Shutdown The Government

Discuss life, the universe, and everything with other members of this site. Get to know your fellow polywell enthusiasts.

Moderators: tonybarry, MSimon

Diogenes

Re: Shutdown The Government

Post by Diogenes »

GIThruster wrote:Is it creeping anyone else out, how crazy this guys sounds above?

I find him hilarious. He's so "out there" that you can't take him seriously. He's like "The Brain", telling us how he's going to take over the world! He's a hoot!

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Schneibster wrote:
GIThruster wrote:Oh. . .let us all now worship at the alter of the Schneibster.
Hell no.

Smarter than you though. And you should use it as a resource, not be afraid of it.

One thing I'll tell you for sure is I'll never lie. I would no more lie to you than I would lie to schoolkids.

I'll vouch for that. This man absolutely does not lie.

It is because he can't tell the difference.

Schneibster wrote:
And I'll tell you this too: there's more than one kind of smart and there are several kinds I'm not. But most smart people only are good at one kind and I'm good at three. So have some respect, and some taste, or I'll embarrass you and lay your soul to waste.

Oh, and he might be on drugs.
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

KitemanSA wrote:Gee, that's much better. I just "foe"d Schneibster and I feel better already.

User Control Panel
Manage Friends and Foes

You sure you want to do that? You're going to miss all the funny things he says!

:)
— Lord Melbourne —

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

Getting back on topic...

via https://twitter.com/morgenr/status/3852 ... 52/photo/1

and
Shutdown overreach: More personnel sent to WWII memorial than Benghazi; Park Service closes park it doesn't run
http://washingtonexaminer.com/shutdown- ... le/2536710
It looks like the park "service" is spending more to forcibly close some places than it would to leave them open with no services. <sarc>Good way to encourage respect for authority.</sarc>
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

MSimon

Post by MSimon »

Diogenes wrote:I'll vouch for that. This man absolutely does not lie.

Too funny.
My bet is alcohol. A very dangerous and addictive drug which is known to addle brains and is readily available in the legal market. As opposed to the "bad" drugs which are readily available in the black market. The damage caused by alcohol is long term and cumulative. Unlike heroin say - if you quit heroin your body/brain is in relatively good shape. And then there is pot which like most anti-depressants grows brain cells. And is known to prevent/cure cancer. The cancer industry will take a very big hit if cannabis becomes legal.

Biochemist Dennis Hill, who cured his stage 4 prostate cancer with Cannabis oil, explains how it works
Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

MSimon wrote:
Diogenes wrote:I'll vouch for that. This man absolutely does not lie.

Too funny.
My bet is alcohol. A very dangerous and addictive drug which is known to addle brains and is readily available in the legal market. As opposed to the "bad" drugs which are readily available in the black market. The damage caused by alcohol is long term and cumulative. Unlike heroin say - if you quit heroin your body/brain is in relatively good shape. And then there is pot which like most anti-depressants grows brain cells. And is known to prevent/cure cancer. The cancer industry will take a very big hit if cannabis becomes legal.

Biochemist Dennis Hill, who cured his stage 4 prostate cancer with Cannabis oil, explains how it works

And Simon i'm happy to see you. We disagree about the drug stuff, but i'm still wishing you well.
— Lord Melbourne —

rjaypeters

Post by rjaypeters »

ladajo wrote: Term Limits I say! Term limits! Enough of this Dynasty Buildng Crap in D.C.

Two total terms for all. Period. No if ands or butts. I might consider a Third if it is someone moving up a notch. Like from Congress to P/VP.
I recommend we not re-elect federal incumbents for about twenty-five years. Problem: Congressional staffs will become more powerful because they know how to make the Senate and House _run_. I would hope the staffers adopt the French* model for their representative staffs - the professional staffers disinterestedly carry out the will of the elected representatives.

Ah well, another dream...

*I know there are problems with adopting anything from that Continental country, but they do some things very well. Professional sailing comes to mind.
"Aqaba! By Land!" T. E. Lawrence

R. Peters

williatw

Post by williatw »

America's greatest days lie ahead – provided she is true to herself

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danie ... lie-ahead/

... but what about our debt levels? What about the mess of the last five years? What about the way we’re being outgrown by everyone else (except the Eurozone)? How are we supposed to get from our present condition to this happy vision of 2040? How do we transition from the centralised, industrialised America 2.0 to the libertarian America 3.0?

Bennet and Lotus answer with an honesty that no politician dares indulge. The accumulated debt level in the United States is now so colossal that it is impossible for the authorities to honour their obligations. Some creditors – that is, people who hold bonds or expect pensions – will lose money. The trick will be to get this default out of the way as cleanly as possible, and to spread the losses as equitably as possible. As in any bankruptcy, practical considerations matter more than abstract questions of moral desert, and creditors should be encouraged to see that agreeing to a partial loss is better risking everything. Obviously, the federal Government can’t go bankrupt – there is no higher authority to administer the bankruptcy – but the process should be similar. The authors call it the Big Haircut, and stress that, in order for it to be credible – that is, in order to convince everyone that it was not the first of many write-offs – the structural causes of the original fiscal collapse would need to be removed: government programmes wound up, federal responsibilities devolved or terminated, social security entitlements privatised.

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Something I read in an Ellery Queen Mystery magazine decades ago.
(Pardon me if I don't get it exactly right.)

The state of my finances
has driven me up the wall
I'm always borrowing from Peter
and giving it to Paul
but I have thought of a clever way
to solve my problems all
by bumping off old Peter
and blaming it on Paul

Do not neglect the possibility that the monetary debt will be resolved by bloodshed.

Much of those financial obligations are Retirement funds for over promised programs.

Default on it, and people are going to die.

Actually, i'm not seeing how many of us will get out of this mess alive. People were encouraged to spend because everyone had a retirement safety net, so people were more extravagant than they would otherwise have been if they believed they had to save for their retirement.

It helped the economy by keeping the money churning instead of locked away in people's bank accounts for their retirement.

They really were fools for believing that FDR and the Government would protect them.
— Lord Melbourne —

KitemanSA

Post by KitemanSA »

Diogenes wrote:
KitemanSA wrote:Gee, that's much better. I just "foe"d Schneibster and I feel better already.
You sure you want to do that? You're going to miss all the funny things he says!
I never found insanity to be all that funny. Nor nastiness for that matter.

Bobcat Goldthwait and Don Rickles never appealed to me.

hanelyp

Post by hanelyp »

rjaypeters wrote:...the professional staffers disinterestedly carry out the will of the elected representatives.
The IRS, among other government departments, is supposed to be non-political. That myth is busted. In the real world bureaucrats have a biased interest in their department growing ever bigger and more powerful.
The daylight is uncomfortably bright for eyes so long in the dark.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

It is official I am working for food. Contractors in direct support of the military were told to go home today at 3 pm. this was in direct contradiction of the CNET order given this morning. This means no training for pilots getting ready to deploy to combat zones. They even took the porta potty away from the guys in the field and told them to tag it and bag it.(cat-holes are not allowed any more they must poop in a bag and have it hauled away as hazardous waste)
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.

GIThruster

Post by GIThruster »

Several times now I have heard the media, Harry Reid and the President say that this is an unprecedented move, for congress to carve out a specific item and refuse to fund it. I would remind, that back during the Bush years, as Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi repeatedly threatened both the Senate and the President, that if they included one penny for a Mars program, she would shut down government.

So the real difference is not that this has never been done over single issue. It is that this president is unwilling to negotiate whereas Bush gave the House what Nancy wanted.
"Courage is not just a virtue, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." C. S. Lewis

palladin9479

Post by palladin9479 »

We're still here, at least until October though I highly doubt they'll let us go home haha.

It's high stakes poker in congress right now, this gonna be one for the history books.

paperburn1

Post by paperburn1 »

palladin9479 wrote:We're still here, at least until October though I highly doubt they'll let us go home haha.

It's high stakes poker in congress right now, this gonna be one for the history books.
Are you guys on the OCT 17 drop dead list?
I am not a nuclear physicist, but play one on the internet.