Dr. Joel Rogers Founded a company to build a Polywell

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

Dr. Joel Rogers Founded a company to build a Polywell

Post by mattman »

I do not know if you have seen this already:

Dr. Joel Rogers Founded a company to build a Polywell:
http://convsci.com/login

He also applied for US a patent: US 2010/0284501 A1, but according to chrisMB it was rejected...

http://www.google.com/patents/US2010028 ... rs&f=false

Here is his presentation form last week's IEC conference in Maryland
http://www.aero.umd.edu/sedwick/present ... tation.pdf

They need $240,000 for machine construction.
Last edited by mattman on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Maybe he should "KickStart" it. Indiegogo may also work.

chrismb

Re: Dr. Joel Rogers Founded a company to build a Polywell

Post by chrismb »

mattman wrote:He also has US a patent: US 2010/0284501 A1
He does not have a patent.

This was a patent application, not 'a patent'.

'Was', past tense, because it received a final rejection on 1st May 2012.

It is an 'ex'-patent application....

It has gone the same way as Bussard's last patent applications;
US20080187086
&
US20110170647

all having received final rejections.

All of General Electric's examined patent applications have received final rejections.

All of Rostoker's patent applications of the last few years have received final rejections.

USPTO is no longer issuing any patents for fusion related patent applications any more because there is no evidence to show a reduction to practice. This includes patents from Govt bank-rolled labs.

It's easy to file a patent application. The hard bit these days is getting it granted.

One has to be a 'mega-mind' to get a fusion energy related patent past the USPTO these day. :wink:

mattman

Post by mattman »

Chris,

Thanks.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

now if it was software, getting a patent would be a breeze...

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

a) "a gaseous fuel cell inject monoenergetic ions" - meaning continuous neutral gas injection (as opposed to puff)? how does he intend to create such a precise valve at such a small scale?

b) "electron scrapping" - what the hell is that?

c) am i seeing this right from the slides, that the coils are non-conformal and there's not enough room for recirculation? isn't that going to totally kill power output (and produce heat)? i presume the goal is just to test a) and b).

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Kevin,
Electron scr-a-ping.

Joel previously championed the idea of putting reflectors or collectors (scrapers) on the cusps to collect and recycle e- escapees and thus improve overall "efficiency".
Needless to say this idea is fraught with issues that Joel has not considered.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

For the other items:

a). He thinks so...

c.) yup, you read it right. He is going with of the shelf magnets in non-conformal cans and with suspect spacing in the box. Two bad ideas to be sure.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)

mattman

Post by mattman »

Happyjack,

I agree. I think he has too much metal in the middle.

lots of metal means lots of conduction losses. This may kill the machine.

=========

Have people looked at the other presentations from the conference?!?

U of Sydney now has A 7.5" diameter aluminium device!!

It looks like David Gummersall already applied the Paper model to Bussard's reactor

====

I don't know where the US wants to be in all this but it looks like we need to move fast to play catch up!!

Ivy Matt

Post by Ivy Matt »

Well, the US is funding EMC2's research....
Temperature, density, confinement time: pick any two.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I recall a mention of Dr. Buzzard experimenting with cusp reflectors. Worked well for reducing electron losses, but was absolute murder on ion losses.

happyjack27

Post by happyjack27 »

hanelyp wrote:I recall a mention of Dr. Buzzard experimenting with cusp reflectors. Worked well for reducing electron losses, but was absolute murder on ion losses.
ya - if you make an electrostatic cusp reflector, you're basically telling the ions to hit it.

so you make a magnetic one - but then how's that really any different than just increasing the current in the coils, or the number of faces on the magrid?

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

And Bussard did play with corner reflectors in the earlier WB constructs to no avail.

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Thanks for the Aussie slides! Interesting that there are so many WB-6 clones now.

I agree, too many people seem to not know about Bussard's experience with closed systems, or are disregarding that.

It's funny Joel would go that way, iirc his simulations suggested cusp-plugging from cold electrons. Maybe he's seeing something new.

I think everyone is going to be a step or two behind EMC, but I wish them the best of luck!
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...

TallDave

Post by TallDave »

Having looked at Fig 6, I think some of the criticism might be misguided -- I don't see any metal in the way of field lines. I'm not sure about the reflectors/scrapers, based on the photos I think Bussard's were much closer, which tended to suck ions out.

At the very least we should learn some interesting things from this build, and it may represent some significant advancement, even at .16T. Hope Joel gets this funded!
n*kBolt*Te = B**2/(2*mu0) and B^.25 loss scaling? Or not so much? Hopefully we'll know soon...