Two aloof elements could form a superconductor

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

PolyGirl

Two aloof elements could form a superconductor

Post by PolyGirl »

This article provides further insights for superconductor materials and hence provide possible solutions for the Polywell fusions reactors

http://www.physorg.com/news120411420.html

Regards
Polygirl
The more I know, the less I know.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Yeah, all they have to do is to keep it under millions of atmospheres of pressure. Or find a compound that will simulate that pressure.

One of these days the materials science guys will figure out how superconductance really works and we might just get room-temperature superconductors. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

tonybarry

Post by tonybarry »

With engineering, there are always ways to do stuff. The trick is to find the most efficient way (lowest cost, least time to manufacture, most reliable).

Right now, each polywell MaGrid magnet looks to be a series of concentric toruses (torii?) with LHe, LNx, and finally water, flowing in them to form a series of thermal zones which can coexist with each other.

While it's not the most elegant solution we could imagine, right now it's the best solution we can (probably) engineer.

Any idea which reduces the torus count (e.g. high temp. superconductors) is worth keeping in mind. While it may not be feasible right now, it could be the start of something worthwhile.

Regards,
Tony Barry

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

If the compund is stable, this is great news. Otherwise it might as well be metallic hydrogen (another possible high-pressure room-temperature superconductor only stable at the core of Jupiter).

(obligatory wiki links)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_hydrogen
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter

It's pretty unlikely that the compund would be stable and superconducting at one atmosphere, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Roger

Post by Roger »

I vaguely remember something about a theory that states that there are blank spots on the periodic table, those elements should be superconductors, if we can learn to make them, some should near room temp.. as warm as 50 below zero F.
I like the p-B11 resonance peak at 50 KV acceleration. In2 years we'll know.

scareduck

Post by scareduck »

Roger wrote:I vaguely remember something about a theory that states that there are blank spots on the periodic table,
Are you talking about the actinides? There's a lot of ultra-heavy elements that have extremely short lifespans -- on the order of hundreds of microseconds in the case of the elusive Ununoctium atom, which has only been seen for vanishingly short periods of time.

Roger

Post by Roger »

scareduck wrote:Are you talking about the actinides?
I don't remember, it was something I saw on TV a couple of decades ago.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

From 1 to 92 electrons the periodic table is filled.

You may have been watching a history program where some of the missing elements were predicted. That was a pretty long time ago.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Roger

Post by Roger »

MSimon wrote:That was a pretty long time ago.
Like when color TV was still newish....LOL

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Roger wrote:
MSimon wrote:That was a pretty long time ago.
Like when color TV was still newish....LOL
Go back to black and white.

Before transistor radios.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

PolyGirl

Notes of the period table elements

Post by PolyGirl »

Permanent elements on the periodic table are determined by IUPAC http://www.iupac.org/reports/periodic_table/ and currently there are 111 elements in the periodic table.

We have from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_table the following:

“As of 2006, the table contains 117 chemical elements whose discoveries have been confirmed. Ninety-two are found naturally on Earth, and the rest are synthetic elements that have been produced artificially in particle accelerators. Elements 43 (technetium) and 61 (promethium), although of lower atomic number than the naturally occurring element 92, uranium, are synthetic; elements 93 (neptunium) and 94 (plutonium) are listed with the synthetic elements, but have been found in trace amounts on earth.”

Element 118 (Ununoctium) has been found and verified, but Element 117 (Ununseptium) has not been discovered, that is, it has not been created in the laboratory. However it may have the properties of a semimetal. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununseptium for further details.

There is a term called the “Island of stability” where, transuranium elements and isotopes of transuranic elements are more stable than others and hence decay less. Which leads us to this, “these ‘elements’ could be ‘metals’, which in turn could be made into superconductors”. However this is highly speculative and further research would be required in this area.

But as Scareduck said, “I wouldn't hold my breath”.
The more I know, the less I know.