Why people are so optimistical to Polywell?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
chrismb wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:The good knowledge of English doesn't rescued from nonsenses Mr.Oppenheimer-Phillips, "scattering cross section at 10 degrees" :)
You never, ever did understand that point did you? I will try in one final effort, so, at least, you learn something here - you claimed that nucleii could get up to some energy above the Coulomb barrier, at which they would always fuse.

It is not truth. Only you from more then 4'000 people in three forums understood that in such way.
viewtopic.php?t=3023
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/853/
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=485695
And it is your problem.
chrismb wrote:That energy is >MeV, and if you run deuterons that high then they fall apart rather than fusing.
For D+T reaction recurred energy for pair of nucleus does not exceed 300 keV

And what can you suggest for reading? I suggest to learn about scattering cross section - how does that calculated and does that depend on angle.
And about applicability of O-P as well.

Shalom
I read what you had to say on the Physics Forums.

You are unaware that the ultimate intention for Polywell is direct conversion with velocity to electrical conversion running in the 50% to 60% range with around 80% being the ultimate expectation. No thermal cycle for energy conversion.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
chrismb wrote:Try reading this, as well;

http://www.fusor.net/board/download_thr ... 1227208869

I still do not think you have yet come to understand the difference between a thermal plasma and a 'generally cold, locally hot' one.

[Incidentally, you aksed where someone had ever suggested your beam-idea before, and this thread is but one example of someone discussing it.]
I does not a big matter what you think.

And I advise you too to make some readings and to reduce arrogance. Even if you know more. But it not so.
Are you an engineer? It is my experience that if an engineer doesn't have a good measure of arrogance (s)he is no good. Of course some of the arrogant ones are no good either. You have to study people carefully to see if the arrogance is warranted. In chris' case he has properly earned it IMO.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
MSimon wrote:Well then your work is done. Why waste any more time with it?
Inquisitiveness :)
Then read the fookin papers.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

MSimon wrote:In chris' case he has properly earned it IMO.
Well, thank you, dear sir!! [hat tip in your general direction :wink: ]

OK, so Kite is correct enough... arguments come looking for me, sometimes, it seems. :twisted:

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
chrismb wrote:You never, ever did understand that point did you? - you claimed that nucleii could get up to some energy above the Coulomb barrier, at which they would always fuse. That energy is >MeV, and if you run deuterons that high then they fall apart rather than fusing.

It is not truth. Only you from more then 4'000 people in three forums understood that in such way.

Well, OK, for the particular case of DT but DT's fusion cross-section peaks at 64keV and then drops off, making your proposition of selecting some ion energy to get the majority of ions overcoming the barrier look a bit silly if the probability of fusion is highest at energies below the 'Coulomb energy' barrier. [If you concern yourself to look, you will find that you start getting all these inelastic lossy reactions at higher energies, like O-P.]

Funnily enough, for DD's Coulomb barrier height, 0.4MeV, the DD fusion cross-section keeps going UP! So even if you pump in DD at 0.4MeV, fusions still are not guaranteed and, in fact, become more likely still at higher energies (the reverse of DT). Go figure....

Once you understand a bit more about cross-section probabilities and the nature of Gamow tunnelling, along with the astrophysical/resonance factors, then maybe you can hold an intelligible conversation about it.

I'm sorry I've been the one to have pointed out that your 'invention' was both previously described and unworkable, but I guess if I step forward to try to help you understand this, it is inevitable that the messenger gets shot when the recipient of the message takes it so personally as you have done.

Was it a snub to have dismissed your beloved 'invention'? No. But you surely have taken it that way. Just note that you have sought to discredit the only person here to have taken an interest enough to comment in depth on it. No-one else could even be bothered. So I think you've got the reply you were after, it's just not the one you wanted. It's not a genius world-changing idea, and no-one is ever going to build it, least of all yourself.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Joseph Chikva wrote:........

Regarding ions and throun rock.
Let's say that ions are oscillating around center (potential well). Is this acceptable model?
That is reasonable, except recognize that oscillation/ orbiting does not necessarily mean circular orbits. The more elliptical the oscillations (within limits) the better convergence- central focus and resultant core density and fusion.

As far as your approach, I have not sen it, but from comments it seams to be two collimated beams of ions at two different speeds, with some space charge neutralization. The fast beam overtakes the slower beam and hopefully make fusions. Several thoughts:
This sounds like essentially beam target fusion, just with a different frame of reference. Or, if you prefer beam- beam fusion, except with a negative handicap that has to be overcome. With opposed beams the velocities are additive, in this scheme the velocity of the slower beam is subtrative. This means that the total input energy per possible collision goes up. I suppose this might be tolerable if other concerns compensated. But. two moving beams at different velocities is still essentially opposing colliding beams, just with a different frame of reference. If you are concerned about two stream instabilities with opposing beams, how is that different from this scheme?

Using some numbers, and ignoring the losses from the two different speeds in the same direction, if the effective collision energy ~ 100 KeV, then with D-T fuel you might have 10 scattering collisions for each fusion collision. Assume that each scattering collision leads to the loss of one (or should that be two ) ions, and that space charge scattering/ defocus is controlled) . Then for each fusion collisionn (~17 MeV yield) you would lose ~ 1 MeV . This ignores other losses like Bremstrulung, etc. Still you might optimistically expect a net positive Q of perhaps 5-10 (?). With D-D, the scattering collision rate over the fusion rate would be at least 10 times higher, and the yield per fusion might be ~ 6 MeV. So for each 6 MeV fusion you would lose ~ 10 MeV or more. No way to come out with a positive Q. So, this might work with this probably extreamly optimistic analysis, but only with D-T fuel. You could push D-D fuel energies to higher levels and perhaps decrease the scattering to fusion ratios, but other losses would add up- such as Bremsstrulung, and the gain per fusion event would decrease.

From a beam- beam fusion perspective, how is this different from a Polywell? At least ideally, the Polywell is an opposing beam fusion machine. The angular scattering collision perturbations are less significant because of the spherical geometry, and the expectation that many of the scattering collisions will l occur near the center where any angle of dispersion results in only modest change in angular momentum (deviation from radial paths). Even once considerable dispersion has occurred, the fusion efficiency would fall some, but not end. This multi- chance, multi-pass approach ensures significantly better fuel burnup, and does so at only modest input energy requirements.
In a twin tandom beam system, ions would only have one or a few chances to fuse before being lost from the system. Even if you curved the beams around a torus, the scattering reactions would quickly disperse and thermalize the ions- and now you essentially have a Tokamak.

Playing with externally applied electrostatic fields are certainly interesting and results in even more complex interactions, but this has been tried in many mirror designs, and I believe in Tokamaks and FRC machines. The only ones of these that MIGHT work is the Polywell and Tri-Alpha FRC approach. There are possibly others, but I know nothing of them.

Another question. If you are interested in fusion power, not only positive energy balance is required, but also reasonable energy density. A Dense plasma focus, FRC and Polywell may be attrative, The Tokamaks are just to darn big. How would a twin beam approach fair. I suspect that the ion densities within the beams could not be very high, so the fusion yield would be low, even if it was a net positive energy balance.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
chrismb wrote:You never, ever did understand that point did you? - you claimed that nucleii could get up to some energy above the Coulomb barrier, at which they would always fuse. That energy is >MeV, and if you run deuterons that high then they fall apart rather than fusing.

Well, OK, for the particular case of DT but DT's fusion cross-section peaks at 64keV and then drops off, making your proposition of selecting some ion energy to get the majority of ions overcoming the barrier look a bit silly if the probability of fusion is highest at energies below the 'Coulomb energy' barrier. [If you concern yourself to look, you will find that you start getting all these inelastic lossy reactions at higher energies, like O-P.]

Funnily enough, for DD's Coulomb barrier height, 0.4MeV, the DD fusion cross-section keeps going UP! So even if you pump in DD at 0.4MeV, fusions still are not guaranteed and, in fact, become more likely still at higher energies (the reverse of DT). Go figure....

Once you understand a bit more about cross-section probabilities and the nature of Gamow tunnelling, along with the astrophysical/resonance factors, then maybe you can hold an intelligible conversation about it.

I'm sorry I've been the one to have pointed out that your 'invention' was both previously described and unworkable, but I guess if I step forward to try to help you understand this, it is inevitable that the messenger gets shot when the recipient of the message takes it so personally as you have done.

Was it a snub to have dismissed your beloved 'invention'? No. But you surely have taken it that way. Just note that you have sought to discredit the only person here to have taken an interest enough to comment in depth on it. No-one else could even be bothered. So I think you've got the reply you were after, it's just not the one you wanted. It's not a genius world-changing idea, and no-one is ever going to build it, least of all yourself.
Regardless how cross-section goes after resonanse there isno any possibility for O-P reaction. For your note there is no the matter what energy has particle in laboratory frame, but we should have proper energy in center-of-mass frame.
You said the nonsense and continue to state on that.

I am repeating:
O-P stripping
D(2)+X(A)=p+X(A+1)
So,
• for D+T reaction with birth of hydrogen nucleus with 3!!! neutrons
• for D+He3 that is a target reaction (you said "you will have high energy particle instead of fusion" when my target is namely to get those high energy particles)
• for p+B11 I do not know what may be stripped here? If proton – as I remember I did not propose to use hadron collider, if B11 - yes, that should be "stripped" as we should get 3 alpha-particles.

All the more I like Dan Tibbet's idea he has said in one of threads here. And if we cosider DT reaction (the concept acceptable for every reaction of interest) the fusion cross section falls slower than scattering cross section.

We need not consider Gamov tunneling. If only not for the general erudition. It is enough to know at what collision energy fusion has maximum section.

I am not trying to discredit anyone here or anywhere else. Who would speak? You? Simply reduce the arrogance. When you call “rubbish” about someone, you from yourself shouldn't speak rubbish.

And also please do not worry about my "invention" or invention.
As that is under way. In negotiations stage yet.
I have not seen arguments against that but also I am open for well-founded criticism. Only for this purpose I have placed that in forums.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

MSimon wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
chrismb wrote:Try reading this, as well;

http://www.fusor.net/board/download_thr ... 1227208869

I still do not think you have yet come to understand the difference between a thermal plasma and a 'generally cold, locally hot' one.

[Incidentally, you aksed where someone had ever suggested your beam-idea before, and this thread is but one example of someone discussing it.]
I does not a big matter what you think.

And I advise you too to make some readings and to reduce arrogance. Even if you know more. But it not so.
Are you an engineer? It is my experience that if an engineer doesn't have a good measure of arrogance (s)he is no good. Of course some of the arrogant ones are no good either. You have to study people carefully to see if the arrogance is warranted. In chris' case he has properly earned it IMO.
I do not know what Chris earned talking nonsenses.
And did not wait here that discussing fusion the man should study people.
What do we discuss - fusion or psychology?

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

MSimon wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
chrismb wrote:You never, ever did understand that point did you? I will try in one final effort, so, at least, you learn something here - you claimed that nucleii could get up to some energy above the Coulomb barrier, at which they would always fuse.

viewtopic.php?t=3023
http://focusfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewthread/853/
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=485695
And it is your problem.
chrismb wrote:That energy is >MeV, and if you run deuterons that high then they fall apart rather than fusing.

And what can you suggest for reading? I suggest to learn about scattering cross section - how does that calculated and does that depend on angle.
And about applicability of O-P as well.

Shalom
I read what you had to say on the Physics Forums.

You are unaware that the ultimate intention for Polywell is direct conversion with velocity to electrical conversion running in the 50% to 60% range with around 80% being the ultimate expectation. No thermal cycle for energy conversion.
Unfortunately before direct energy conversion we should reach breakeven in fusion.
And as I know we have some problems with that. :)

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

D Tibbets wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:Regarding ions and throun rock.
Let's say that ions are oscillating around center (potential well). Is this acceptable model?
That is reasonable, except recognize that oscillation/ orbiting does not necessarily mean circular orbits. The more elliptical the oscillations (within limits) the better convergence- central focus and resultant core density and fusion.
Not the elliptic or orbit.
Let's consider like oscillation of cargo on a spring – in radial direction (up and down – this is the way to London town :) )

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Joseph Chikva wrote:When you call “rubbish” about someone, you from yourself shouldn't speak rubbish.
I've never said 'rubbish' about anyone. So much for you reading.

Your comment that '[an energy at which] the majority of particles will fuse' is what I called rubbish. It is rubbish. Any idea based on the fallacy that there is '[an energy at which] the majority of particles will fuse' is rubbish, and I tried, but failed dismally, to help you comprehend that as you elevate the particle energy all you do is smash them apart. There is no energy at which the majority of particles fuse.

Are you even prepared to contemplate that this is correct and I made it to help you with your comprehension of fusion?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
D Tibbets wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:Regarding ions and throun rock.
Not the elliptic or orbit.
Let's consider like oscillation of cargo on a spring – in radial direction (up and down – this is the way to London town :) )
Joseph,
Dan is making a key point here that we tried to explain earlier. The particles in polywell are not limited to a linear oscillation. They evolve as orbital oscillations, thus the multiple dimension tracking dilemma. They are not pure keplarian independant orbits as they are constantly interacting with each other, and the environment they exist in. This is where it becomes very difficult to understand and the subsequnet many conjectures on how the distributions will evolve. It is best to just build it and see. As is being done by EMC2. At this point the public is not party to the results at large. We have had limited glimpses, such as the accidently released WB6 results summary.
So far, nothing has come to light to say it will not work.

Giorgio

Post by Giorgio »

Joseph,

here is a link to a quick sum up of the polywell machines and main results obtained for each of them:
http://www.emc2fusion.org/QuikHstryOfPolyPgm0407.pdf

And this is the 2006 Valencia paper:
http://www.emc2fusion.org/2006-9%20IAC%20Paper.pdf

You can read them in one hour of free time.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Joseph,
Please give them a read.

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

Thinking about my above post and my presumption of what Joseph is concidering Bosting the baseline speed of the ion population in two interacting beams would indeed increase the fusion reaction rate compared to the Coulomb collision rate. See the graph below. I combined two seperate graphs so that not only D-T vs Coulomb collision rates could be compared, but also the ~ realitive rate for three other fuels.

It makes a seamily big difference to have the beams starting out at a high baseline speed, but...

In comparing the scattering Coulomb collisions to the fusion collisions, this scheme would reduce Coulomb scattering collision rates to below that of fusion collisions when considering beam ions and background non beam ions. But, it would not change the Coulomb- vs- fusion collision ratios within the two beams themselves. The center of mass KE of the interacting beams would not be changed. I think this would result in a decrease in the beam - background scattering rate and this might have some benefit in limiting beam distortion due to background interactions- and this might ease vacuum pumping concerns, at least in the short term.

But within the two interacting beams, the scattering - fusion ratios would not be any different whether the baseline starting velocity was set at 1 KeV or 10 MeV. It is the relative difference in velocity between the beams that is important.
In other words, this scheme has no relative benefit or disadvantage within the frame of reference of the beam ions. The disadvantages come into play when you consider how the beam ions are interacting with electrons and the space charge. This also means that in the lab frame of reference the distance the ions travel before either a scattering or fusion collision occurs will be greater. This will result in a longer machine, unless it is a back and forth oscillation or closed torus geometry.

In some ways this is like the alpha particles produced from P-B11 fusion. With their high KE, they do not react much with the relatively low energy fuel ions, so there is little thermalization between them [EDIT- within the time scales of a Polywell, at Tokamak is different].. But, again, if you were trying to fuse these alphas together , the above arguments would apply.

This does make for some interesting speculations about a staged reactor. If a reactor had such a high lab (or rocket engine ) frame of reference directional velocity bias, then all subsequent fusion products could only travel in one direction. ie: If the P-B11 fuel ions all start with a 180 degree velocity at 10 MeV, then any alphas produced would have a velocity in the general 180 degree direction of ~ 6 MeV (- 4MeV + 10 MeV) to 14 MeV (4 MeV + 10 MeV). This makes for some interesting results, but I do not think there could be any energy balance advantage, and possibly considerable disadvantage.

Another interesting situation, is that if the ion beams started out at high enough velocity, then even in open air the beam background collision rate might be slow enough that the reactor would not need a vacuum. Of, course when the less frequent scattering collisions do occur, the results would be impressive.- a combined 1 GeV baseline energy fusion reactor and atom smasher. Of course the Q would max out at ~ -0.01 at best.

Dan Tibbets
Last edited by D Tibbets on Sun May 15, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To error is human... and I'm very human.