Positrons in a BFR

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

EricF

Post by EricF »

cool. So if clusters of neutrons with positron shells start to accumulate as 'elements' are these what the standard model considers 'exotic particles'? I'm still making my way through The Particle Adventure between studying for a quiz :lol:

kmkramer

Post by kmkramer »

What I mean by "positron capture" is that it will convert the neutron to a proton through a weak interaction.

EricF

Post by EricF »

weird. There must be some sort of a byproduct particle being emitted, or some sort of radiation. A neutron, being larger than a proton, capturing yet another particle, with the net result being a smaller particle than the total mass, thats just weird.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

EricF wrote:weird. There must be some sort of a byproduct particle being emitted, or some sort of radiation. A neutron, being larger than a proton, capturing yet another particle, with the net result being a smaller particle than the total mass, thats just weird.
Such a product is, I believe, the so called 'anti-neutrino'. It will never be a reaction seen in a BFR.

The weak reaction normally involves the breakdown of a neutron into a proton and the release of a positron and a neutrino. e.g. the proton+proton reaction produces a deuteron (by the 'decomposition' of a proton into a neutron), a positron and a neutrino. The reverse is the anti-neutrino, and is, presumably, an endothermic reaction.

EricF

Post by EricF »

Cool. An anti-neutrino seems rather benign. Thanks guys :)