News: Iran, Polywell and 8 Million Dollars? ?

Discuss ways to make polywell research more widely known or better understood. Includes education and outreach.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

mattman

News: Iran, Polywell and 8 Million Dollars? ?

Post by mattman »

Hello All,

Anyone know if this news story is real or fake? I do not believe it. The date is 11/13/12.

http://en.trend.az/regions/iran/2087514.html

"...developing a nuclear fusion device which operates by method of inertial electrostatic confinement. Development of this nuclear fusion producing device has been started in March 2010 in Iran.

Rahimi noted that the first phase of the project had some $8 million scheduled to be allocated for it..."

zapkitty

Re: News: Iran, Polywell and 8 Million Dollars? ?

Post by zapkitty »

mattman wrote:Hello All,
Anyone know if this news story is real or fake? I do not believe it. The date is 11/13/12.
It's quite real. Why would you not believe it?

Indeed... LPP, for one, has been sharing research papers with their counterparts in other nations, including Iran.

(Yes, it's permitted under the sanctions.)

And it makes sense from the Iranian point of view... because, just as it was with Iraq, what the Empire really wants from Iran is control over access to Iran's oil.

Aneutronic fusion solves that problem nicely for the Iranians while mooting any further hysterics about proliferation and simultaneously sticking it to the carbonarchy big time.

What's not to believe?

An aneutronic Iran will not only have the wealth enabled by having fusion available but it will have the competitive advantages of being a fusion pioneer... and it will still have its oil resources for internal use during the switchover and for manufacturing purposes afterwards.

Halliburton would be hurtin'...

mattman

Post by mattman »

Zapkitty,

There are many rumors on the internet - and I am skeptical.

I hope the internet is self-policing.

You cannot say this is true, just because you read the same news article as me.

If its true, I am impressed they kept an 8 million dollars investment under wraps since 2009.

Mr. V. Damideh from the Iranian research group posts here all the time - can he verify this?

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

... *sigh*

Iran has a large investment in ongoing energy research, including fusion.

Some of the Iranians working on the aneutronic fusion projects even came to the U.S. to visit LPP.

... oh, and by the way, Iran sending academics involved in the projects to other countries to talk about the projects with foreign scientists isn't exactly trying to keep the project under wraps.

... should we now look forward to hearing about this breaking news from you in 4 posts in 4 different categories all linking to the same article in your blog?...

mattman

Post by mattman »

There is no need to be mean over this.

I would much rather work together to push fusion forward.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

And it makes sense from the Iranian point of view... because, just as it was with Iraq, what the Empire really wants from Iran is control over access to Iran's oil.
It is close to irrelevant at this point. Fracking. Tar sands. Oil shale. etc.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

mattman wrote:Hello All,

http://en.trend.az/regions/iran/2087514.html

"...developing a nuclear fusion device which operates by method of inertial electrostatic confinement. Development of this nuclear fusion producing device has been started in March 2010 in Iran.

Rahimi noted that the first phase of the project had some $8 million scheduled to be allocated for it..."
We had some Iranians here a while back. They may still lurk.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

zapkitty

Post by zapkitty »

MSimon wrote:It is close to irrelevant at this point. Fracking. Tar sands. Oil shale. etc.
?

The global market is the key concern of the elites and Iran's massive reserves of readily available oil that doesn't need to be fracked or cooked out of the ground is an advantage that a state that isn't a "team player" just can't be allowed to keep.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

zapkitty wrote:
MSimon wrote:It is close to irrelevant at this point. Fracking. Tar sands. Oil shale. etc.
?

The global market is the key concern of the elites and Iran's massive reserves of readily available oil that doesn't need to be fracked or cooked out of the ground is an advantage that a state that isn't a "team player" just can't be allowed to keep.
http://powerandcontrol.blogspot.com/200 ... tlook.html

Iran is not maintaining its fields or infrastructure it will be off the market in 3 to 5 years according to an oil geologist friend (see link above).

Also look up "Iran inflation" - according to the government it is running 30% a month. According to outside sources 70% a month.

Having Iran off the market is good for oil producers.

Fracked is no big deal. There is 40 years of experience. Costs have been going down. Production costs about $25 to $30 a bbl.

The Saudis have a minimum price of about $80 a bbl to keep their economy going. So that is the floor.

cgray45

Post by cgray45 »

Fundamentally it's the same for Iran as it is the US-- a relatively low cost program that could return them big dividends-- not simply physically, but in terms of propaganda if Iran develops the first workable fusion reactor. That's a great strength of polywell research-- you can do work-- meaningful work, that doesn't have a pricetag in the billions.
Check out my blog-- not just about fusion, but anything that attracts this 40 something historians interest.