Is magnetic flux quantified only near superconductors?

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

jarek wrote:Joseph, "carrying out of matter from depth of the Sun" seems like spicules, but as I've written, Wikipedia article says that such explanation has been discounted.
Unfortunately I speak English very badly.
What do you mean under "discounted"?
Was there proved that no any matter thrown from the depth of Sun?
Or what?

If yes, from where that matter appears?

jarek

Post by jarek »

From corona article: "For decades, researchers believed spicules could send heat into the corona. However, following observational research in the 1980s, it was found that spicule plasma did not reach coronal temperatures, and so the theory was discounted."
Solar wind article says that it doesn't come directly from the surface, but is accelerated in corona.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

jarek wrote:From corona article: "For decades, researchers believed spicules could send heat into the corona. However, following observational research in the 1980s, it was found that spicule plasma did not reach coronal temperatures, and so the theory was discounted."
Solar wind article says that it doesn't come directly from the surface, but is accelerated in corona.
So, if that truth (as I understand anonym people writes articles in wiki, etc) and if not heating by mass transfer than self-heating version should be considered.

jarek

Post by jarek »

Joseph, as I've written they are working on this looking fundamentally coronal heating problem for decades, mass transfer is definitely not enough and fusion is practically negligible ... so it seems there are two main approaches now: by magneto-acoustic waves and by magnetic reconnections ...

There is extremely interesting yesterday's NASA announcement: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyag ... prise.html
Voyager has found bubble-like foam of magnetic field lines (flux ropes/vortex lines?) coming from our Sun:

"(...)
"The sun's magnetic field extends all the way to the edge of the solar system," explains Opher. "Because the sun spins, its magnetic field becomes twisted and wrinkled, a bit like a ballerina's skirt. Far, far away from the sun, where the Voyagers are now, the folds of the skirt bunch up."

When a magnetic field gets severely folded like this, interesting things can happen. Lines of magnetic force criss-cross, and "reconnect". (Magnetic reconnection is the same energetic process underlying solar flares.) The crowded folds of the skirt reorganize themselves, sometimes explosively, into foamy magnetic bubbles.
(...)"

ps. Here is recent PRL article about laboratory experiments of magnetic flux ropes: http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v105/i7/e075005

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

jarek wrote:Joseph, as I've written they are working on this looking fundamentally coronal heating problem for decades, mass transfer is definitely not enough and fusion is practically negligible ... so it seems there are two main approaches now: by magneto-acoustic waves and by magnetic reconnections ...
But waves or somewhat else should be fed from somewhere with energy.
I do not know.

jarek

Post by jarek »

Don't worry - they also don't know and it's why it is still called the coronal heating problem ...
The energy of magnetic field comes from extremely interesting internal dynamics of Sun ... for example on equator it makes full rotation in 25.6 days, while on poles in 33.5 days ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun ) - creating complicated structures of vortices ...

The question is if such observed 'magnetic flux ropes' could be important in tokamak or polywell ... ?

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

jarek wrote:The question is if such observed 'magnetic flux ropes' could be important in tokamak or polywell ... ?
In TOKAMAKs a lot of various types of instabilities has been researched.
In Polywell as Polywell's fun saying - not, nothing similar.

Joseph Chikva

Post by Joseph Chikva »

jarek wrote:Don't worry - they also don't know and it's why it is still called the coronal heating problem ...
The energy of magnetic field comes from extremely interesting internal dynamics of Sun ... for example on equator it makes full rotation in 25.6 days, while on poles in 33.5 days ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun ) - creating complicated structures of vortices ...

The question is if such observed 'magnetic flux ropes' could be important in tokamak or polywell ... ?
See page 10
http://www2.fz-juelich.de/jsc/datapool/ ... 0-slpp.pdf
May be that would be interesting for you.