Gian Luca Delzanno working with EMC2

Discuss how polywell fusion works; share theoretical questions and answers.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

Gian Luca Delzanno working with EMC2

Post by mattman »

Hello all,

http://losalamosconnect.net/6-28-10-nat ... -problems/

I found this from 2010. Apparently EMCC needed help from some of the staff at Los Alamos. These people were involved:

Glen Wurden
Gian Luca Delzanno
Mark Smith

I know who Glen is. He has a PhD and worked with Nebel. Mark is a technician at LANL. Delzanno is a LANL fusion theorist. He normally does simulations of laser-plasma interactions (meaning NIF work). I would like to know if this work continued. I found a presentation from Wurden in 2012, summarizing LANL's current outside fusion help. They seem to work on everything BUT IEC: i.e. FRC, pinches, tokamaks, diagnostics, PIC and ICF.

Can anyone find get more information about what Delzanno did for EMC2?

hanelyp

Re: Gian Luca Delzanno working with EMC2

Post by hanelyp »

You need to be careful if you're trying to adapt simulation code from ICF to IEC devices like the polywell. Plasma conditions are so vastly different that simplifying assumptions that work well on one may be completely invalid on the other.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

crowberry

Post by crowberry »

The short news item mentions four companies working on the polywell! Which companies would that be in addition to EMC2?
Fusion-power technology: Four Northern New Mexico companies are collaborating on a prototype based on the Polywell, an evolving fusion-power technology. Fusion power is a form of nuclear energy found naturally in the sun. It creates nuclear energy by fusing light nuclei together in a plasma state, rather than splitting heavy nuclei and leaving radioactive waste. LANL scientists Glen Wurden and Mark Smith and theorist Gian Luca Delzanno are helping the companies understand instabilities in the plasma that affect the reactor’s operation. “The stakes are high in developing new energy technologies,” said Wurden. “The companies are working to make fusion power practical, and LANL is proud to provide assistance that will enable new options for our energy future.”

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

should you have the last post in news?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.