the results of their experimental work. The verdict from the Navy as to continued funding may well be contingent on that report. The team will probably have little time to eat and sleep, let alone answer outside enquiries.

So in the first instance, a "no-reply" should not be taken as no interest.

I think that everyone here is just waiting on the news.

Regards,
Tony Barry

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

bobshipp wrote:
MSimon wrote:

I followed your advice and messaged rnebel on Saturday August 16th. I have not received a response. That maybe good news. It could mean they have lined up funding to continue or at least expect to receive it.
In the last day or so I have exchanged e-mails with Rick. He didn't say anything about what is next. I would assume as you do that the future is not an issue.

Also: I expect an announcement on Friday. But that is a hunch based on nothing except that it is the final day of the contract.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

bobshipp

Post by bobshipp »

Surprise!! I did just receive a response from rnebel. He indicated that 1 million for a dodecahedron would probably be a little light, but might be doable. No other comment.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

bobshipp wrote:Surprise!! I did just receive a response from rnebel. He indicated that 1 million for a dodecahedron would probably be a little light, but might be doable. No other comment.
Now put that together with the assumed fact that you are not the only one contacting him.