Why people are so optimistical to Polywell?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Joseph Chikva wrote:
Giorgio wrote:Care to link us to some paper stating the opposite?
http://hedpschool.lle.rochester.edu/200 ... s/Dorf.pdf
See page 5 Beam current neutralization condition
So, are you now saying that your experiment will be beams running through a plasma?!? If you can't get your own idea straight in your head, then there is no hope for the rest of us!!

This is a completely different set of physics. Plasma reactions to ions running through them is complex and often surprising and a very interesting aspect of plasma physics, but plently of fusion experiments regularly run high energy beams into plasma and they don't generate net fusion! For sure, you do get plenty of reactions, but never 'pay-back'.

What are the plasma parameters for the plasma that your beams are going to run through?

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:How bout starting a new thread? I keep come to this one hoping to find discussion about why folks are optimistic about Polywell and all I get is this stuff about Chikva's daydream.
Kite, this thread was never about polywell. It was JC trying to initiate a conversation to show his idea is better than a polywell experiment, and that we should all give up waiting for polywell to come good (or bad - whatever) and all swoon at the genius of his idea.
Now I only swoon at your knowledge of fusion. Regardless is that Polywell or other.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:
So, are you now saying that your experiment will be beams running through a plasma?!? If you can't get your own idea straight in your head, then there is no hope for the rest of us!!

This is a completely different set of physics. Plasma reactions to ions running through them is complex and often surprising and a very interesting aspect of plasma physics, but plently of fusion experiments regularly run high energy beams into plasma and they don't generate net fusion! For sure, you do get plenty of reactions, but never 'pay-back'.

What are the plasma parameters for the plasma that your beams are going to run through?
No, I only shoed you and others that in case of coherent motion or in other words beams the total neutralization of space charge is not obligatory.
Do more readings.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:
Joseph Chikva wrote:

No, I only showed you and others that in case of coherent motion or in other words beams the total neutralization of space charge is not obligatory.
Do more readings.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:What are the plasma parameters for the plasma that your beams are going to run through?
Mr. no plasma.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

So why are you referring to papers about beams through plasmas?

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:So why are you referring to papers about beams through plasmas?
Because you said that pinch of non-neutralized space charge beam impossible.That's not so.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

I may've implied it's not possible for your setup.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:I said it's not possible for your setup.
Why?

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

Because of beam emittance.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:Because of beam emittance.
It is not trouth.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

So, what do you think beam emittance is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_emittance

Why is there a technical term for something that doesn't happen?

Wakey up, fella! You have been reading articles and papers about fast ion behaviour in plasmas.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

chrismb wrote:So, what do you think beam emittance is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_emittance

Why is there a technical term for something that doesn't happen?

Wakey up, fella! You have been reading articles and papers about fast ion behaviour in plasmas.
Mr. I have been reading a lot. And unlike you I know how to use what read.
Wake up yourself.

chrismb

Post by chrismb »

What do you think beam emittance is?