Polywell design worksheet

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Jccarlton

Polywell design worksheet

Post by Jccarlton »

In the past I have built excel spreadsheet design worksheets to help determine design parameters and get a napkin sheet preliminary design without having work through all the numbers every time I wanted to change something. Sort of an A changes B which causes C sort of deal. I would like to start a Polywell sheet, but I'm not sure what numbers are important and drive the model and which are not. for instance do I start with an assumed well diameter or is magnetic field strength drive. Is magnet size a driver or driven. Is the spacing for the grid a constant or does it depend on field size. I'm going to start the sheet with what I think are drivers, but input will be appreciated.

MSimon

Re: Polywell design worksheet

Post by MSimon »

Jccarlton wrote:In the past I have built excel spreadsheet design worksheets to help determine design parameters and get a napkin sheet preliminary design without having work through all the numbers every time I wanted to change something. Sort of an A changes B which causes C sort of deal. I would like to start a Polywell sheet, but I'm not sure what numbers are important and drive the model and which are not. for instance do I start with an assumed well diameter or is magnetic field strength drive. Is magnet size a driver or driven. Is the spacing for the grid a constant or does it depend on field size. I'm going to start the sheet with what I think are drivers, but input will be appreciated.
I have already done such a sheet. Why not do yours and we can cross check?

Start with radius. Well voltage. Drive energy (center of mass). Reaction rates. Energy density. Magnetic field. Wiffle ball factor. etc.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.