SC coil design question

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

krenshala

SC coil design question

Post by krenshala »

I didn't want to clutter up the 'real' thread with my side question so I thought I start a thread of my own for this.

In the SC Coil Design thread you've got the diagram of tubing for the MaGrid torus. I was thinking yesterday (I know, a dangerous prospect :D ) ...

Assuming the superconducting coil in a torus was long enough, if you had the LN2 pipe in the middle of the tube, with the SC strands wrapped around it in a thin layer kind of like the conducting mesh layer in coaxial cable, would it provide any benefits over putting a "solid" SC coil inside the LN2 jacket?

Billy Catringer

Re: SC coil design question

Post by Billy Catringer »

krenshala wrote:I didn't want to clutter up the 'real' thread with my side question so I thought I start a thread of my own for this.

In the SC Coil Design thread you've got the diagram of tubing for the MaGrid torus. I was thinking yesterday (I know, a dangerous prospect :D ) ...

Assuming the superconducting coil in a torus was long enough, if you had the LN2 pipe in the middle of the tube, with the SC strands wrapped around it in a thin layer kind of like the conducting mesh layer in coaxial cable, would it provide any benefits over putting a "solid" SC coil inside the LN2 jacket?

You might be onto something here. There is no reason that the interior coolant tube could not be the same shape as the superconducting strip. Even so, I still like the Bitter Plates better. They are stronger and easier to keep cool.

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Remember, the inner coolant is LHe, not LN, at least for most WB100 conversations.