Questions Once Again

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

The + and - charges balance. This was brought to my attention a while back.

Estimates are that a BFR could provide electricity at rates of 1/2 to 1/10th current rates. That will be of most help to industrial customers. For residential the grid delivery - wires, poles, and pole pigs - represent both a fixed charge and about 1/2 of the delivered cost.

So even if the cost of electricity went to zero, your home electric bill would probably go down by at most 1/2.

The real gains come from industrial plants sited near the reactors.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

Well that's pretty epicly amazing.

Assuming that our electric bills will be halfed, and this is just counting normal people, I dont believe people would have a reason to drive gas driven cars anymore, not with electric power being so cheap, with advancement in cell batteries and whatnot, pretty sure people would rather drive electric cars if we can get it down to that.

Power plant cost, now from what I understand from what you said, this may not be that great, are you saying a BFR can generate 1/10 to 1/2 the power but costs 1/2 of a traditional powerplant? That sounds not that great... I was under the impression that it would cost a lot less, I mean afterall, the polywell design isnt gonna be huge, there may be additional costs in the power systems, wiring and whatnot, but I really thought it wouldnt cost that much, not 1/2 of a traditional powerplant, may it be fission, magnetic confinement fusion, fossil fuels, etc. I thought that if the cost was low, you can potenially just build a lot of them all over the USA, it would create jobs, plus we will have just a huge surplus of electrical energy, which I thought you could sell to neighboring countries at a low rate, you win twice there. I dont know how much the energy is wasted in the transportation process tho...

But one thing I was thinking about is the industries, if the electric energy price went down, then obviously the many industries will be able to spent less money, which I'm hoping a huge percentage is for electric power, that could potenially drive prices down. I mean I remember once a friend told me that energy runs the world, and I think I agree with him.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

blaisepascal

Post by blaisepascal »

Robthebob wrote:Assuming that our electric bills will be halfed, and this is just counting normal people, I dont believe people would have a reason to drive gas driven cars anymore, not with electric power being so cheap, with advancement in cell batteries and whatnot, pretty sure people would rather drive electric cars if we can get it down to that.
The cost/mile for an EV that gets 3mi/kWh at $0.09/kWh is about $0.03/mile. The cost/mile for a gas car that averages 22mpg at $3.70/gal is about $0.17/mile.

If an 82% savings won't convince people to go electric, I don't think a 91% savings will.

Robthebob

Post by Robthebob »

Well, I thought the reason people dont drive electric cars is because of a couple of other reasons, like technological limits, availablity, price, etc.

I know I would switch once most of those problems are solved, when added to the fact that energy becoming extremely aboundant, I doubt everyone would still want to drive gas driven cars.
Throwing my life away for this whole Fusion mess.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Robthebob wrote:Well, I thought the reason people dont drive electric cars is because of a couple of other reasons, like technological limits, availablity, price, etc.

I know I would switch once most of those problems are solved, when added to the fact that energy becoming extremely aboundant, I doubt everyone would still want to drive gas driven cars.
Plug in hybrids will start changing the mix.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.