Spark plugs for feed throughs

Discuss the technical details of an "open source" community-driven design of a polywell reactor.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MitchellJames

Spark plugs for feed throughs

Post by MitchellJames »

I just spent some time tracking down the smallest cheapest spark plug that I could find for a vacuum chamber feed through. The smallest cheapest one I could find is a Denso U20M-U sold by www.sparkplugs.com. 10mm dia at the threads. The cost was $2.24 each with shipping and handling of $10. I bought 20 for one test system. I need a lot of feed throughs. The vacuum chamber wall for this test doubles has a magnetic field conductor so the size of holes in it matters.

Tom Ligon

Post by Tom Ligon »

Long time no see! Sounds like you're seriously building something!

drmike

Post by drmike »

Excellent, thanks! I've just been looking at ways to build a vacuum chamber with my spare scrap, and figured spark plugs would be perfect for feedthrus.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Spark plugs are supposed to be good for 30 to 35KV. Their nominal rating is around 15KV with the spark gap in place so that makes sense.

You might also want to get a plug that is available in resistive/nonresistive styles as many of the fusor folks are using a ballast resistor of around 400K ohms. The resistors in the plug are around 5K.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MitchellJames

Post by MitchellJames »

Tom Ligon wrote:Long time no see! Sounds like you're seriously building something!
I haven't had anything to report. The current test set-up is the simplest possible thing I could think of for investigating extending electron entrapment time. However it still requires a lot of stuff some of which I haven't figured out how to obtain yet at a price I can afford. For something like these spark plugs it took days to figure out the right search term to get a lead on the type of spark plug that I was after. I expect that other people could use the results without all the searching.

MitchellJames

Post by MitchellJames »

MSimon wrote:Spark plugs are supposed to be good for 30 to 35KV. Their nominal rating is around 15KV with the spark gap in place so that makes sense.
You might also want to get a plug that is available in resistive/nonresistive styles as many of the fusor folks are using a ballast resistor of around 400K ohms. The resistors in the plug are around 5K.
These plugs are an extremely old non-resistive style. I intend to cut off the spark gap electrode (the bent piece) and just use some non-lead solder for internal connections.

MitchellJames

Post by MitchellJames »

drmike wrote:Excellent, thanks! I've just been looking at ways to build a vacuum chamber with my spare scrap, and figured spark plugs would be perfect for feedthrus.
I didn't realize that spark plugs could be used as feedthroughs until I came across a reference to the practice in "Vacuum Equipment and Techniques" which is a book about practices and equipment used at the Radiation Laboratory, University of California during the Manhattan Project. Modern off-the-shelf feedthroughs cost more than a garage experiment can afford.

tombo

Post by tombo »

Cool.
How hard a vacuum are they good for?
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

MitchellJames

Post by MitchellJames »

tombo wrote:Cool.
The experiments they were being used in went down to 10-8. I tend to think that other parts of the vacuum system would fail first. Mostly depends on how good the metal seal is. Might take a little bit of experimenting. But at $2.50 for a feed through I am willing to do quite a bit of experimenting.

tombo

Post by tombo »

MitchellJames wrote:
The experiments they were being used in went down to 10-8. I tend to think that other parts of the vacuum system would fail first. Mostly depends on how good the metal seal is. Might take a little bit of experimenting. But at $2.50 for a feed through I am willing to do quite a bit of experimenting.
Nice.
That book sounds like a really good resource.
Does it have any water cooled high voltage power feed-throughs?
I'm looking for something with a 1/2" to 1", or more, copper tube through it.
-Tom Boydston-
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn’t be called research, would it?" ~Albert Einstein

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

MitchellJames wrote:
Copper gaskets are supposed to be especially good. Can you get those and buy extras?
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.