More rendering

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

hanelyp

More rendering

Post by hanelyp »

Fields of a couple variations calculated by the image coil method. One coil face removed for better view.
Arrows where magrid field stronger, dots where image field stronger.

Calculated and rendered in PoVray.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

KitemanSA

Re: More rendering

Post by KitemanSA »

Doesn't look right.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Took a closer look at the code, made some corrections and improvements.

mattman

Post by mattman »

Hey,

Nice work! Can I download a copy of this code somewhere? I went and looked at ProVray.

http://www.povray.org/download/

I am assuming it is hard to code a circular ring inside the code.

If you want to benchmark it against WB-6, here are some useful stats on that machine:

The rings had a cross sectional diameter of 0.0265 meters.

The rings had a radius of 0.127 meters (from the axis of one ring to the dead center of that ring).

The s distance (the distance from the mid-plane of one ring in WB6 to the center of the whole MaGrid structure) was 0.1963 meters.

These dimensions are based off of blue prints presented in Bussard's talk "Should Google Go Nuclear" and from his 2006 IAF paper.

Each ring had between 20,000 and 800,000 Amp*Turns each. I did all the modeling at 20K AmpTurns.

If you want to check your B-feild strength, here are some simple formulas to do so:

Those formulas should give you numbers close to what the code is telling you. If you want to check your results, the fields you get in the XY plane ought to look something like this:

If you have MATLAB, you can download a user-friendly code which does some of this here:

https://github.com/ThePolywellGuy/Matlab-Modeling

===
This is tough stuff. A bunch of people on here have made computer models, HappyJack, Indrek, Randy, ect... If you get videos of particle motions, you could put them up on YouTube. I have deep respect for anyone who can get a working model - as it is hard to do, the code I made took about 8 months....

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

I've attached a zip of the source. Note that it's calculating scale free, not to any particular dimension or amp-turns.

The PoVray scene description language is very flexible for general calculations, thought not necessarily very efficient.
Attachments
pwsim.zip
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

D Tibbets

Post by D Tibbets »

I agree with KitemanSA. :shock: Even in the second iteration, the fields are not all oriented opposite to all others. Your top and bottom magnets are opposing as are the shown side magnets. But, the side magnets are not opposed to the top and bottom magnets- there are no cusps in the corners. This would produce the face centered point cusps, but the sides/ corners are screwed up. The polarity of ALL of the magnets must be the same - must have the same pole facing inward .

Use a 2 D model, then extend it to three dimensions if you can. I think you would have to have the ability to rotate the model in at least one axis to appreciate the 3 dimensional structure visually.

Dan Tibbets
To error is human... and I'm very human.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

The second image on the first post has a couple bugs, not enough current segments and the magnets rotated relative to what is drawn.

Take a closer look at the first image and my second post. The field shown is in a plane that passes between the side magnets. In that plane, field comes in through the top and bottom magnets and leaves along the sides.