They Regulate Everything In The Body

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

MSimon

They Regulate Everything In The Body

Post by MSimon »

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

TDPerk

Re: They Regulate Everything In The Body

Post by TDPerk »

I suppose your tunnel vision has prevented you from observing the maleficent influence of the government in the matter of the far more fundamentally important system governing another naturally occurring substance, lipids?

You should turn you attention to that, it does far more actually damage, and is equally unconstitutional.
molon labe
montani semper liberi
para fides paternae patria

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

TDPerk wrote:I suppose your tunnel vision has prevented you from observing the maleficent influence of the government in the matter of the far more fundamentally important system governing another naturally occurring substance, lipids?

You should turn you attention to that, it does far more actually damage, and is equally unconstitutional.
I follow what I have studied. Got a link to get me started on lipids?

Although I must say interfering with medicine that helps regulate every system in the body is a crime against humanity.
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Stubby

Post by Stubby »

Dr Sanjay Gupta does a remarkable 180 on medical marijuana, goes as far as apologizing for helping to mislead americans on the subject.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/0 ... -marijuana
Everything is bullshit unless proven otherwise. -A.C. Beddoe

rj40

Post by rj40 »

Yeah, that Gupta thing. How about that? Surprisingly forceful. Anyone can say almost anything, but who should you believe? He could have been surgeon general too. Well, I think he was under consideration. I wonder, full legalization by...what...2020? Sort of like beer? I think I will still avoid the stuff myself.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipid
there you go. work it from there.
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

ladajo

Post by ladajo »

Gupta is not giving a blanket approval.
He even admits there are medical fakers, as well as dependancy issues.
He is especially concerned about younger users.

BUt I am sure his comments will be misrepresented by the dopers.
The development of atomic power, though it could confer unimaginable blessings on mankind, is something that is dreaded by the owners of coal mines and oil wells. (Hazlitt)
What I want to do is to look up C. . . . I call him the Forgotten Man. (Sumner)

Betruger

Post by Betruger »

You can do anything you want with laws except make Americans obey them. | What I want to do is to look up S. . . . I call him the Schadenfreudean Man.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rj40 wrote:Yeah, that Gupta thing. How about that? Surprisingly forceful. Anyone can say almost anything, but who should you believe? He could have been surgeon general too. Well, I think he was under consideration. I wonder, full legalization by...what...2020? Sort of like beer? I think I will still avoid the stuff myself.
Don't believe anything. Study the matter and come to your own conclusion. Endocannabinoids.

BTW you can't avoid it. The body makes vast quantities on its own. But like any other bodily system when there are imbalances intervention is called for.

Now do you want an agonist or an antagonist? And which cannabinoid should predominate? It depends on what you are treating.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:Gupta is not giving a blanket approval.
He even admits there are medical fakers, as well as dependancy issues.
He is especially concerned about younger users.

BUt I am sure his comments will be misrepresented by the dopers.
The chief misrepresentatives on the subject are prohibitionists.

There are more endocannabinoid receptors in the body than any other receptor type. The endocannabinoid system is a major regulator in the body implicated in almost all diseases including cancer.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/12/02/w ... ic-deaths/

Seems like a good reason right there to legalize. Lower traffic accidents caused by alkys who have switched. Traffic accidents kill a LOT of innocents.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

ladajo wrote:Gupta is not giving a blanket approval.
The only known dependency issue is this:

People in chronic pain chronically take pain relievers.

Gupta has taken a good first step. He has a LOT more study to do.

In another 10 years his attitudes will appear quaint. Despite his being on the cutting edge today.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

A recent study published in the Journal of American Medicine has some conclusions that might make marijuana advocates pretty excited. According to the study, the potent plant usually known for causing the munchies might actually help people be thinner. Researchers looked at the effect of the drug on metabolic processes and discovered a correlation between smaller waist circumference and marijuana use.

The results showed that, in addition to being thinner, marijuana users appeared to be more healthy overall than those who have never used marijuana.

The study looked at more than 4,600 people, 12 percent of whom said they were current marijuana users and 42 percent of whom said they had used in the past. Previous research had shown that marijuana users had a lower prevalence for diabetes and obesity, but this was the first study where scientists tried to determine if there was a link between insulin and glucose levels and marijuana usage, Yahoo Shine reported.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/ ... -non-users

rj40

Post by rj40 »

I don't have time to study everything, so I find myself relying on what I see as reasonable. And scientific consensus. And then making voting level decisions. I have poked around a bit on the marijuana issue and found some pretty scary stuff and some good stuff. I am leaning towards not being too worried about it. I could be wrong, but my best estimate, right now, is to vote yeah on some sort of legalization.

Also, I understand very little about inflation theory and the Big Bang, but, the consensus (not 100%!!!) seems to be that it really happened. So I will give my provisional support to that too. And vote accordingly. The Big Bang and inflation should be taught in every school. :-)

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

rj40,

The thing is - we are incarcerating people based on pseudo science. You know the drill. Burn the witches. Or in this case burn the dopers. They have nasty habits. At the very least. Speaking of nasty habits:
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/10/everyth ... _is_wrong/

At the heart of “High Price” is the argument that current U.S. drug policies are not only morally wrong, but scientifically wrong as well, a game of politics and fear-mongering in which our government sanctions the widespread prescription of certain drugs, while locking more than 1.5 million people behind bars each year for the use of others. If you’ve ever wondered why our nation pops OxyContin like candy, while its twin sister, heroin, evokes fears of driveling, strung-out junkies, High Price has an answer – just perhaps not the one you were expecting. I caught up with Hart to talk about the book, his career and how he thinks American drug policy needs to change.
You grew up in an environment where many of your peers and family led lives plagued by drugs, prison and violent death, yet you became a neuroscientist and the first tenured black professor of science at Columbia University. In the book you cite hard work and influential mentors as factors in your success, but reserve a large portion of credit to the absence of the criminal justice system in your life, despite the fact that you did use and sell drugs as a youth. What role does the criminal justice system play in perpetuating cycles of poverty, violence and drug use?